cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimV
Occasional Poster

Re: Sound regularly cutting out for a second during viewing

Hi, 

Afraid the problem is exactly the same again. Still getting a second or two of the sound cutting out randomly I'm afraid. Updates doesn't seem to have made any difference. 

0 Thanks
SeeMoreDigital Champion 5
Champion 5

@JimV wrote:
...hoping they wouldn't be selling a box without a solution....

Hi @JimV,

Sufficed to say, if the NOW TV service had 'inherent' audio issues the forum would be full of complaining posts. But where are they?!

I'm watching a 'live' stream on Fox right now and it looks and sounds great Smiley Wink 

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

0 Thanks
JimV
Occasional Poster

I beg your pardon?
0 Thanks
onlyhereforhelp
Occasional Poster

Sound distortion

Ive got the small black Now TV/Roku box, checked its all updated, switched it all off and on, etc. This is an intermittent issue that has been going on for a few months now, but is definitely getting more frequent. It happens on both Tv shows in the entertainment section and always at least once per movie in the Movies section.

There will just be a random split second of ear piercing distortion, I thought it might have been something to do with my TV or surround sound, but it seems to be part of the recording. I just watched an episode of Family Guy on catch up (season 15, episode 4) and it happened 4 times in that one episode, and you can go back, rewind it, and it happens in the same places. One instance occurs just after 16 mins 30 seconds in.

ukbobboy
Expert 2

Re: Sound distortion

@onlyhereforhelp

Hi Only Here

Your problem reminds me of my own with my TV, when a certain frequency or sound is broadcast my TV speakers react by letting out a "clanging tinny high pitched screech", which only lasts for a second or so.

Unfortunately, it's random and I cannot yet Identify the sound or frequency that triggers this reaction in my TV and, as such, cannot demonstrate the problem to anyone else.

However, I do know that this problem I am having with my TV is not directly related to my original NowTV black box or the Roku 3 box I am now using.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
dr_necessitor
Scholar 5

@onlyhereforhelp

Yes I have noticed the same sound issue here but only when watching NOW TV (seen, or rather heard!, it on both live sports and entertainment catchup) which are viewed here via Roku 2.

As certain as I can be that it's NOT a fault with the TV because:

it NEVER happens when watching live TV (via TV's built in tuner),

it NEVER happens when watching YouView (live and playback of recordings),

it NEVER happens when watching Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 etc (all via Roku 2 or via YouView box).

It ONLY EVER happens when watching NOW TV, so my guess is that it's due to some sort of problem with NOW TV systems at their end, and the TV is simply processing the sound and vision that it receives - including said occasional audio chirp/screech which comes out very loudly when it occurs.

The problem, as always, is that it's randomly intermittent and so will be difficult to get somebody to take serious notice of it and hunt down the cause.

0 Thanks
onlyhereforhelp
Occasional Poster

@SeeMoreDigital- Just because your having a great experience doesnt mean everyone else is.

0 Thanks
onlyhereforhelp
Occasional Poster

@ukbobboy- The sound you have described seems similar, but it is not compeletely at random. It is intermittent but I can rewind and play it back again, as many times as I want.

@dr_necessitor- I have not experienced it with other devices or apps either. I use the PS4 a lot, as well as Netflix built into the TV and dont get this issue.

0 Thanks
onlyhereforhelp
Occasional Poster

Well as an experiment I tried to play the same show again to see if it happened again in the same place, and it did. My entire setup (TV, Black box, internet router, etc) has been off and unplugged overnight and all day today as well, and im guessing the little black box doesnt store anything on it.

Id be interested to know if anyone else can reproduce this. It is Family Guy episode 4 on catch up on Fox, at just after 16 mins 30 seconds in (play it from 16:25 or so to be sure you dont miss it).

onlyhereforhelp
Occasional Poster

Additionally, I have just tried it via the app on my iPad and the fault did not occur. I'd still be intrigued if any other black box users were able to replicate the audio issue.