cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Si-99
Scholar

Re: Pre-episode advert/trailer

@SeeMoreDigital

There's no need to waste people's time asking for more details like this - they are prevalent throughout the Now TV output and are a totally unwarranted and unjustified imposition wherever they appear.

0 Thanks
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Si-99 wrote:

There's no need to waste people's time asking for more details like this - they are prevalent throughout the Now TV output and are a totally unwarranted and unjustified imposition wherever they appear.

Really,

I've very rarely seen one. Which is why I'm interested to know what you guys are watching Smiley Surprised

0 Thanks

Hi @Lyndsey3, @Si-99,

Yes, I found the adverts so intrusive, I cancelled my subscription. I'd been generally quite happy with NowTV up to that point, but now I've left I found most of the programmes I wanted to watch elsewhere (paid or free). No other paid site I've used (Virgin, Netflix, Amazon) has unskipable adverts. Virgin has adverts for some programmes, and I don't like that, but at least you can skip them and they are rarely as offensive as the NowTV ones I encountered. I'd probably try NowTV again if they removed the adverts completely (or made the easily skipable), but it's not so bad without ruined NowTV.

Apart from my own annoyance, I'm just boggled that NowTV can so effectively shoot themselves in the foot. The adverts I saw were for other programmes on the service I was already paying them for, so it's no benefit to them. They claimed on this forum that the adverts were there to help their users find other programmes they like, but no one has posted to say they appreciate the ads. A few people said they didn't mind, or didn't get the adverts, or were able to block with a firewall, but no endorsements. All I can conclude is stupidity or venality on Sky's part.

Tim.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Si-99 wrote:

Really,

I've very rarely seen one. Which is why I'm interested to know what you guys are watching Smiley Surprised

@SeeMoreDigital the trailers/adverts are only on Roku/Roku-based devices . So if you use of the devices. Most of the time you're probably not going to see them.

The trailer/adverts are the reason why I don't use the smart box much anymore because I know that every time I do have to watch one of those adverts/trailers. They are becoming more frequent as well. It seems to happen every time I use the smart box now. The vast majority of the time. I now use the LG TV is the trailer/adverts are not on there. The Trailer/adverts used to be far less frequent occurrence. I probably won't use the smart box. Once I add the Xbox One as a device again.

It's funny, really. I am the person that maintains the television information topic, so they don't need to tell me what's available. I already knowSmiley Frustrated

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi all,

@commanda6@maxwells_daemon@SeeMoreDigital@Si-99@Lyndsey3@GhostMjr

Just wanted to say that I've fed back your comments to the teams that manage these promotional videos.

Regarding the confusion around why we do this: Firstly, we see a significant increase in viewing for anything promoted! But also, a common concern we hear from people is that they're unable to find enough to watch. We know there are plenty of great shows and movies on the service, so we're trying every way we can to let people know about them.

Appreciate this may not be useful for everyone, but hopefully it goes some way to explain our reasons. I'll respond on this thread when I learn of any changes to the current system.

Many thanks,

Jason

0 Thanks
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

@SeeMoreDigital the trailers/adverts are only on Roku/Roku-based devices . So if you use of the devices. Most of the time you're probably not going to see them.

Hi @commanda6,

Thanks for the confirmation... This explains why I haven't seen any of these ads/trailers for a while 😉

This being the case, perhaps this entire topic would be better situated within the Roku section of the forum Smiley LOL

0 Thanks
Si-99
Scholar

@Jason-C

All of what you say may be true (although I don't really believe that NOW TV customers 'can't find' content and therefore need to be force-fed ads).

But there is one very big problem, that is totally unique to how Now TV is treating/mistreating its *paying* customers:

We cannot suppress or even skip ads that we have no interest in, and which intrude on our viewing experience.

This really stinks, which is why I'm out until it changes.

0 Thanks
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Given this problem affects NOW TV boxes as well perhaps this entire topic should be left right where it is.

Si-99
Scholar

@SeeMoreDigital

I 100% disagree - this should not be swept under the carpet as a 'Roku thing'. A vast proportion of NOW TV viewers will have come to the platform via the NOW TV boxes (the manufacturer is irrelevant) that they purchased through a supermarket or online retailer. And lots are angry at this change of terms of service.

0 Thanks
Abermaw
Expert

Hi @Si-99

I have been following this thread with interest and I do respect your viewpoint and displeasure at this feature of Now TV, we all have our "Soapboxes" and you only need to look at some of my "Rants" over the "Continue Watching" feature to know that, that is mine!!

I would say that every TV company, over every platform, be it Freeview, Sky or Now TV, promote their shows by a trailer before a new episode,  BBC1 had a preview trailer for some new programme or other at 9pm last night before "The Missing" (I pay for the BBC with my Licence Fee) and it happens all the time.  On NowTV last night, I watched a trailer for "Sport in November" before I watched "30 Degrees in February", I wasn't interested in it (I don't have a Sports Pass and am not likely to get one) but I sat through it...It only lasted for a minute.

What I DO DISAGREE with, is the content of the trailers....If I had kids, I wouldn't be too happy with them seeing, without warning, a violent trailer for "The Walking Dead" but I only disagree on those grounds, not for me but for others.

At other times, I just accept the trailer/advert intrusion as a fact of life, maybe that is wrong but it is so common, as I say, across every TV platform, you cannot get away from it.  Yes, I bought into NowTV when there were no trailers but I would not throw my box out of the window, because of them....It's still a good service and I can watch things that I wouldn't get to see elsewhere.

I realise that "Lots are angry at this change of terms of service", I only need to read this thread to see that but I also see from this thread that others accept the situation.  I cannot agree with all you have said (That's what a forum is all about) but I do respect your right to say it.

Personally, I would rather watch a one minute trailer, before the programme than having it split up with advert breaks.  If I was watching a programme on (For example) ITV or Sky it would take an hour, whereas on NowTV I can watch that same programme in about 45 minutes, including the trailer.  It's a trade-off which is acceptable to me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to annoy you, I'm just giving you my "Two Penn'orth", for what it's worth.

Smiley Wink