cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-episode advert/trailer

Just noticed this today (never seen it before in 8 months of viewing) - after selecting an episode of something in the watchlist, a 15 second pre-episode NOW TV advert/trailer for some other TV show played first then it began playing the selected episode.

I quite liked having no adverts and trailers on NOW TV Entertainment!

Is this the future then for NOW TV Entertainment?

146 REPLIES 146
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Good for you, you must be very tolerant and thank you for your vote.

However many people here would raise an eyebrow about why anybody would feel the need for “putting up with” unskipable ads on a paid service.

However you might realise that this thread is made up mostly of people who do not like, and actively resent these unwelcome, unannounced and unilaterally imposed intrusions to what we were sold as an advertising-free environment.

Thank you for your kind words. I've never thought of myself as being 'tolerant' but I guess maybe I am. I suppose when I see the many issues people suffer from in daily life I see tv adverts as being a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of life.

I am also aware (which is why I said I'm probably in a minority of one) that many people find the adverts/trailers as an inconvenience and I respect their views (as I'm sure you do mine).

Isn't it great to live in a democracy where everyone can have their opinions respected whether we believe in them all or not Smiley Very Happy

Have a lovely day @Anonymous User

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

I'm also not a fan of the pre-show adverts, which I've hardly ever encountered up until the last couple of months. NOW TV claims they work and encourage people to watch more content so it's unlikely they will want to scale them back. However I now make a point of always clicking the back button on the remote when an ad appears and then try watching again. Sometimes it let's me back in without another ad, sometimes it starts showing another ad so I click back again. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes before you get to watch without an ad. Once I've given up on principle and watched something else instead.

All the ad-watching will be tracked at NOW TVs end. Me making my little protest isn't going to make the slightest difference to the ads appearing but I like to think that 1000s may join me and NOW TV will eventually notice that everyone is backing out of them or going to watch something else instead and change their mind. "Apes together strong" and all that. 

It wouldn't be so bad if the ads weren't all 'in your face' colourful flashing affairs, which aren't great for late night or serious content viewing, but that's NOW TV branding style.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andywrote:

I'm also not a fan of the pre-show adverts, which I've hardly ever encountered up until the last couple of months. NOW TV claims they work and encourage people to watch more content so it's unlikely they will want to scale them back. However I now make a point of always clicking the back button on the remote when an ad appears and then try watching again. Sometimes it let's me back in without another ad, sometimes it starts showing another ad so I click back again. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes before you get to watch without an ad. Once I've given up on principle and watched something else instead.

All the ad-watching will be tracked at NOW TVs end. Me making my little protest isn't going to make the slightest difference to the ads appearing but I like to think that 1000s may join me and NOW TV will eventually notice that everyone is backing out of them or going to watch something else instead and change their mind. "Apes together strong" and all that. 

It wouldn't be so bad if the ads weren't all 'in your face' colourful flashing affairs, which aren't great for late night or serious content viewing, but that's NOW TV branding style.

Great suggestion, thanks. I've also mentioned elsewhere that if you hit the 'Watch now' button (then watch, or stop for later) you can avoid them between episodes at least. Also I just leave new programmes running with the sound down while I make a brew and then back up later. Absolutely ridiculous but that's all we can do!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Thank you for your kind words. I've never thought of myself as being 'tolerant' but I guess maybe I am. I suppose when I see the many issues people suffer from in daily life I see tv adverts as being a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of life.

I am also aware (which is why I said I'm probably in a minority of one) that many people find the adverts/trailers as an inconvenience and I respect their views (as I'm sure you do mine).

Isn't it great to live in a democracy where everyone can have their opinions respected whether we believe in them all or not Smiley Very Happy

Have a lovely day @Anonymous User

Where does bringing down the woes of the world as an argument for putting up with anything imposed upon you end?

The commenters here have a gripe that they wish to air. Not sure what your objective is.

And a lovely day to you too.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No agenda here I can assure you. Just putting things into perspective. I respect everyones view here. I'd also prefer NO adverts but can accept a brief advert 'break' pre show as a slight compromise so long as they don't start showing them during the streams.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I've only recently been getting the trailers more frequently before shows.  I would like them to be skippable as I find them irritating and am less likely to continue with a so-so programme as a result.  (e.g. I was on the fence about continuing with Smilf past episode 1, but the pre-show ads have tipped me to not bothering to continue).

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I could handle them on shows I Watch.... but when I try to explore new content, i want to have a peek at a show to see if its interesting and being forced to sit through an advert before I can even peek at a showi may or may not watch, forced me to just not explore new content at all.

Which led me to just cancelling my membership.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NOW TV service has been pretty  iffy these last few weeks. Whether it be on the NOW TV black box, on Apple TV or an Xbox the picture is freezing, atrociously blurry or just wont go passed a certain time point in a show at random and far too frequent intervals. The prevideo adverts that Sky are determined to shove down our throats play in perfect quality even when the show itself won’t then load after it. All of this I’m sure is a massive coincidence with the upturn in Sky adverts in the last few weeks. When this happens I can go to Netflix or Amazon Video and the stream plays flawless 4K streams. It’s not my internet, turning it off and on doesn’t fix it. Along with other I’ll be out when my current offer is up.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just cancelled all my passes, due to being forced to watch trailers i have absolutely no interest in.

NowTv is a paid for, on demand service. I PAY to watch what i want, when i want .

Unless they stop this, or find a way to do this unobtrusively, then i won't be spending any more money with NowTv.

I will NEVER pay NowTv to force me to watch stuff i dont want to!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I e only just started to receive the completely intolerable pre show adverts. I’m not a child I have a mi d of my own and I will decide what I’d like to watch. I don’t need suggestions, please tell me this function can be removed. If not I’m going to have to cancel! If adverts cost you loss of revenue maybe you should reconsider this orcat a minimum offer a skip facility!