cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Big Little Lies S2?

I had 2 episodes left to watch of BLL season 2 and it's just vanished. Does anyone know why?? So frustrating. 

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It also said there was 8 days of remaing time in which it would still be available on NOW TV. So something's not right! Why take series 2 down and leave 1 up either? Stupidly mangaged website.  

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User and others

I can’t answer for it coming down 8 days early; if it has, then NowTV should put it back until the date they promised.

But as regards taking down Season 2, but leaving Season 1 up, this will often happen.

Its all down to economics, rights issues, and such factors.

When a thing like a Season of BLL, which isn’t made by Sky, appears, there’s a thing called First Run Rights, which means Sky and its subsidiary NowTV have exclusivity in a certain geographical area, it’s expensive, and they get to show the programs live and then offer them on catchup for just 30 days.

After which other streaming services get a go, at a slightly lower price.

And once all the juice is pretty much squeezed out, it becomes much much cheaper for Sky to obtain the Season on the Box Set basis, where it’s here for a long time.

And this is the basis Season 1 is on.

Season 2, once it’s done the rounds, is likewise probably going to come back on the Box Set basis.

And when you think about it, just having Season 1 to watch here is only how it was for all of us who watched Season 1 at the time, before there even was a Season 2. Every day, people who never watched it first time round but who discover that they should have, can bingewatch that first season, ready for when Season 2 pops up.

Even Box Sets come and go, though, so nothing is guaranteed; even GoT came and went.

But by the nature of things, expect both earlier seasons of BLL to be around when Season 3 hoves into view.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just spent ages on live Chat asking this same question! Usual pain trying to get anywhere as they ask you useless questions! Eventually was told I would get an email!!! 

Very annoying!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been told it's been removed for 'Rights and Restrictions' reasons. It may be re-added in the future but that's not guaranteed.

Pretty annoying as I'd only got as far as Ep.3

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just finished season 1 and went to watch season 2 and vanished!! This is unacceptable!! What the hell are they playing at I'll be moving to Amazon Prime as soon as my free trial ends!! I am hellish 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Read The Fine Thread above for an explanation of why Season 2 has vanished,

It’s nothing to do with you only being on a free trial; though I do think jumping up and down about what’s there and what isn’t should be reserved for paying customers 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB I don't care about all that garbage you posted in an earlier message about TV rights. Just wanna watch an on-demand platform and  not have to worry about content disappearing!! This don't happen on Netflix so why is it acceptable for it to happen on here!! 

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

What you say about Netflix simply isn’t true - you only have to Google for ‘content leaving Netflix UK’ to get a raft of hits such as, specifically, this one:-

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leaving-soon/titles-leaving-netflix-uk-in-august-2019/

And what you call ‘garbage’ is true; it is how the business model operates, best as I can explain it.

You might not like it, but unless you want to make a correction on the matter of facts, that’s how it is.

It’s one of the reasons why big operators in this field - Netflix, Amazon, and to a lesser extent, Sky - are starting to create content for themselves, to bypass this revolving door.

And this is something I know a little about. I’ve worked for a couple of the big studios, and way back when Content was king and there was a Blockbuster on every corner, seemingly, to handle Distribution into the domestic consumer market, one of those studios sent me out to the US to work on what the revenue model should be with a couple of fledgling streaming startups, where there was no physical product to licence. One sank without trace, but the other.......

Distribution getting bigger than Content, who would have thought it?