cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any NowTV boost users stopped getting 5.1 on PS4?

I had no issues till I noticed yesterday my AV receiver was saying the source was 2.0 instead of 5.1

I have boost, surround source selected in settings.

PS4 outputting 5.1 for games and Netflix but no longer for NowTV Movies, not sure why this is happening. (These a 5.1 movies)

I've reinstalled the app, and checked the settings etc. It just seems to have stopped working.

26 REPLIES 26
MartinAsh1978
Scholar

Just noticed this tonight as well. Everything was working fine but watched a movie tonight and 5.1 no longer works. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I think something changed. Before my sound outputs were ‘Linear PCM’ and it worked. They now say it needs to be ‘Bitstream Dolby’. I changed it and it works.

I’m not sure if they just changed the output requirements without notification
MartinAsh1978
Scholar

Hey,

My settings have always been set to bistream Dolby so in my case it doesn't seem to be that. I run my cable over optical so I'm guessing something has changed around that. Looks like I'm cancelling the pass at the moment 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I’ve just signed up to the boost and was disappointed that the 5.1 didn’t seem to work from my PS4 (my smart tv doesn’t actually have the Now TV app!!) but have found a workaround. 

I have Phillips Ambilight TV and a PS4 (base model) both hooked up to a Logitech 5.1 system, each via optical cables. I have them both hooked up as if I’m wanting to watch anything 4K I have to watch it through the tv as my base model PS4 is unable to output 4K. 

My PS4 audio out setting is always set to optical out as this works with everything, games, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video... but not for some unknown reason with the Now TV app. 

What seems to work is going into my PS4 settings and changing the audio out to HDMI and then using the 5.1 surround sound from the TV. It must be a problem with the Now TV app outputting through the optical out of the PS4 but by the what you guys said it’s a new issue. 

Anyway, this is just a workaround and not ideal as many people might not have things set up to be able to do this easily so I hope they fix this soon. 

Hope this works for you guys

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here. Only signed up yesterday. Playing in Dolby on Netflix and Amazon but not Now TV. I’ve made sure 5.1 is set on the Now TV settings but goes straight back to stereo as soon as I watch anything listed as 5.1. PS4 set to optical out and bitstream. Have tried every combo of settings on PS4 audio output and nothing works. Will be cancelling my account with Now TV really soon if this isn’t fixed👎

MartinAsh1978
Scholar

I've cancelled my boost pass, it's a waste of time for me. It doesn't seem to be a problem for many, I would have expected more people reporting the problem. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem here. Works fine with Netflix but not Now TV. PS4 by the way. Would have thought if there was a problem, we would have been enlightened about it before subscribing. 

MartinAsh1978
Scholar

I was on to the live chat people yesterday about it but it was hopeless, they didn't have a clue. I have tried using the PS4 and Sonos Beam directly using an optical and it does not work. I can only assume that it now only works directly with HDMI but as my ARC on my TV cannot do pass through I cannot test that. Optical worked fine in December, I've pretty much given up now as I don't think I am going to buy a new TV or replace my Sonos just so I can watch Sky Movies 😄

MartinAsh1978
Scholar

Tried Now TV on my BT YouView box and 5.1 works perfectly. Same setup. 100% sure they changed something on the PS4 app now 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also have this issue. 

When I first added it in December worked perfectly. Hasn't worked since January. Have reinstalled the app on my PS4 Pro, checked all the settings and ensured that surround sound is selected. Nothing. 

It's VERY frustrating. 

When is there going to be a fix for this?