cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

IPL Cricket from Dubai

Hi all.

I signed up to Sky Sports via the NOW app mainly to watch the continuation of the IPL cricket from Dubai. Today, 19th Sept at 15:30 was the advertised start time on the "Main Event" channel.

Sadly, at 15:30 there was no IPL cricket to be found on any channel. And then suddenly the woman's ODI cricket on the "Cricket" channel was rained off and the IPL cricket appeared, sadly almost at the end of the first innings. And the women's ODI is scheduled to start again in a few minutes time.

Why are you broadcasting the same football match on two channels (Renault Super Sunday), and not showing the IPL which has been advertised for months as Live Coverage on Sky? Apart from this being annoying and disappointing beyond words, it's also false advertising.

The woman's ODI has just started again, the IPL has gone, and the same football match is still being shown on two adjacent channels.

What on earth is going on here? With a £5 HD boost I'm paying £38 per month to be denied what I signed up to watch.

And finally, is this going to be the story for the remainder of the IPL cricket coverage? I'd appreciate an honest answer so that I can cancel or continue this expensive subscription.

By the way, I did the "contact us" procedure on the website to be told when submitting my complaint that "Whoops, something went wrong". This happens every time the submit button is pressed. A monumental waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have a read of this linked thread below discussing the same subject.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Off-Topic-Chat/IPL-cricket/td-p/541691/page/2 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have a read of this linked thread below discussing the same subject.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Off-Topic-Chat/IPL-cricket/td-p/541691/page/2 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much for that link. I now now have it on a bonus channel.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way with the NOW App to know that the coverage is on a "well hidden if you don't know about it" bonus channel and not on the advertised "Main Event" channel.

Ridiculous that this world event is shoved to a non advertised bonus channel while the same football match is being shown on two of the main advertised channels.

And sadly, the coverage on this bonus channel is jerky. It appears to be dropping frames. Unpleasant to watch.

However, thanks for your prompt help. It is appreciated.

🙂

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User use the page in this link to know what channel is showing the cricket

https://www.skysports.com/watch/cricket-on-sky

If it says "cricket channel - red button" then you'll find it on the Now bonus streams.

It's jerky because it's only 25fps where as the main channels are 50fps with the boost membership.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

All the time i have been using NOW, both Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League shows the PL football matches simultaneous on both channels (unless there is some other massive sporting event on Sky Sports Main Event which is not that often).

Maybe because Football is the biggest money maker for Sky or to help the strain on the NOW server's (i have no idea).

The problem with Bonus Streams is that the stream is 25fps (even with the extra Boost Membership) so the picture is not sliky smooth.

To improve the jerky or stuttering picture you could try one of the motion picture settings on your television and if your streaming device has options under its picture settings for 50hz or 60hz playback, set it to 50hz when watching NOW. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your prompt helpful replies guys. The 25fps makes sense and I've actually turned if off. I find it unwatchable.

Regarding the red button advice. Appreciated, but there is no red button option with the NOW App on both my smart TV and bedroom tv firestick. And there isn't any way to know that a bonus channel is probably the red button's equivalent in the app. What a shambolic setup for probably the highest costing subscription service there is.

Thank you all for your replies, and that new time-line program guide. It shows the IPL to be on the Main Event channel tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

You're all stars by the way. 👍😊 

Dennis.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The red button Sky Sports service is called Bonus Sports Streams on NOW, hence you won't find the red button sports on any of your NOW playback devices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that.

For anyone who isn't aware of it, there's another decent guide here for all sports ...

https://www.wheresthematch.com/sky-sports-tv-guide/

Example :-

Cricket timeline

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

For the “red button” it’s called bonus streams and located on the home page as described by @schnapps 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-features

When a Bonus Stream is available, you'll find the option at the bottom of your NOW app homepage. Don't worry if you can't see any Bonus Streams right now – they'll appear automatically by the time the event starts.

You can't watch Bonus Streams with a Sports Day or Mobile Membership. NOW Boost features, including full HD and 50 frames per second, aren't available on Bonus Streams.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help