cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any NowTV boost users stopped getting 5.1 on PS4?

I had no issues till I noticed yesterday my AV receiver was saying the source was 2.0 instead of 5.1

I have boost, surround source selected in settings.

PS4 outputting 5.1 for games and Netflix but no longer for NowTV Movies, not sure why this is happening. (These a 5.1 movies)

I've reinstalled the app, and checked the settings etc. It just seems to have stopped working.

26 REPLIES 26
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you gone into the NowTV App under My Account on the PS4 and changed the HD Boost Audio settings to force 5.1 surround sound ?

More information here.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem and it also doesn’t work with my chromecast so I’ll be getting rid of the boost too unless there’s a fix coming, can admin just say that they are even looking into it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tweeted them to see why they hadn’t replied and they recommended logging the issue here if the settings change didn’t work (which we know it doesn’t). 

Have you checked the audio settings along with our help page here? https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings

If so and no luck, please log your query on this link and our team will investigate. https://help.nowtv.com/web-to-case/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay, I have had a response:

"

Thanks for contacting NOW TV and letting us know about your concern.

Let me explain this for 5.1 to work the NOW TV boost settings must be set to either DolbyD+ or DolbyD+/DTS all other settings result in Stereo only. Sonos Beam does not work with DolbyD+ so will not output 5.1 with a NOW TV box or stick. Hopefully a future firmware update will let the DolbyD setting work which would then work with Sonos Beam.

Hope the above information helps, if you need any further help please do let us know on same."

So, okay, that's fine, Sonos does not support DD+. I did a bit of digging.

I have now discovered that my TV is not even detecting a dolby digital signal when watching content on NowTV. Prime/Disney+/Netflix all come up as a Dolby Digital source, and the Sonos interprets this fine. My TV (Sony 49X8005C) displays stereo for NowTV. I have repeatedly checked all settings, they are correct. The TV supports DD+ and it is a HDMI v1.3 cable.

Please can other people using a PS4 check this issue; is the PS4 even outputting in Dolby from NowTV?

I have a suspicion that the PS4 does not support DD+ from Apps. Although it does from blu-rays. I have a feeling NowTV have designed an audio codec that the PS4 does not support, at all.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay; issue fixed. 

Sonos does not support Dolby Digital plus. 

NowTV only gives Dolby Digital plus as the output. 

You need a device capable of converting down. 

Have changed to a newer model Sony TV which gives me the option to downmix DD+ to just standard DD over ARC. 

Issue resolved. 

MartinAsh1978
Scholar

Hmmm, if that's true then I assume this was updated in the app early this year because before that update 5.1 absolutely worked with Now TV and Sonos.

Having to upgrade the technology rather than the app seems a very strange solution. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surprising that they’ve effectively limited the app so PS4 users can’t output anything other than stereo. V annoying. 

MartinAsh1978
Scholar

Got sick of the BT app losing sound and noticed there had been an update to the PS4 app so I gave it a go and 5.1 now works again. 

Absolutely convinced they broke / changed something in the update earlier in the year. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still not working.