cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv box cuts off every 30 minutes

Can anyone help please?!  I've been using my Now tv box successfully for quite a while, maybe a year.  A couple of months ago, however, it's developed this very annoying habit of cutting out every 30 minutes and going back to the blue menu screen.  It does this with every tv channel.  It does not do this with any of the radio channels I listen to, which it will play happily for hours until I decide to switch off.  I have searched through the menus on the box and cannot find anything like a timer which I could switch off.  Might this have something to do with companies' reduced broadband speeds because of the lockdown?  Does anyone else have this problem?  The only way I can watch a programme/channel for more than 30 minutes is to remember to put the programme on pause for a few seconds before the 30 minutes is up, then start it up again.  It's driving me mad!  

22 REPLIES 22
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Because you mention radio stations i am assuming you are using a NowTV Freeview Smart box with the blue NowTV logo on the top of the box casing.

What i would be inclined to try first is to unplug all the cables from the box (including TV aerial, HDMI cable and power lead) then reconnect everything back together again (keep all cables separate from each other to avoid any cable interference).

Then go into the box menu settings and rescan the TV & Radio channels.

If you are referring to any channels or Apps via the internet, then maybe try steps 6 and step 4 in this order from the link below (but instead of selecting Automatic in step 4 try starting at something around 2 or 3Mbps).

Other than a full factory reset i don't know what else to suggest, apart from if you have another TV in the house with an incoming TV aerial, then has a temporary test check if the same symptoms persists as a matter of trial by elimination when using the nowtv box.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-tv-box-stick 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Schnapps.  The TV is not a smart tv, and the now tv box is black, not blue.  I have unplugged everything and put it all back, no joy.  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If that's the case try all the steps in the trouble shooting guide link that i posted on my first reply

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks.  I will try.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I am having the same issue with mine, did you find a way to fix it?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris McK

Unfortunately, the problem persists! 😕  It did seem to happen around the time that some broadband suppliers said they were making changes to the supply to be able to cope with the lockdown.  I can only think that that's what's causing it.  I had another look at the settings in the box yesterday but, after precisely 30 minutes, it closed the programme I was watching, and went back to the home screen.  I have unplugged everything, switched everything off and on again - no joy.  (Sigh!)

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User  @schnapps 

Hey B4 & Chris (Schnapps for info)

Guys, is it possible that you both have the same ISP?   If so, your problem could be caused by your ISP's use of bandwidth limiting (rationing) techniques.

ISPs tend to pull stunts like this without informing their customers, and to see if anybody notices, i.e. get away with it.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine does the same thing. Takes forever to watch a movie as it also jumps back 10 minutes. Black box probably had it 2yrs. I was just gonna buy a new one. 

Whats ISP? Not technical at all. Is that your provider? I’m with Virgin media on a medium pack 100m fibre 

@ukbobboy @schnapps @Anonymous User