cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karenski
Scholar

Entertainment and cinema nowtv deals are worthless on youvire

Although my current deals with nowtv don't have much longer to run, it's outrageous that I'm being offered deals by talktalk/,'youview'.  The  programme I did manage to view was about 6 seasons old. This set up is difficult to navigate and when asked I'm told to speak with nowtv. What can be done, I'm missing episodes of shows I love,!?@favouriteshows

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Karenski 

Why don't you try cancelling your NOW TV Memberships when in the last 30 days (i always leave it to about a week left) to see if NOW give me any discount retention offer deals if you are looking for any better deals.

What do you find difficult to navigate or is the navigation just slow using the NOW App on your Youview box ?

Have you tried another playback device to see if the NOW App navigation improves ?

The Amazon 4K Fire Stick is really snappy when it comes to navigating around the NOW App.

Also what TV shows are you finding not up to date or missing a few seasons, where it might be licensing streaming rights between NOW / Sky and the studio rights holder.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Karenski 

Why don't you try cancelling your NOW TV Memberships when in the last 30 days (i always leave it to about a week left) to see if NOW give me any discount retention offer deals if you are looking for any better deals.

What do you find difficult to navigate or is the navigation just slow using the NOW App on your Youview box ?

Have you tried another playback device to see if the NOW App navigation improves ?

The Amazon 4K Fire Stick is really snappy when it comes to navigating around the NOW App.

Also what TV shows are you finding not up to date or missing a few seasons, where it might be licensing streaming rights between NOW / Sky and the studio rights holder.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Karenski 

Or do you find the NOW App experience frustrating or difficult to search and find the Entertainment TV shows you are after (assuming these TV shows are actually on the NOW Entertainment service).

Karenski
Scholar

theyre not worthless when you are skint, agoraphobic and they are so cheap and show a couple of my fave progs,like blacklist which ive been watching for 9 yes 9 seasons. i want to watch it to the end!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Karenski 

Looking on my tablet NOW have Season 6 to 8 on boxsets, where season 9 is on weekly catchup with a new episode added each week (S9 Ep4 available on Wednesday).

With regards to the Blacklist NOW / Sky in the UK don't get the same season start date like viewers over in America.

RoyB
Legend

@Karenski 

I’m not sure what you are saying here?

The content of the Now memberships is exactly the same whether you get them with a TalkTalk deal, a BT deal, or a deal direct from Now.

And your YouView box is a pretty capable place to watch Now, except that it doesn’t support subtitles - which is admittedly a deal breaker for some people, including me.

But you can watch Now on any other compatible device you have, or may acquire.

The cost of Now memberships is different on TalkTalk and BT TV - you are cut off from all Now special offers and retention deals.

So is your beef with the YouView box, the TalkTalk pricing, the fact that the UK lags the US a bit in terms of when shows are available, or that shows and seasons come and go on Now?

The first two are relatively easy to fix, the third and fourth rather less so; but the first two have no bearing on the other items.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Karenski
Scholar
The box is slow slow slow, it takes forever to react, I can't make sense of
the information running alongside the box one has to scan on the nowtv
page. Then into pricing that's double the nowtv subscriptions I had with
them direct. That is not an easy fix for me who cannot afford to give a
home to a homeless cat or dog these days. I can barely feed myself. I don't
mind change for the sake of it but mt remote control doesn't seem to match
my box. It may e a rumour but I heard tell of a prime box or some such.
Half my remote buttons don't work...or maybe I'm not giving them enough
time to react. After all, it's only 2022 and perhaps the manufacturers need
time to figure out the lag and I'm only the complaining customer who is
wrong to be living in such an advanced technical age.
I can't remember ehat else you wrote but this box such, it's screwing
certain longterm nowtv customers out of the best deals they've had and I
stil have yo watch ads my greatest annoyance because fasrfirward foes not
work on my remote. Which didn't come with the box BTW, I had to wait an
extra 3 weeks for its arrival. Maybe that's the answer, I have
incompatible devices. Oh thankyou for allowing my rant to have that come
up, clever boy.
RoyB
Legend

@Karenski 

Oh I see, you just want to have a rant, instead of carefully teasing out the things you can do something about and the things you can’t, and the things you have brought upon yourself and the things that have been visited upon you.

Fair enough.

But if you would like some actual help, please specify what make and model of YouView box you have, and post a picture of the remote, so I can identify it.

In general, any YouView remote will work any YouView box, but some YouView remotes are better than others, in terms of available functions and ergonomics,

Remotes can be reset, and YouView boxes can have Maintenance Mode resets that do more than power cycling, and yet still stop short of deleting your recordings, if any.

Other small points:-

Amazon made a couple of attempts at a PVR in the US, most recently the Fire TV Recast. Both went absolutely nowhere in the US, let alone ever appearing in a UK version.

PVRs are becoming more and more niche, but besides YouView, you could look at the Manhattan T3-R or the Humax Aura.

If you had chosen Reply from my post, you would have had it onscreen as the Replying To when you wrote your rant, and not had to try to remember the points I made.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Karenski
Scholar

@Anonymous User

my rant worked, im calmer, can think straight and have got most things to work. those that dont i dont care enough about. sorry for taking up space and time which could have gone to help others.

regards

k

Karenski
Scholar

@Anonymous User 

sorry for taking up time ranting away like that. its all ok now tho. i switched the machine off completely for a few days and when i came back to it today buttons worked and i might even have had a smile on my coupon. just for a second. my remote actually does stuff its supposed to and im as happy as im ever gonna be. except i cant get past the qr scan/nowtv page no matter what i do. i dont really need to get past it because every channel want a subscription which means the keyboard and passwords and signing in blah blah.

thank you for your patience.

ive no idea what PVRs Manhattan 'T3-R or Humax Auras are im afraid. zoomed right over my head but they all sound so American, dont they?

anyhoo, thanks again. oh, and ive no idea what Line 3. Overhead, without any fuss...... is all about either, other than it sound like a quote you got from Reddington . maybe.

k

k