cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bad Age ratings on nearly all shows, even PG showing as 18+

I have found that nearly all the shows on now tv have ridiculous age ratings. Shows like The Flash, Muppet show, Modern family having very wrong ratings.;

Modern family mostly has a rating of 18 years old, like it is full of sex, graphic gore e.t.c And the list goes on.

Now some of you may ask, but don't you want to protect your kids. When you put a 12, 15, 18 above above to be blocked and you leave the kids alone and think, they will have something to watch, and then they keep coming to you because the muppet has an 18 rating e.t.c it is beyond annoying.

And if I switch off the parental controls because I am tired of having to enter the pin, real over 18 shows that I don't want the kids to watch that contain sex and violence, they then can view it if they choose too without knowing the difference because of the messed up ratings. So I can't even do that.

Can the staff at NOWTV please re rate all the programmes to the reccomended U.K Age rating.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

15 REPLIES 15
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User,

No, you're not the only one. See the following topics: -

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/Age-rating-errors/m-p/372582

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/The-Flash-age-rating/m-p/377093

Cheers

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Maxie_london wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User,

No, you're not the only one. See the following topics: -

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/Age-rating-errors/m-p/372582

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/The-Flash-age-rating/m-p/377093

Cheers

Hi @Anonymous User

Yep, this is an issue that is old as the entertainment pass itself Smiley Sad I think I might have commented in the topic about the Flash age ratings actually.

The trouble is that TV content in the UK isn't properly age rated by the relevant body until it gets released on DVD and Blu-ray, which means NowTV have to make a decision themselves as to what the appropriate age certificates should be and they would rather overprotect than under protect. On movie content. However, you'll find that the age ratings are correct. As the movies are released on home video before they become available on NowTV. Movies are also officially rated before they go to the cinema

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This isnt a gripe at Now TV particularly, they can only show what's being produced, but why is EVERYTHING 18+?

My 15 year old son is craving more grown up content, but there's litterally NO box sets that we can allow him to watch, even though I'm sure they'd probably get a 15 certificate for a comparable cinema release. Why is Chicago Fire 18+, for example? There's no sex, only mild violence, no swearing, and only mild injury gore. Has anybody at Now TV actually watched it? Or do they slap an 18 certificate on everything to make it appeal to a more mature audience since GoT and Banshee pushed the boundaries?

Seriously, there's no 15s except 24 Live another day, which was pants.

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Anonymous User

It seems that you are not the only one to notice this issue

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/Bad-Age-ratings-on-nearly-all-shows-even-PG-showing-as-18/m-p/418667#M27235

Maybe everything is set to 18 automatically, so in effect nothing is truly rated at all?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Yep the ratings make no sense. Especially when a 15 year old is able to see a film like Deadpool 😉

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User,

Yep the ratings make no sense. Especially when a 15 year old is able to see a film like Deadpool 😉

Hi @SeeMoreDigital @Anonymous User

In my personal opinion Deadpool is rather close to being a certificate 18. I think they only just got away with the 15 certificate by the skin of their teeth.

I must admit, it does make me laugh when I see episodes of the Flash marked with certificate 18. It is rather silly really, but sky can't use the official age certificates for a lot of the TV stuff because the official age certificates for TV stuff often don't exist until said content comes out on home video disc for age rating can be a bit awkward to determine.

Because of the watershed rule official age certificates aren't needed immediately for TV content. If broadcasters think anything is unsuitable for younger audiences. They just put it on after the watershed, which is of course after 9 PM. But for the OnDemand content. NowTV have to make sure that the parental controls will always trigger on anything that might be inappropriate, so there overprotect to be on safe side.

I do agree though that a lot of the age certificates on the on demand entertainment content are utterly daft.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If you’re interested you can read NOW TV’s response to the issue here (although it's over a year old now)

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/Age-rating-errors/m-p/372582/highlight/true#M20172

Agree though it needs improving as things don’t seem to have changed over the last year. It seems ironic that if parents set up parental controls responsibly, then their 13 year old won’t be able to watch Modern Family on the NOW TV app on the NOW TV Box (all seasons released on home video as 12) but they can open up the Sky Store app on the box and watch Modern Family boxsets purchased there (all classified as 12).

I can imagine some parents will be annoyed at having to enter the PIN every time their child wants to watch something age-appropriate but wrongly classified , or just get fed up and disable the parental control thus allowing children to access inappropriate content. Neither scenario I’m sure NOW TV want to see.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. I was wondering if the parental controls apply to the watch live TV settings. My 15 year old has a box in his room and i am worried he is accessing the likes of Geordie shore via the watch live tv section. Altrnatively is there a way of disabling the watch live tv section.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi. I was wondering if the parental controls apply to the watch live TV settings. My 15 year old has a box in his room and i am worried he is accessing the likes of Geordie shore via the watch live tv section. Altrnatively is there a way of disabling the watch live tv section.

Hi @Anonymous User

As far as I'm aware. NowTV's parental controls don't currently apply to the live channels. @Tony-D will correct me if I'm wrong. Unfortunately, there is currently no way of disabling the live TV section