cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Si-99
Scholar

Re: Pre-episode advert/trailer

@artesea wrote:

Don't know if you've ever had Sky, but the platform is full of ads, even if you pay £100 a month.

That's one of the reasons why I've never had Sky, and why I signed up for Now TV.

If they start making the platform similar to the intrusive viewing experience of much of Sky (and the commercial TV channels) expect people to vote with their feet.

Si-99
Scholar

@Stevo99 wrote:

Yup , Pre episode trailers are not skippable for me, and not relevant, and not wanted. I dont mind watching trailers , but prefer to chose which ones and when.

Yes, it's the imposition that makes this move so bad - especially when repeated between episodes of the same show.

Si-99
Scholar

@Jason-C wrote:

Hi @maxwells_daemon@Stevo99@dr_necessitor@ClockEnd@pethead65

I've also responded in the other thread, if you want to take a look there.

To note here, it is early days for this feature, and we'll be changing things based on feedback and usage. Your voices in this are important, so please let us know if there are any other amendments you think should be made.

Thanks,

Jason

Being constructive:

1. Make the 'feature' optional - allow subscribers to turn off a global setting so they can choose not to see trailers on anything. Perhaps add a prominent 'Trailers' section in a menu somewhere so subscribers can choose to look by themselves.

2. In any case prevent trailers appearing in sequential episode viewing - surely no-one believes that subscribers would want to endure a (repeated) trailer when moving from one episode to another?

3. Provide a 'skip' button in the first second. And don't force subscribers to try to fast forward with the remote - it's too fiddly.

4. Do not use trailers that are so loud and intrusive - trailers are usually used to gain attention between movies in a cinema, or between other ads, so they are very loud and dramatic. This is a totally inappropriate genre to force on paid-for subscribers at home.

But most of all - please stop the whole thing (and while you're at it, the in-programme station idents as well).

Best,

Simon.

GhostMjr
Mentor

Finished a part watched blacklist and got a trailer after pressing continue watching.

Pressed the back arrow and then got another advert.

It wouldn't let me watch any to episode until I had watched a full advert there was no visible prompt on screen to skip the advert.
Scrimjaw
Advocate

Paying to watch adverts.

So I'm paying a subscription to watch epsiodes of television series. Yet I am bombarded by adverts... why am I paying to watch adverts? Why are any of us?

If they are getting advertising revenue then we shouldnt really be paying a subscription surely?

0 Thanks
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Paying to watch adverts.

@Scrimjaw you could argue same for folk who pay for full Sky,Virgin, BT TV etc. Unfortunately subscription TV does not mean advert free. Of course there are fewer on demand. Adverts are a pain I agree but not huge amount can do.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Jason-C
Community Administrator

Re: Paying to watch adverts.

Hi @Scrimjaw,

The live channels have adverts, as we stream exactly what's broadcast on Sky. Is this what you were watching?

If you watch any on demand content (Catch Up or Box Sets) then there shouldn't be any traditional adverts. Occasionally there are promotional videos highlighting what else is on NOW TV, but no adverts for other products or services.

Thanks,

Jason

0 Thanks
Lyndsey3
Advocate

I'm glad I'm not the only one that objects to these adverts. They are extremely intrusive. I use now TV to watch light TV programs, I stay away from gruesome shows about zombies and violence yet I'm forced to watch adverts for them without being able to skip. I don't want these images burned in my mind when I'm trying to switch off and relax nor do I want my children watching them.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Lyndsey3,

Out of interest... What were you accessing to watch when you saw these adverts?

0 Thanks
Si-99
Scholar

@Lyndsey3

I 100% agree, they are an intolerable intrusion and this is an awful way to treat paying customers.

After two months of failing to get a proper answer from NOW TV despite numerous attempts to complain I let my membership lapse. (They also deliberately  ignore and game their complaints procedure by the way so I will be complaining to their Ombudsman)

When I hear that they have finally listened to customers I will re-join, but not until.

Unbelievably arrogant behaviour from a supposedly paid-for service provider.