cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Random Crashes, have to hard boot PS3

Can someone help me here? I'm using my PS3 to watch NOW tv, and it's fine 90% of the time, but out of the blue it just freezes and locks up.  It can do this whether I'm actually in the middle of watching an episode, or whether I'm between episodes.  The whole system becomes non-responsive to any input, even to the PS button, so I have to press and hold the off 'button' on the PS3 until it shuts down.  I then have to do that check of the system after starting up again in case of corruption, which so far (touch wood) I haven't had.  

I have Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and have never had any problems with those apps, and this is the first app on my PS3 that has ever caused this problem. 

It is not a case of me repeatedly pressing the O or X button as most of the time I'm not even touching the remote at the time. I have wondered if it's something to do on occasion with me being signed out of the PS network, but that's not 100% the case either.  Whatever it is I am grateful for any solutions as I am very worried about this damaging my PS3, so unless NOW tv would buy me a new PS3 if it's damaged because of this issue, I would be very grateful for some solutions.  

I think I must have the latest version of the software, as I only started using it a few weeks ago and my software was downloaded at that time. 

Thanks... eagerly awaiting ideas,

CrossStitchGal. 

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm on the free trial and it's crashed twice. I'm not impressed. I've had to hard reboot as the ps3 system is completely irresponsive. Then the ps3 has to check the file system for damage on reboot. It is scary and I don't want to try again!!
It happens when i search for a show, then choose something, it then freezes, and their is no way out.
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have encountered when trying to view NOW TV on your PS3. 

The NOW TV app may crash if you tap two or more buttons on your PS3 controller at the same time, or have a faulty button.

We have two solutions for you. Try the first and if the app continues to crash, give the second one a go.

Solution 1

Simply close the NOW TV app, and then restart it.

Solution 2

Uninstall and reinstall the app, following these quick steps:

Start by deleting the NOW TV app

• Press the PS Button on your controller to get to your main menu, the PS3 XMB (Xross Media Bar).
  • Go to TV/Video Services and find the NOW TV App.
  • Press TRIANGLE and select Delete.

Next, erase the app data

• Head back to the main menu, and this time select Game Data Utility (under the Game section). 
  • Find the NOW TV Data and press TRIANGLE, followed by Delete.

Lastly, re-install the app

• Restart your PS3 and download the NOW TV app again.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Karl 

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am so fed up of this happening. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, hard boot, safe mode, restored my system storage, its very frustrating. I dont have tv, sky or virgin etc. I only have my PS3 with Now Tv. I just want to watch films without having to restore my system all the time! Once Now Tv crashes, it crashes everything so I cant even watched my DVDs unless my PS3 system is restored which takes a while to complete because of the crash caused by Now Tv!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The controller will be the root cause of the  apps apparant crashes, in reality though a fault in the analog switches will be what is going on. It’s a pain I know but now tv stick is peanuts and headache free, not to mention cheaper than fixing the original prob.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Alot of PS3 users get this including me. Try @Karl-F 's advice and it should start working.

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

The PS3 app is very faulty, this happens to almost everyone who has that app. Sometimes uninstalling the app and installing it again can help but it's not a 100% fix.

A sign to look out for if it is going to crash is when you find a show you want to watch and it's just the title with no picture, it's likely to freeze and crash as soon as you start it so restart the app to be safe 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂