cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dark PS4 Output

When trying to use the NowTV app on my PS4, the quality is okay, however, when scenes are dark, much of the screen is black and barely anything can be seen.

When plugging in a laptop to the same screen, the scene looks normal and everything can be seen normally. 

How do I fix it so that the colours/blacks are normal on ps4? I tried fiddling with the HDR/video output settings on the PS4 but not much helps. 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same is happening here... I had been watching Modern Family on Netflix but season 8+ is only available on NowTV...

Subscribed to it but the quality is way lower and everything is dark and washed out on the PS4 ... Given that it’s fine on Netflix, my money is on the stream/NowTV app rather than it being TV settings 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Bit of a long shot check the TV picture settings on the HDMI input source connected to your PS4 that the gamma is set to somewhere around 2.2 to 2.4 (the higher the gamma the darker the picture).

Also in the picture settings on both your TV and PS4 see if there is an option for RGB Full Range or Normal, where for Normal is the standard for Video playback.

If you are referring to the dark scene's in Game of Thrones, then the way this TV show has been filmed there is a lot of dark crush in the picture (you could up the brightness or black light on your TV then you will find the daylight scenes look over exposed).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been having the same issue, where the blacks are completely washed out and extremely murkey. It's horrible viewing, considering a large portion of Thrones is dark. Don't have this problem streaming on the built in Now TV app on an LG television, it only seems to occur on the PS4 app. I'll try your suggestions, but the app seems to be terrible on the whole on console. Sports also have awful streaming quality. Not a great experience to be honest.