cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Live Stream Delay

Hello. 
I noticed before Christmas that when using NowTV Sky Sports on my Xbox One - the stream was around 25-30 seconds behind real life. On my phone it was around 65-70 seconds behind real life.

However, since Christmas the stream on my Xbox is now 130-135 seconds behind real life and on my phone it’s 90-95 seconds. 

has their been new settings that I need to apply? Or what is going on?

I’ve deleted the app, and reinstalled and it’s made no difference. I have NowTV sky sports month pass with boost. 

it’s a nightmare now - because every live game you are so far behind real life sports games, that you are getting text messages celebrating a goal or that - and don’t see it for another 2 minutes.

any help?

7 REPLIES 7
JonnyB147
Scholar

Have you watched a live stream on betting websites? It’s about 1 second behind the live stream. So if betting websites can do it, why can’t NOW? 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JonnyB147 

Even iPlayer is 90 seconds behind the live stream. Which is far from ideal.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Personally I don’t have an active sports membership, so I can’t really comment. But from what I remember your right there was about a 30 second delay from NOWs big brother Sky. 

Is it possible that it’s down to the fault with Xbox not being fully supported by boost and only getting 25fps instead of 50fps? 

Jump onto live chat and explain the situation, it sure does sound like a issue though. 
Make sure to click “chat online”.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

There will always be a delay when streaming live over the internet compared to over the air broadcast, radio, satellite etc where the feed needs to be converted, added to servers, then passes through multiple exchanges and miles of cable.

i am sure i read somewhere Chromecast streams have to go through the Google servers, plus the initial server on the streaming service that you are using which causes further delays reaching the device you are watching on.

i also read that Panasonic Smart TV's does something similar where the feed from Netflix for example doesn't go directly down the internet pipe and is re directed first to the Panasonic servers before eventually reaching the Panasonic televisions if you use the inbuilt Apps through the Smart TV.

Where now and again there would be an outage for example on something like Netflix, where Netflix was fine and sending the stream from their servers down the internet pipe, but the problem was at the Panasonic servers end causing the outage and error before the feed reached the customer 😠.

No idea how the time delay has now dramatically increased on your Xbox for NOW live Sports Streams if the internet traffic hasn't increased significantly (unless the NOW streams are also going through Xbox online servers similar to when using Google Chromecast devices).

Can you test the live terrestrial Apps such has a live Sports feed on BBC iPlayer etc (when a live feed is available outside the studio) against the live feed over the air, by switching between both to see if the delay is more than a minute or so and on a similar par to NOW Sports.

I remember watching the World Cup on BBC iPlayer and the time delay between a 1080p live stream on IPlayer and UHD 4K on IPlayer was about a further minute and a half time lag on the 4K stream because of more data and higher quality conversation involved on the BBC iPlayer.

When i watch Sports that i really want to watch i personally keep away from my phone and the internet.

Though i appreciate a lot of people have smartphones and other internet devices glued to their hands 😀.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Firstly ignore the typo and spelling mistakes on my other post (missed the mistakes and didn't have time to edit) 😉.

Here's an old article from the internet about Panasonic diverting internet traffic through their own servers when using the Apps on their Smart TV's.

https://www.myce.com/news/panasonic-routes-internet-traffic-of-smart-tv-apps-through-own-servers-776... 

Where i also had problems with BBC iPlayer and Netflix in the past by going through the Panasonic servers on my Panasonic Smart TV.

I don't use my Panasonic Smart TV anymore and don't know if this is still the case on newer Panasonic models.

tomasio72
Scholar

I have found a delay of over a minute on lg TV app 

tomasio72
Scholar

I now find the delay of around 2 mins