cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Are Sky One Offering Selective PL Live Matches ?

Noticed that Sky One showed the West Ham v Chelsea match live last Saturday which was also shown on the NowTV live Sky One channel stream.

Looking ahead this week on the Sky TV Guide planner that there is another Live PL game between Leicester City v Crystal Place which is going to be shown live on Sky One this Saturday at 11.30am.

So i am wondering if Sky are going to make this a regular occurrence for selective Premier League matches during the course of the Football season ?

Personally i am not that interested in Football, but it might be welcomed by people who enjoy Football who have an entertainment pass and fancy watching the occasional match now and again.

88 REPLIES 88
starman73
Elite

Pay TV Rights holders possibly being asked to make all games free to watch if fans are banned from stadiums....maybe the freebie to end all freebies??????

I should have known not to apply a three month now TV sports pass in February...

Also I pay Virgin for BT Sport. Don’t suppose they would refund me, would they?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

According to the online Radio Times TV Guide, the Norwich City v Southampton game on Friday the 19th of June 2020 is also scheduled to be available live on Sky One together with Pick.

If this is the case i doubt every free match will be available on Sky One simulcast with Pick, because i would have thought a lot of the free matches on Pick would clash with the planned Sky One TV shows that are scheduled each week and would upset a lot of NowTV Entertainment pass customers that are not interested in PL football.

My guess if the information in the Radio Times is accurate then this game may be a one off or perhaps where there is no clash with the Sky One regular TV show slots then Sky One may or may not show more free games live in conjunction with Pick.

Obviously watching on Sky One is not free, where you need a NowTV Entertainment pass, but might be useful if you can't watch Pick on Freeview, FreeSat or Virgin and you already subscribe to a NowTV Entertainment Pass.

starman73
Elite

Games on Sky One will be in HD (via boost, satellite or cable) whereas those on Pick won’t be.  I suspect most if not all Pick games will be on Sky One. All the times for the Pick games this weekend are showing as “To Be Announced” on my Virgin Box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

For me when watching any of the Football matches on Sky One (when offered by Sky One on NowTV) even with my Boost Pass the games are still 25fps and not a great viewing experience for me, though Sky One at 720p (non Boost) is still better than Pick at Standard Definition with a low bit rate.

A NowTV Sports Pass with Boost is the way to go if you want the best picture streaming quality on NowTV in my opinion if you can afford it.

starman73
Elite

Sky One comes as part of my cable package, so not an issue for me.  Only had entertainment pass for Sky Atlantic which runs out today.   If nothing else, Sky One is an option for those without Pick access.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps Your guess is incorrect. All games shown on Pick will also be shown on Sky One, so NOW TV customers with an Entertainment Pass will be able to watch all of these games for free.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Guessing can be dangerous game sometimes, but give me some credit i was the first to post on the forum about the first match was going to be aired on Sky One with a simulcast on Pick 😀.

Where that post of mine was dated on the 8th of June and more details have emerged since then, which i have also contributed on other threads.

Obviously forgot to update this thread with more correct updated new information since the 8th (my bad 😡).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Not relating to Sky One, but the BBC have a premier league match on now between West Bromwich Albion v Fulham if anybody is intrested.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Looks like Sky One are showing the first PL game of the season.

Might be of interest to somebody who has an Entertainment Membership only and don't have a Sports Membership.

Screenshot_2021-08-13-15-21-12.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@starman73

I was reading online recently that the BT Showcase HD channel on freeview was going to end, apparently it's been a few weeks since they showed any live European Football action and it had basically turned in to nothing more than a 100% advert (apparently they stopped showing those results screens as well)........ and I'm guessing it's closed now completely.

After all those years of Sky/ITV and BT Sport giving some european football free-to-air...... apparently the latest TV deal that BT won for european football no longer had a clause stating they must show any of it free-to-air, hence at the earliest opportunity it has been dropped.

As I posted on the previous page earlier today it has closed down completely today (May 1st) as announced a few weeks ago.

Any live sports coverage BT will be offering free in future (including Champions League) will be via their sports app or their website and quite possibly their Youtube channel.