cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Game of Thrones season 1,2,3,4,5 has gone

Why has Games of Thrones season 1,2,3,4,5 gone from nowtv?
I'm no longer able to view it!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Why has Games of Thrones season 1,2,3,4,5 gone from nowtv?
I'm no longer able to view it!

Hi @Anonymous User 

game of thrones has gone due to content rights. NowTV are only allowed to have content available for a certain amount of time, after which they must remove the content. Due to the agreements they have with content rights holders in the case of game of thrones, the rights holders are HBO. HBO content is also some of the most expensive content around, especially game of thrones, so even if NowTV could keep it. The cost of keeping it would probably become prohibitive after a certain point, which means it could only be kept at the expense of losing other content.

The slightly better news is the game of thrones box sets will probably be back in February/March next year just before season seven starts

It has been known for a long time that the expiry date of the game of thrones box sets was June 13 most devices show the expiry date of content and if content is going to expire within the next 30 days. You will see an expiry countdown on all devices and also the now TV website. I myself warned people over three weeks ago that the box sets where going to expire

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/GAME-OF-THRONES-EXPIRY-WARNING/m-p/374479/highlight/true#M20550

also see @schnapps's post below 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

View solution in original post

154 REPLIES 154
RoyB
Legend

Interactive were they, these giant posters and bus adverts? if not, you can see the difficulty....

But cheer yourself up, if that is the right expression, with Chernobyl, highest rated series on IMDB ever, screening now with the denouement on Monday am, or Tuesday if you can wait....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No the point is that earlier on in this thread some one had explained that a countdown clock was beside every episode but if you don't have Now TV then thats of no use to you until you sign up specifically for GOT which was being advertised and see the countdown clock. 8 Hours left

Thanks for tip though

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User ,

As a lot of people in this thread have already mentioned, programs do leave the service due to us only having the rights to show them for certain periods, with all shows and particularly Game of Thrones we do make every effort to ensure we can show them for as long as possible. 

I think you raise a valid point around not seeing the count-down before you join, I can certainly raise this point internally.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why have you removed GOThrones after 1 month when we have a pass for 2 months?!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Game of Thrones was scheduled from 1st March to 31st May, and has expired accordingly.

If you think about it, it would be rather impractical to link its availability to any given user Pass, as that would involve a full individual NowTV for each person; a bit more than just the account-based tally of where you in in what series.

So your Pass is just a ticket to the goodies on display, for as long as they are on display; and they come and go on a schedule determined by NowTV universally, applying to everybody with a pass or passes, no matter how long, or how short, they have left to run Smiley Sad

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Game of Thrones is a Sky Atlantic program, Sky own Now TV. Therefore there is no sensible reason why these programs are not available all the time as box sets. The only possible reason is to try and make money by getting you to buy the box set. Absolutely apalling behaviour.

RoyB
Legend

Game of Thrones is an HBO (Home Box Office) programme, as you should be able to see from the opening and closing credits on every episode you ever watched.

As such, it is every bit as much licensed to Sky, to show on its Sky Atlantic channel, as it is licensed to NowTV, and Sky/NowTV must negotiate with HBO for the cost and duration of both the live programmes and the catchup Box Sets.

In this case, GoT Seasons 1-7 were relicensed from 1st March, to tie in with the live Season 8, for 90 days, ending 31st May, on NowTV, who published this information at the outset, and throughout.

But it does look like a lot of people, attracted by the adverts for GoT and with no way of knowing the expiry date, have joined up too late to watch it all Smiley Sad

This is something NowTV have taken on board, and we can hope that things like expiry dates are better published outside of NowTV, as well as inside, for the future.

As regards the box set, this likewise accrues revenue for HBO. Only if you get it from the Sky Store, and not from any of the other seven streaming sources, nor do you buy physical discs, does Sky get a cut; and even then, only a slice.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm equally peeved. Same happened to the wife half way through season 3. This is sky greed, pay as little as possible to provide the most basic of service
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am so ###### off at this!

I am on season 4 and have nothing to watch it on now!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A new customer and first time poster - I'm afraid I have to side with some of the comments here... I signed up to watch Game of thrones (as is heavily advertised by Now TV). I was hestitant as it was not clear what content would be available (seasons 6 & 7 have dates against them), but seasons 1 - 5 are still shown on the website without explanation that they are not actually available and you won't be able to watch them. I do believe they are misleading people into signing up which is very poor. I have little choice but to cancel the subscription I only signed up to yesterday.