cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
huxley123
Scholar 2

All 4 cropped picture/aspect ratio

On a lot of the old Channel 4 archive programmes (e.g. Comic Strip Presents) the sides of the frames seem to be chopped off.

I can mess about with aspect ratios on my TV and get the shape right so things don't appear distorted, leaving a very narrow picture,  but it looks as though the content has been cropped.

On some programmes it's watchable, but on some it crops off parts of credits, or text appearing screen, and often can't even see a character if they're at the side of a shot.

Is this a problem with the Channel 4 content, or is there something I can try to change in setup?

I've read plenty of posts about problems with aspect ratio, I can easily set that on my TV, but I haven't seen anything about the actual feed being cropped.

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @huxley123

If you believe the aspect ratio looks wrong or weird on any Channel 4 content when using the All 4 App and your TV / playback device is set to the correct aspect ratio or maybe auto setting, then you would need to contact channel 4 support dept who are responsible for the content shown on their App.

huxley123
Scholar 2

I'm waiting to hear back from ch4, but meantime I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm if this is happening for them, or if some users can see these programmes via NOW TV in the correct aspect ratio.

I've checked the online ch4 app on my PC & it's showing the correct aspect ratio there.

Looking at the end credits in 'Sean's Show' is an easy way to tell, when I view via NOW TV part of the credits text is cropped off.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@huxley123 wrote:

On a lot of the old Channel 4 archive programmes (e.g. Comic Strip Presents) the sides of the frames seem to be chopped off.

I can mess about with aspect ratios on my TV and get the shape right so things don't appear distorted, leaving a very narrow picture,  but it looks as though the content has been cropped.

On some programmes it's watchable, but on some it crops off parts of credits, or text appearing screen, and often can't even see a character if they're at the side of a shot.

Is this a problem with the Channel 4 content, or is there something I can try to change in setup?

I've read plenty of posts about problems with aspect ratio, I can easily set that on my TV, but I haven't seen anything about the actual feed being cropped.

That’s how they were filmed, wide screen wasn’t a thing back then he only way to make them full screen is to stretch them which distorts the image

huxley123
Scholar 2

I can view them correctly on the online app, it's only on NOW TV that they are cropped, so it isn't a problem with they way they were filmed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just checked for you, Sean's Show is definitely cropped on the sides compared to the All4 PC App, not sure what NOWTV can do about it, but All4 usually respond to emails quite quickly.

huxley123
Scholar 2

Thanks for checking, at least now I know it's not just me.

Seems Hill Street Blues is the same, and some other old comedy shows I tried.

Still haven't had a reply from C4.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll message them as well.

huxley123
Scholar 2

I've had a reply saying they've fixed it, but won't be able to check till later.

huxley123
Scholar 2

Sean's Show & Comic Strip Presents seem to be fixed but Hill Street Blues still looks wrong.