cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sound drop-out on PS4 NOW TV programmes and movies

Is anyone else having sound issues with playback on the PS4?

For the past few weeks I have noticed a regular sound drop-out occuring roughly every 10 minutes.  It lasts for less than a second each time, so more of a silent crackle if that makes sense.  It is not a buffering issue, and it is not interference as my audio system is not highlighting a change in sound type (as it would with interference).

Netflix and Amazon apps on the same PS4 are fine so I don't think it will be hardware related.  Is this a common issue?

Thanks, Mark

9 REPLIES 9
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Is anyone else having sound issues with playback on the PS4?

For the past few weeks I have noticed a regular sound drop-out occuring roughly every 10 minutes.  It lasts for less than a second each time, so more of a silent crackle if that makes sense.  It is not a buffering issue, and it is not interference as my audio system is not highlighting a change in sound type (as it would with interference).

Netflix and Amazon apps on the same PS4 are fine so I don't think it will be hardware related.  Is this a common issue?

Thanks, Mark

Hi @Anonymous User Strange issue here. I was using my PS4 last night to watch the football and didn't have any sound issues. Is it more or less exactly 10 minutes when you were hearing (or not lol) the silence? What kind of audio system are you using and was it on Live Content, Catch Up or both? And what model of PS4 is it? Pro, slim or Standard? I'll try and test it tonight again on the PRO and Standard if we don;t find a resolution today 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Tony-D,

It is a standard PS4 (1TB), connected to a Sony receiver via HDMI.  

It happens regularly on catch up (confirmed again this afternoon on an episode of Billions).  I have just tried a live stream (Sky Atlantic) for 20 minutes and it was the same. Stream quality on the catch up episode was 4866.

Thanks, Mark

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Tony-D,

It is a standard PS4 (1TB), connected to a Sony receiver via HDMI.  

It happens regularly on catch up (confirmed again this afternoon on an episode of Billions).  I have just tried a live stream (Sky Atlantic) for 20 minutes and it was the same. Stream quality on the catch up episode was 4866.

Thanks, Mark

Cheers @Anonymous User Have you tried a bit of trial and error? Like removing the middle man and plugging directly into the TV for sound? Just to test it out i mean. Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D I have played around with my setup and it doesn't make a difference.  I have the PS4 connected direct to the TV and listened through the amp (via ARC HDMI) and through the TV speakers.  I increased the volume and there is an audible crackle, I never noticed it before.

I had a thought, does the mechanics behind the scenes buffer in sections?  It could be a result of a transition to a different temporary file.  This would explain why it isn't happening with Amazon and Netflix apps. 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D I have played around with my setup and it doesn't make a difference.  I have the PS4 connected direct to the TV and listened through the amp (via ARC HDMI) and through the TV speakers.  I increased the volume and there is an audible crackle, I never noticed it before.

I had a thought, does the mechanics behind the scenes buffer in sections?  It could be a result of a transition to a different temporary file.  This would explain why it isn't happening with Amazon and Netflix apps. 

@Anonymous User Has to be with the app then. It's weird though as it doesn't happen even with the PS4 in the office here. Have you tried uninstalling or even deleteing the Cached data via the system saved data for NOW TV?

Never even thought of that tbh. I'll check back with the team and see if they know anything about it being in 'parts' rather than full files.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but the same issue is there.  It is not a showstopper, just one of those things that gets annoying after you notice it happening.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but the same issue is there.  It is not a showstopper, just one of those things that gets annoying after you notice it happening.

@Anonymous User I know what you mean, i tested it again last night through my Computer Speakers and my Yamaha Amp on the PS4 and PS4 Pro but couldn't detect a sound fault. Must be isolated or a rarity whihc affects a small number of users. Will have a word with the tech guys today sure. Hopefully we can fix it. At least it isn't a show stopper anyway.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D, I solved this through luck rather than design.

It appears the issue was with my sound settings on the PS4.  I had set it to Dolby Digital, but after changing the Audio Format to Linear PCM the sound issue has disappeared.  

The only reason I can think that Now TV was impacted, but Amazon and Netflix weren't, is that the audio isn't DD5.1.  Whatever the reason, it looks like it is an issue with my setup rather than the app itself.  

Regards, Mark

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D, I solved this through luck rather than design.

It appears the issue was with my sound settings on the PS4.  I had set it to Dolby Digital, but after changing the Audio Format to Linear PCM the sound issue has disappeared.  

The only reason I can think that Now TV was impacted, but Amazon and Netflix weren't, is that the audio isn't DD5.1.  Whatever the reason, it looks like it is an issue with my setup rather than the app itself.  

Regards, Mark

@Anonymous User This is unbelievable news tbh. I'll keep this in mind from now on. Thanks for finding the solution,  no luck in my eyes, just pure pioneering on your side. Thanks

Tony