cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Audio description

My partner has RP and is rapidly loosing her sight, and we are really struggling to find movies and TV shows with English  audio description.not just nowtv but have prime video and had Netflix. Dose anyone have any suggestions please !!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

There are loads of resources for audio description. BBC supply it through their iPlayer appp, Netflix have a huge amount of content and all their home produced stuff has it, as does amazon prime, Apple TV plus and all four. Now TV is pretty much the back runner when it comes to this but, it's sky, they're crap. Remember also that a lot of the sky Atlantic stuff, the really good stuff from HBO, isn't natively audio described because America isn't as forward thinking with rules about audio description as the UK.

A fantastic resource that I use constantly is called audio vault dot org (typing it so it doesn't get plucked out), which is just the audio aspect of movies and TV with audio description. It doesn't make for great social viewing, I tent to watch with friends and get them to describe, but it's a great way of independently enjoying show series.

Good luck, it must be a very difficult time for you and your partner. Good communication is very helpful so you could describe some shows to her but also ask for feedback. It's actually quite fun though can be hard as it's difficult to not talk over vital dialogue.

Good luck.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

According to this linked article below NowTV don't currently offer any Audio Description support for their NowTV Content 😠.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/accessibility-support

Not sure about about third party Apps such has BBC iPlayer and what content they have that is AD supported, the same goes with Freeview etc.

I did a quick research on the internet and found this link below on the Netflix UK streaming service on what stuff they have which is AD supported (where i am assuming you know this already).

https://uk.[voucher code removed].com/languages/english-audio-description/ 

Sorry it's not the answer you was after for your partner when using NowTV.

Maybe other forum members who have AD dependent family or friends can offer you some more suggestions where to find AD content out there.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Looks like the Community Forum is blocking the link to the useful Netflix webpage.

Where if you remove the (voucher code removed) bit from the url link and insert [voucher code removed] this will hopefully get you to the 33 page list of AD titles they reckon they have.

I just tried "Better Call Saul" has an example and AD worked when setting AD on the Netflix App on my NowTV box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The NowTV forum software is blocking certain things that i am allowed to post or link.

Maybe if you haven't tried already see if you internet browser search engine finds the link i am talking about by typing "English - Audio Description - Netflix UK" where it gives a 33 page list of AD supported TV shows & movies.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m visually impaired, and have switchover to NOW TV from Talk Talk TV, because they are no longer providing some content on their TV platform. 

I was horrified to learn that a big company like sky doesn’t provide audio description on their internet  NOW TV Service. 

I think a campaign needs to be started to get them to provide AD. Come on Ofcom and RNIB.