cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080P update

I have seen a few posts wanting to know when the Now TV output will be upgraded from 720P to 1080P, so I contacted Now TV support today to get an update.

They confirmed that this is definitely being 'worked on' but they could not confirm when or if it will be available. They also could not confirm that it will arrive in 2019.

It sounds like it is not a quick & easy thing to do, otherwise we would have it already. 

My personal view is that we will get it eventually as there will be a strong commercial reason for it, because competitors are commonly providing 1080P or even 4K output now.

Hope that helps some of you. 

86 REPLIES 86
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sounds good to me. Appreciate all who let me know about this. Feels good to be part of the NOWTV Community. Just need to fix my reconnection issues which the technical checks seem to be more than oblivious to including the fact that the show me having one of the new Style Hubs. I only have the square chubby one. I do have a SKY hub which I imagine is exactly the same. Would I be able to use this for my NowTV Broadband Services contract account do you think. Taking into consideration that I have an icle bit of an online dispute waiting to be resolved with Sky. Any and all advice would be appreciated And welcome. X Helgy [email removed]/account
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky who of course is the same company as Now TV has been promising 1080p since 2018 and I thought I would get it for Christmas for movies but no. 

The chance we will get it now is slim as I woukd of thought it would be 1080p. 

They are pushing the football sports package which is still quite a lot of money, now tv should be on amazon available also on amazon firestick like bbc, itv ch5, netflix 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

It’s not possible that Amazon would think NowTV a bit too close a rival to Amazon Prime Video?

But I’m sure that if there was a deal to put NowTV on there, it would have to be reciprocal, and Amazon would appear on the Sticks, etc.

If you want both right on one device now, though, then the Roku devices fill the bill here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think your right, they do see them as a rival, but I think all these services need to start thinking of there customers a bit more. 

With the influx of new services like apple and Disney approaching fast sky could be left behind.

We need one box that does it all or several boxes depending on which service you had first to be able to run other apps 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Ah, ‘one box to rule them all’. The YouView box always had this ambition, slipped back a bit, but seems to be on track to achieve this at last, if/when we finally get full NowTV on it.

The Roku devices have probably stolen a march on YouView as far as apps go, but don’t compete in the ‘live TV with recording’ space, where YouView is potentially rivalled by Freeview Play, Freesat, Sky and Virgin, who don’t have the full complement of apps, though.

With the PSBs still being a big thing, further streaming services coming on line aren’t going to bring down Sky; all they will do is fragment the existing streaming services by nibbling a few things away from each and wanting us to pay more money.

A straw in the wind was when The Bureau, which we had been watching on Amazon Prime, moved so that the third series was on Sundance, one of the satellite services that Amazon wanted an extra subscription for. We didn’t bite, so we lost out; and so did they.

But at the moment, we are in a golden age where we can pretty much get everything out there with just a few subscriptions, maybe three; soon, we will need seven, which we will decline to do, we will have to be selective again, and so the golden age will have come and gone.

Watch the torrents, currently practically non-existent, start coming back to life....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Torrents alive and well on a well known much maligned platform (K*d*) 😉

crashcris
Scholar

Well 1080p and 5.1 is now here, to access it it's called Now TV Boost and it'll cost an extra £3 per month. Sorry, but I think it's taking the proverbial to charge extra at this stage.

RoyB
Legend

@crashcris 

Netflix charge £3 a month extra for HD

crashcris
Scholar

@RoyB 

True, but Netflix's full HD charges for all their Movies and TV box sets is £8.99, whereas Now TV Entertainment + Movies +Boost is £22.89. Amazon Prime with all their films and TV box sets in HD and 5.1 is still £7.99. The quantity on offer on Now TV is fractions of the other 2 services for way more than double the price. Do you not see how it seems a little like they're already overcharging and asking for a further £3 comes across as "taking the proverbial"?