cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Haskins
Scholar

Re: Box sets - Trailers before program starts

I have used Now TV almost since day one and last night I have seen a trailer when watching on demand. 

I very much much doubt I will be continuing with the service if I am to be bombarded with these trailers, pity as up to now I have found the service first class and have just invested in one of the new "Smart" boxes.

May give Netflix or Amazon a try.

Andy

4268 Legend 5
Legend 5

@Haskins try them both, each has unique content. Obviously if you have Amazon you can couple it with free delivery as part of their prime package. The idea behind the promos is to highlight programs to folk. Unfortunately though it is annoying, it does prompt folk to watch.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

Haskins
Scholar

There should be a way of either option out or skipping these adverts. I never saw them until last night, is it because I have moved from the LG TV app to a Smart Box? 

Last night everything I tried to watch inflicted the same trailer on me, I gave up after six or seven attempts. Why not make it so you only get a trailer once?

casaschi
Scholar

Did nowtv just started adding advertisements before playing a show???

With the iPhone app, every time I start a new tv show episode I get a 30 second advertisement about something else available on nowtv.

Would please nowtv reconsider this and stop adding adverts?

I pay for the service, so I'd rather have no advertisements at all. In addition, the adverts are completely useless and redundant. There are several places in the nowtv website and in the nowtv app where I can lookup new shows, or popular shows or anything else nowtv wants to promote. I know where to find the info when I want it; when I click play on a new episode is definitely the moment when I do not want to see those ads.
It's pointless to have (after several seconds) a skip ads button: if you are really honest about it and want to show ads only to the users that want them, just make it a settings switch whether the user want to be served with ads at the begin in of a show.

Seriously, please get rid of those annoyances; and do not even think of extending the feature to commercial ads beyond nowtv promotions, that would be a deal breaker.

I hope you appreciate the feedback.
4268 Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Did nowtv just started adding advertisements before playing a show???

@Jason-C  I know you were collecting feed back on the promos before programs.

Personally I agree that with @casaschi  that it is annoying when you click play on something for more adverts to appear.  People choose catchup or demand rather than live to avoid adverts.  

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Did nowtv just started adding advertisements before playing a show???

If NowTV did a Customer Poll asking the question "Do you mind a short advert promoting other shows on the nowtv service at the start of watching either a catch up or boxset episode".

Then i don't think you need to be Mystic Meg to know which option would win by a landslide ?

cambs
Advocate

Re: Pre-episode advert/trailer

i have a now TV box and a roku3 and they are not skippable on either box, on the roku i have not watched anything without a advert before the show and only 1 or 2 without on the now tv box.

these are shows that have zero relevence to what i am trying to watch and have watched in the past.

at the moment unless this improved/made shorter/skipable from start i wont be renewing once my offers run out.

Highlighted
GraphiteGB
Champion

The only way to get rid of product placement adverts is to Put the subcription Price up which NowTV did before...

The more expensive a Show boxset in licensing rights the more likely Product placement adds will be included...

Believe BBC is trying out the same Product placement trailers tech on IPlayer as well...

Why am I seeing trailers on BBC iPlayer?

We’ve started showing trailers on BBC iPlayer to tell you about programmes you might like. Here’s how it works…

When you hit play on a programme on BBC iPlayer, a short trailer may start. If you like, you can skip the trailer at any time by hitting the “Skip” button.

but they include a skip button option...  ( other IPTV providers like youtube are removing the skip button... )

I Do not work for SkyUK or NowTV...

As I No longer live in the UK, I no longer run the NowTv boxes... So am an Ex Community Contributor user

SIEE Beta Tester since PS2. Rejected PSP and VITA day one...

Currently own and run these devices PS3, PS4, Chromecast, Sky+HD box, Quad OS boot HP Laptop, Amazon Fire tablet and TV box
ClockEnd
Expert 2

GraphiteGB wrote:

The only way to get rid of product placement adverts is to Put the subcription Price up which NowTV did before...

The more expensive a Show boxset in licensing rights the more likely Product placement adds will be included...

I can't imagine they will go now.  And I suspect in time they will be actual adverts.  And in time adverts will be interspersed within the programs.  And then everyone will think it is just like ITV Hub and start buying blu rays and DVDs so they can watch films in 90 minutes rather than 3 hours.   A reason people pay for on demand services like Now TV, Netflix and Amazon is to not have the advertising.  You Tube is free so you just accept the trailers and clutter.   Film 4 is free so you get adverts during the movie.  Sky Movies costs so you don't.   (though heaven know why Sky Sports think it is OK to fill the screeen with idents, scores, number, symbols and pop ups and charge £34/month)

Maybe in time it will be like Amazon that sells you a special offers kindle fire with ads for £10 less than the one without special offers.

PS  It would be good get rid of the mini ads for Sky Atlantic in the midst of programmes. 

Si-99
Scholar

Re: Pre-episode advert/trailer

@Jason-C wrote:

Hi @dr_necessitor

You will find on some content that we highlight other shows on the service we think might be interesting to you. This is usually a very short reel (eg. 15 seconds)

This will likely become more prevalent as time goes on, and ideally we'd like to show you something you find exciting! 🙂

Out of interest, how was your experience with it? Were you able to skip it okay if you weren't interested? Did your actual show play without issue?

Thanks,

Jason

'This will likely become more prevalent as time goes on'

Well if it does be prepared for mass account cancellations.

Who came up with this ridiculous idea, and who is responsible for its appalling implementation?

Many (most) people who sign up to services like Now TV do so to enjoy content free of interruptions/ads. The silly station idents in the middle of programmes are extremely irritating, and one suspects, part of a softening up for real ads one day. However at least they can be skipped if you are nimble with the remote.

The trailers that now prevent me directly accessing each episode are on a whole new level, and are a real risk of causing people to give up Now TV. They are unbelievably intrusive, typically extremely loud, and feature programs that are not remotely reflective of my viewing habits anyway.

The idea that as I go from being wrapped up in one involving episode of a drama to the next I have to endure a screaming booming trailer is just absolutely unacceptable on a paid platform.

And NO they cannot be skipped on my box.

Please get this stupid decision reversed as soon as possible - it will drive people away without doubt. I will certainly be gone.

'we'd like to show you something you find exciting!'

No, No, No, not when I'm trying to continue watching something I've already decided I like.

Please get this fixed - please!