cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-episode advert/trailer

Just noticed this today (never seen it before in 8 months of viewing) - after selecting an episode of something in the watchlist, a 15 second pre-episode NOW TV advert/trailer for some other TV show played first then it began playing the selected episode.

I quite liked having no adverts and trailers on NOW TV Entertainment!

Is this the future then for NOW TV Entertainment?

146 REPLIES 146
Anonymous User
Not applicable

With regards these pre-show trailers, I would rather we didn't have them, but for me, as long as they don't become more intrusive I can probably live with them.

HOWEVER, has anyone else noticed recently that the volume level on some of these trailers seems to have gone through the roof!!!  Watched something on catch-up today and it had a pre-show trailer for the ABC show Flashforward and the volume level was way too high....... also recently had trailers for Geordie Shore and those were way too loud????

I am less likely to start watching something new if my ears are bleeding.

Hence, don't have your volume set too high until you get past the pre-show trailer as one or two of them now seem to be speaker bursting!!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m also team NO, on an offer at the mo and will cancel when this ends if they do not become skippable.
Customers should always have a choice, so If I can’t choose to skip promos I’ll choose the other service providers that do.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am annoyed by the pre-movie ad trailers as not only can I not skip them but they are NEVER for anything I'm interested in, and in fact, in the case of the Adam Sandler movies trailer last night, I actively wanted to scream at the TV. Instead, I hit every button on the remote in the vain hope I could make it go away. Tonight was an advert for children's TV. I don't HAVE children. If they had a way of making the trailers relevant to my situation or interests, I might not hate them so much  (and I wouldn't mind supplying those interests). If they provided a skip function, I'd accept them as annoying but avoidable. However, as it is, after I've finished watching the few movies I want to see, I'll be cancelling again. Life is too short to be irritated every time I hit PLAY. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Going back nearly two years ago it was mentioned that these adverts were supposed to be skippable, but nothing seems to have been done to make this happen yet. It may be only a minor inconvenience but I still refuse to watch them - I always back out and try watching again - most of the time the ad doesn't show the second time, but if it does I keep backing out or go and do something else instead. My own little protest, but if anyone else joins in you never know, NOW TV will be watching, apes together strong!

Lindzi
Elite 2

thanks @Andy

I am going to try this as they do irritate and are way too loud. A skip button would be a sensible compromise but as you say this has not be added. It's a shame, as now the Samsung app is pretty much unuseable (since the last time I checked) and that has no pre show trailers, I have gone to back to the black box and bam! trailers EVERY TIME.

I also detest Adam Sandler and so that particular trailer makes me really cringe Smiley Mad

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi Ah, welcome to the club! in theory NOW TV should be tracking ad watching and subsequent impact so they ought to be registering when people back out of ads instead of watching, and if everyone did it they would get the message. However most people will put up with them (and an odd few will like them) so the likelihood of it making a difference is small. But still, I always think if I'm moaning about not liking them I also have to be willing to do something about it!! 😄 

Anyway like you I've moved away from NOW TV and Roku devices to avoid the ads. I suppose the compromise would be to have ads that aren't flashing, loud and in your face but that's NOW TV's branding so not much chance of any change on that front either!!! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy wrote:

Going back nearly two years ago it was mentioned that these adverts were supposed to be skippable, but nothing seems to have been done to make this happen yet. It may be only a minor inconvenience but I still refuse to watch them - I always back out and try watching again - most of the time the ad doesn't show the second time, but if it does I keep backing out or go and do something else instead. My own little protest, but if anyone else joins in you never know, NOW TV will be watching, apes together strong!

Since you suggested it a few months back (thanks!) I've also been backing up the second the flashing lurid logo appears and restarting. I've found that it always works but it can take up to five re-starts - still quicker and infinitely more comfortable than sitting through the awful trailers!

Of course I always click on watch next episode even if I don't plan to watch it straightaway so at least I don't get assaulted by trailers once I have started a season of any programme.

It's just so strange that we have to jump through these stupid hoops on a paid-for service.

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Anonymous User

Thank you for the tip about watch next, even if not going to watch it straight away, as I wouldn't have thought of that Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im ######. Trying to watch episode 10 of season 2 westworld and went back 3 times and restarted only to have just sit and watch anyway!

its  a paid service, dont expect adverts!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Im ######. Trying to watch episode 10 of season 2 westworld and went back 3 times and restarted only to have just sit and watch anyway!

its  a paid service, dont expect adverts!!

Yes, so frustrating! I give it 5 tries, then on the very rare occasions it still doesn’t work I turn the sound off and go and grab a tea/beer and then rewind.

Hope you are using the ‘always click watch next’ tip so once you have started a season you never see another trailer.