cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Are Sky One Offering Selective PL Live Matches ?

Noticed that Sky One showed the West Ham v Chelsea match live last Saturday which was also shown on the NowTV live Sky One channel stream.

Looking ahead this week on the Sky TV Guide planner that there is another Live PL game between Leicester City v Crystal Place which is going to be shown live on Sky One this Saturday at 11.30am.

So i am wondering if Sky are going to make this a regular occurrence for selective Premier League matches during the course of the Football season ?

Personally i am not that interested in Football, but it might be welcomed by people who enjoy Football who have an entertainment pass and fancy watching the occasional match now and again.

88 REPLIES 88
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @starman73

Like you said it could be possibly the Champions Cup Rugby final, where last years final was shown on Sky One and if my memory serves me right it was also on the BT Freeview channel.

I hope so, because i ditched BT Broadband last month and hoping to watch the final on either the BT Freeview HD Showcase channel (my first preferred option) or Sky One on my NowTV entertainment pass (my second option).

Otherwise i might have to bite the bullet and buy a nowtv day sports pass for the Rugby match.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It won't be through BT Showcase as it closes for good today. BT are now using their sports app and their website to show 'free' content.

starman73
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

It won't be through BT Showcase as it closes for good today. 

So no Europa League or Champions League final on Freeview!  Outrageous.  I hate the lack of access to BT Sport.  I would ditch Virgin Media cable in a heartbeat if I could get BT Sport without having to have BT broadband.   Just another 9 months or so until it hopefully joins Now TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@starman73

I was reading online recently that the BT Showcase HD channel on freeview was going to end, apparently it's been a few weeks since they showed any live European Football action and it had basically turned in to nothing more than a 100% advert (apparently they stopped showing those results screens as well)........ and I'm guessing it's closed now completely.

After all those years of Sky/ITV and BT Sport giving some european football free-to-air...... apparently the latest TV deal that BT won for european football no longer had a clause stating they must show any of it free-to-air, hence at the earliest opportunity it has been dropped.

starman73
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

After all those years of Sky/ITV and BT Sport giving some european football free-to-air...... 

http://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-to-show-free-to-air-uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-matches-S11364002870161

I see they are "giving away" UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League matches for free on BTSport.com and the BT Sport app.

NIce of them to give it away to watch on my mobile.  I am so grateful.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@starman73 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

After all those years of Sky/ITV and BT Sport giving some european football free-to-air...... 

http://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-to-show-free-to-air-uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-matches-S11364002870161

I see they are "giving away" UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League matches for free on BTSport.com and the BT Sport app.

NIce of them to give it away to watch on my mobile.  I am so grateful.

The blame lies with UEFA who didn't make any provision for FTA games. It says something for BT that they at least are 'volunteering' to make some coverage FTA, albeit not on an actual tv channel. Their highlights shows etc from next season will be available free via their Youtube channel, so no problem getting it on a Roku/NowTV box or stick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just an update guys.

It would appear Showcase is still on air so maybe the possibility is still there for the European finals to be available fta, at least for those who can receive that particular hd channel.

starman73
Elite

Sky One Schedules according to Tivo

Sat 12 May 1400-1800 Golf's Funniest Moments   - Golf ain't that funny that it would take 4 hours, so suspect something like European Rugby Final will be on, though it will end at 7pm

Sun 13 May 1400-1630 To Be Announced  -   Which if extended to 5pm by removing the Simpsons would cover a final day game in the Premier League

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@starman73 wrote:

Sky One Schedules according to Tivo

Sat 12 May 1400-1800 Golf's Funniest Moments   - Golf ain't that funny that it would take 4 hours, so suspect something like European Rugby Final will be on, though it will end at 7pm

Sun 13 May 1400-1630 To Be Announced  -   Which if extended to 5pm by removing the Simpsons would cover a final day game in the Premier League

Digiguide has Golf's Funniest Moments from 13.30-14.30

Futurama 14.30

Modern Family 15.00-17.30

Simpsons 17.30-19.30

I'd imagine that will change for the rugby.

For Sunday DG has Sky One showing Gillette Soccer Special 14.00-17.00

That could stay if Sky decide not to show a game on One.

starman73
Elite

Not Football, but Munster v Edinburgh is on BBC iPlayer tomorrow at 3.15pm, so saves using a Now Sports Pass though as it is BBC ALBA the commentary will be in Gaelic.

• Munster 15:15 Edinburgh Guinness PRO14 - Quarter Final