Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Si-99
Scholar

Re: Pre-episode advert/trailer

Jason-C wrote:

Hi @maxwells_daemon@Stevo99@dr_necessitor@ClockEnd@pethead65

I've also responded in the other thread, if you want to take a look there.

To note here, it is early days for this feature, and we'll be changing things based on feedback and usage. Your voices in this are important, so please let us know if there are any other amendments you think should be made.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason, long time no speak.

Just wondering how this deeply unpopular 'feature' has been modified in the light of your comment above from last year? I note that there is still a steady drip of complaints so not at all is my guess.

Also, I recall you said they should/would/could be skippable - any progress on that?   No, thought not.

Any news at all please?

moroboshi
Expert

I've just run into this and I felt physically sick. I suppose it was only a matter of time until bilge like this appeared. Ads have no place on a subscription streaming service, as Netflix have proved. 

The gulf in user experience between Netflix (zero ads, 4K, HDR, Dolby Atmos) and Now TV (mandatory unskippable ads, 720p, stereo sound) continues to widen.  And that's too say nothing of the lack of decent content on Now TV. 

It's just as well Sky are only charging me £3.50 a month as there's no way I'd pay more. Now TV is to be frank, a joke. It's even worse than Amazon Prime. 

0 Thanks
pwl
Advocate

Hi,

Adding my feedback. The adverts are really annoying and are causing me to consider cancelling the subscription. They're becoming more and more irritating, playing the same stuff over and over again (how many times am I going to hear "Moana!!" again in that Sky Movies advert?). The advert plays way too often, I'm pretty sure it plays before every on demand TV show I start. There's no "cooldown" or anything similar to stop the advert from playing again - an advert like this should disappear once you watch it once. I'm really hoping you guys will reconsider your current strategy.

Thanks.

pcdoctor
Advocate

Just wanted to put my gripe across as well..

I noticed these pop ups about three weeks ago when trying to catch up on a boxed set before it was removed.  Every time I pressed play for an episode I was preseted with a trailer promoting something NowTV.

Couldn't get rid. jumping back to menu and starting again brought up another trailer!  had no option but to watch it.

Spent last 3 weeks with chat support who denied these trailers exist.  asked me to reset my nowtv boxes all to no avail.

They said my problem is unique and has been referred to a technical support team who will respond 24/48 hours that was two weeks ago.

Tried again today and was told sorry they know about my issue and again will be responded to within 24/48 hours.

Having found this forum thread today I now know there will be no solution as it's obvious these are trailers clearly put there by NowTv "for my enjoyment"

Well I have movie and entertainment passes not yet activated covering serveral months which I don't think I will be using unless Sky stop these annoying popups soon. and to allow customer service to give the runaround to paying customers complaining about these annoying popups is a disgrace.

Soon off to amazon I think.... 

Robinem
Advocate

It seems that watching the ad is the only way to get to the episode, but I've not encountered this on any non Sky Atlantic boxset. For example Futurama (Sky 1) plays right away with me but play something like Game of Thrones and you get the ad.

I don't know if this has come up yet but it has not happened if I hit play next episode after finishing the previous episode. Honestly now even if I was only watching the one I always hit that and let it play through the content warnings, let that play for long enough it jumps into the episode ad free when you come back. The in episode ads are you could skip or fast forward through anyway they're not separate from the episode unlike the pre episode ads or on the free catch up services. 

warleybear
Scholar

To be honest these trailers and the 15% increase in the monthly cost of the Ents package will just anoy people and loose customers.... unless there are special offers, after being with NOW TV for over three years, I will limit it to Christmas and use other platforms.... plenty of choice these days....
PeterGr
Scholar

NOWTV Ads!

REMOVE THE ADS FOR NOWTV BEFORE YOU WATCH ANTHING. THERE ###### AND WILL BE UNSUBSRIBING BY THE END OF THE MONTH IF NOT DONE BY THEN.

0 Thanks
Haskins
Scholar

Re: NOWTV Ads!

Goodbye then.

0 Thanks
Si-99
Scholar

@Si-99 wrote:

@Jason-C wrote:

Hi @maxwells_daemon@Stevo99@dr_necessitor@ClockEnd@pethead65

I've also responded in the other thread, if you want to take a look there.

To note here, it is early days for this feature, and we'll be changing things based on feedback and usage. Your voices in this are important, so please let us know if there are any other amendments you think should be made.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason, long time no speak.

Just wondering how this deeply unpopular 'feature' has been modified in the light of your comment above from last year? I note that there is still a steady drip of complaints so not at all is my guess.

Also, I recall you said they should/would/could be skippable - any progress on that?   No, thought not.

Any news at all please?

Hi Jason, just following up my request for an update with more information about my experience that I'd like to understand.

On July 1st I decided to re-subscribe using a 3 month pass I had left over from when I gave up NOW TV a while ago due to the intrusive unskippable trailers. I was hoping that maybe NOW TV had seen sense.

I was overjoyed to find that I could watch anything at all without the trailers. After two weeks of bliss, and with the price increase coming (no problem IF THERE ARE NO UNSKIPPABLE INTERRUPTIONS) I decided to buy a six month pass.

However yesterday (before I had applied the new pass to my account so no connection to it) disaster struck - THEY STARTED AGAIN! And they were also unskippable, and happened even between episodes of the same programme.

I feel totally cheated as it appears that NOW TV cynically give new or returning subscribers a couple of weeks before they bombard them with these totally unacceptable intrusions.

Is there really no plan to react to subscribers' huge concerns on this issue? And how can they justify not adding the trailers at the beginning of a subscription but adding them later?

Absolutely appalling, and I feel completely ripped off.

0 Thanks
Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Si-99

Thanks for your comments. I'll do my best to update where I can.

We've been slowly rolling these out to more devices and across more of our Passes. When they appear is unrelated to anyone's time of joining, and your experience where they stopped may have been a period where we'd switched them off for technical or other reasons.

I appreciate your frustration, and a skip button is still a potential consideration if we find they're causing people too much grief. A lot of work has gone into making the promos as seemless as possible, and we're constantly monitoring reaction to them.

What we've found so far is that these promotional reels have been hugely successful in helping people find new shows to watch. An older common complaint was that people had trouble knowing what content is available on our service. Changes to our homepage and editorial layout - as well as initiatives like these promos - have worked extremely well to inform people about some of the great TV we have.

Hope this goes some way towards explaining. I've passed your comments along to the teams. I'll be sure to post on the forums if I hear of any further changes to the system.

Jason

0 Thanks