cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quality disappointing and other comments

Just recently signed up for now TV sport package to watch some summer sports and I found the quality lacking. I use the LG smart app and visually it looks clear but the frame rate is very bad and watching cricket the ball has serious ghosting. For the price I think that is poor. Considering euro sport coats like £8 per month and doesn't have this issue.

I understand sky charges so much because they have to pay extortionate amounts for English premier rights but I don't watch football. I'd much prefer it if the football was removed and it was cheaper. Also Eurosport has no adverts on some of their matches but sky has constant long annoying adverts even between every over in cricket and I wouldn't expect this much adverts when paying like £40 per month. 

Also on the lg app it shows content which I don't pay, I don't want to see all this film content as I have not paid for it. It seems the app should be better and only show sports, if that's what I pay for.

I think the player on windows has a better frame rate but that is so buggy and unreliable making it hassle to use.

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

For some reason NOW don’t support 50fps for sports channels on LG TV 😡 

See list of supported devices for boost and 50fps.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

• One of these devices: 
    • NOW Smart Stick
    • Any NOW Box
    • Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd & 3rd Gen, 4K & 4K Max, Lite & Basic Edition)
    • Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen (2019)
    • Amazon Fire TV 2nd Gen (2015) & 3rd Gen (2017)
    • Amazon Fire TV Edition – JVC 4K (2019), HD/FHD (2020), 2K (2021) & UHD (2021); Technika/Bush 4K (2020)
    • Nebula Soundbar (2019)
    • Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick
    • A supported Samsung TV
    • Sony TV (most models from 2016)
    • PS4
    • PS5
    • Xbox One (50fps not currently available)
    • Xbox Series X & S (50fps not currently available)
    • Apple TV HD (gen 4) or 4K (Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound not supported on Apple TV)
    • YouView (including TalkTalk & BT boxes)
    • LG Web OS TV (50fps not currently available)
    • JVC Fire TV Edition Smart 4K TV
    • Chromecast Ultra or 3rd generation (see the image below if you're not sure what generation your Chromecast is).
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It shouldn't need 50fps to have clear motion. 30fps would be sufficient and is there any reason for the LG tv's (which are very common) to not have at least 30fps? I can't think of one. 

Sounds like a defect to me. 

How would that be any different than saying oh by the way, the product you just bought is in black and white on x and y and z, tough luck. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User just to clear things up, what device are you using to watch Eurosport as I'm not aware that it's available as an app on LG TVs?

If you are using an external device for Eurosport then it is probably 1080p 50fps where as the Now app on an LG TV is 720p 25fps without Boost membership or 1080p 25fps with Boost membership, hence the difference in viewing quality.

High speed objects (like a ball) need a higher frame rate to look smooth. Your TV will have some settings you can play around with to try and smooth it out (software making up frames) but it isn't flawless.

I use the Now app on a Roku Premiere, pay for the Boost membership (which gives 1080p 50fps for sport) and the picture is perfect.

Adverts are governed by Ofcom. There can't be any more than 7 minutes per hour of live broadcast so the adverts you see on Sky are no different to ITV, Channel 4 etc. Sky may show more, shorter, adverts whereas Eurosport may show less, longer adverts. I watch a lot of cricket and it's not at the end of every over. It may be every third or fourth over during a test match.

You shouldn't be paying £40. The monthly cost of Now is £33.99 but there are often offers, or, do what most regular users do and start the cancellation process. You'll probably get halfway through it and be offered a retention deal which sometimes is as much as half price for a few months.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is not full adverts every over but they do often break to a quickie advert between overs. Then they do the long one ever 3 or 4 depending on the type of cricket. It is just kills it for me because cricket is so relaxing sport like golf and then to have these obnoxious adverts all the time, if you think about other sports they do good 45 or 40 minutes with no adverts. Adverts was only a minor point I raised any way. 

You are correct Eurosport do not make an app for LG TV which is also annoying. They do for android based OS TVs. Do you know why LG OS has these issues? is it the licensing costs from LG or just the effort of building and maintaining another code base? It seems you already do have an app though so what possible reason could there be not to make it at least 1080p 50fps. 

I honestly think at 25fps the cricket ball could still be tracked, it must be a defect in the decoding or interlacing or the LG OS codecs or something like that. 

Yea i already have a vero 4k and windows media pc, the next TV i buy will probably have an android OS like Sony, for this reason. I could buy a roku but it seems a lot to just watch sport. At the moment I am using the windows pc Eurosport through the browser works great and now TV through the browser with the bulky player. Seems to have OK quality that way. 

I think it is 33.99 which is basically 34 and then 5.99 which is basically 6 for boost. 34+6 is 40.