cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Boost - Main Event picture terrible again

Similar to this post: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Content-Issues-Missing-Episodes/Picture-quality-for-the-Spurs-Chelsea...

Main Event has once again gone blocky with compression artifacts and noise in the picture. This is at 5:55 this evening during Norwich - Spurs. Could someone have a look? Last time this happened I had to spend over an hour on live chat trying to explain it's a problem your end and got nowhere, and I can't go through that again.

@Karl-F 

I'm using the official NowTV stick, plenty of bandwidth available. Can anyone from NowTV at least confirm the issue and that they're looking into it?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thought I would try the Live Chat - was just told that NowTV works on upload speed and I didn't have enough for boost, despite speedtest.net giving me 61 down and 15 up (I've replaced the agents name)...

Agent (28/12/2019, 18:31:55): If you have a boost pass you require at latest 12 mbps of speed.
Me (28/12/2019, 18:32:51): I have 61
Agent (28/12/2019, 18:33:28): I am not talking about download speed, NOW TV works on upload speed

Me (28/12/2019, 18:33:41): that's incorrect
Agent (28/12/2019, 18:34:32): I think you need to contact your ISP provider as I think they are not providing you the promised speed

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don’t expect a response from nowtv there terrible. Many people can’t even access the boost option for people with an Apple TV because they haven’t updated the app.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Bullsh#t!

My upload speed is 5Mbps tops, and my Boost Pass works fine , my 21Mbps download speed comfortably exceeding the 12Mbps download speed the Boost requires.

Why don’t you publish the agent’s name, or at least communicate it privately to a NowTV Admin, so NowTV can deploy some badly needed QC, and retraining, there?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have raised a formal complaint with NowTV which included the full chatlog. The upload speed is complete misinformation, I was just surprised that the live chat agents were so misinformed.

Man I miss the premier league being on Amazon - the 4K HDR coverage was beautiful compared to this service, which is 1080p/50hz - sometimes...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s been like this for several games on Main Event recently (also with the now tv streaming stick), and I’ve had to switch to the non-boost channel to watch the game, which is shocking when I’m paying for the “boost”.

It’s like that for me now with the Arsenal vs Chelsea game, unwatchable, even though the channel switched to that game from rangers vs Celtic, and that didn’t have the same compression blocking (picture in earlier game wasn’t very HD but it wasn’t a mess like this). I have a 200/12mb connection so it’s not streaming speed, it’s presumably a problem with their compression/transmission

Oddius
Scholar

Wow, 12Mb/s for 1080p streaming on NowTV shouldn't that be 5Mb/s perhaps a little more to allow for 5.1 audio 15Mb/s is the minimum for 4k streaming.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Oddius 

Netflix indicates that 25mb is recommended for 4K streaming. 
My guess is that 12mb for Now TVs 1080p will give you flawless picture.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Whereas Amazon only needs 15mb

https://www.zen.co.uk/blog/posts/zen-blog/2019/04/18/the-minimum-internet-speeds-for-streaming-video...

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Oddius 

My guess it depends on what compression and bit rate they are sending down the pipe for 1080p & 5.1 surround sound.

Also i wouldn't be surprised there is some headroom in the 12Mbps figure quoted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Typical response from so called Customer Service when you tell them there is a problem, blame somebody else. 

Well I have fibre direct to the home, and have great up and down speed, and Boost is still rubbish. Picture quality is very poor, lots of pixelation, nowhere near the 1080p quality of Netflix, Amazon or Apple. If you were cynical you could suggest its intentional to try and get you to buy Sky Q. 

I've cancelled Boost and will just put up with current quality for as long as I am getting a deal.