cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayceyF
Scholar

'Next Episode' is nearly always the wrong one?

This has been happening to me for a for few months now?  I get the 'Next Episode' box coming up in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen - but it's rarely the right episode!  (And it's always one which I've already watched?)  This is what I've been getting:-

• Another episode in the same season
  • Another episode in a different season of the same show
  • A random episode from a completely different show

The best one yet was when I kept getting 'Season 1, Episode 10' - both in the correct show AND in two different shows!  (It got so hung up 'S1, E10' - I just couldn't believe it?! 🤷🏻‍♀️  When you're watching S3 of The Equalizer and an old Succession episode pops up - because you accepted it without paying attention - it's rather disconcerting!)

Fortunately, that last weirdness seemed to go away after a reboot - but that's not helping the main issue?  The boring thing about it is that if you do what I did above - accepting the wrong episode without realising it - you've then got to fast forward all the way through it until you get to the end, just to get it out of your 'Continue Watching' list (and sometimes that doesn't work - you have to go the end of the season!).  This is really annoying.

Latest example - I've just watched the Season 6 finale (E10) of SEAL Team, so I was rather astonished to see a 'Next Episode' window pop up! 🤔  When I looked, it was E8 - two episodes back (which I watched yesterday, along with E9)?  Why on earth would that happen?  (The problem isn't always as recent as that - I often get S1 episodes coming up months after i've watched them!)

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this frustrating issue, and if so, did you manage to fix it (or was it fixed for you?)?  Every day, I cross my fingers and hope it won't happen today - but it always does! 😏

9 REPLIES 9
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JayceyF 

What device are you using?

Are you able to delete and reinstall the app?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
JayceyF
Scholar

A NOW stick plugged into my TV - and I don't really want to go down that route!  (I wouldn't know where to start anyway - not with a stick?)

RoyB
Legend

@JayceyF 

Not just on Now, but on any streaming service I use that has episodes, I always let the autocontinue run into the first few seconds of the next episode, when I want to stop watching for the time being.

Since adopting this approach, I have not experienced any more of the nonsense you describe,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
JayceyF
Scholar

Wow - I didn't know you could do this with NOW?  How/where can I set this up?

RoyB
Legend

@JayceyF wrote:

Wow - I didn't know you could do this with NOW?  How/where can I set this up?

@JayceyF 

You couldn’t autocontinue until recently. Now you can’t stop it autocontinuing, at least not on the Now app on my LG GX TV.

Maybe though, it’s not implemented on your device yet? But try it, and let us know if it works for you, and if not, what device it is not (yet?) autocontinuing on,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JayceyF 

To follow-up from @RoyB to state the obvious auto-play of episodes will only work when there are more episodes within the particular show. 

JayceyF
Scholar

I have an oldish stick - so I need to look into this, thanks!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JayceyF 

Deleting and reinstalling the app isn’t a hardship as it’s not like you’re doing a factory reset to the stick. However as your using a NOW branded stick you’ll be unable to delete and reinstall the app as it’s built in on the stick itself.

Make sure your stick is fully updated.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/app-not-working-on-now-box-stick

Also unplugging your stick and router for a few minutes will ensure a full power reboot of both bits of equipment.

JayceyF
Scholar

I didn't even know you could update a stick? 😮  Thanks - I will read your link.