cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080P update

I have seen a few posts wanting to know when the Now TV output will be upgraded from 720P to 1080P, so I contacted Now TV support today to get an update.

They confirmed that this is definitely being 'worked on' but they could not confirm when or if it will be available. They also could not confirm that it will arrive in 2019.

It sounds like it is not a quick & easy thing to do, otherwise we would have it already. 

My personal view is that we will get it eventually as there will be a strong commercial reason for it, because competitors are commonly providing 1080P or even 4K output now.

Hope that helps some of you. 

86 REPLIES 86
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @RoyB 

@gavs82008has started a thread https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Other-Apps/Sky-Go-update/m-p/505344#M2143 that may be of interest re NowTV and Amazon (it's the latest on the new Sky Go rollout).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @RoyB 

The Roku Streaming Stick+ (4k with auto refresh rate) is the best investment I've made in a long time. Not only does it give you all the major players in the UK but offers so much more besides. I run Plex on it for my own archived material, and love delving into some of the more obscure channels (apps) on offer. It's amazing for vintage tv (Flash Gordon anyone?) 😀

Anonymous User
Not applicable

First time user of NowTV last weekend when I bought a day sports pass to watch football. TBH had a headache by the end ‘cos being used to Sky UHD Nows quality was not something i’d Want to experience again. Had been hoping to use Now for the 2019  golf majors during April - July as it’d be more cost effective than adding Skysports back to my package - guess i’ll Just need to keep check scoreboard updates online. Doubt I’ll use Now again until they can offer 1080.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks very much for the update, as for it being a hard thing to do, I would say in the nicest way no its not. I would just be happy if they could fix the framerate issue as that is even worse when trying to watch football.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just agree, it isn’t remotely hard in this day and age to put out 1080p content. To give it some kind of comparison..

Lovefilm (now of course defunct, and now replaced by Amazon Prime) started 1080p streaming in 2012.

iTunes too also started moving over to 1080p in 2012.

Netflix full HD came before that in 2010.

Whilst YouTube 1080p started rolling out in 2009.

The “difficulty” has nothing to do with the content, it’s been the fact they (Sky Plc) have wanted a premium high profit product In Sky Q to run alongside a lower margin, less quality Now Tv service. Originally they announced last January that 1080p streaming would come “by years end”, the delay of 4K HDR content to the Sky Q platform meant that it would have brought Now Tv quality too close until that rolls out in mid 2019. Aside from that there’s now the added complication of Sky itself now looking at Sky Tv over Broadband (Iptv), which again will change how they want to reposition Now Tv in the market. All that before we even get to Comcast now taking over, and the new bigwigs in charge now possibly having a different take on how they want the services playing out with each other.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Personally, I would be very pleased to see 1080P on NowTV. I am not looking for 4K HDR despite having a 4K HDR TV already. 

I just watched the first episode of The Grand Tour Season 3 in 4K HDR on Amazon Prime Video and can't say there was much difference vs the 1080P version. 

Sky can present Sky Q as their flagship 4K service - that's fine by me. Just give us 1080P on NowTV. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I like 4k HDR content, I have an 4k LG OLED TV, but if the bitrates high enough then I'd be quite happy with a decent 1080p source if 4k isn't readily available. I only watched Captain America Winter Soldier on Blu-ray last night and still thought the picture was pretty stunning. Its only really when side by side that you notice the subtle differences. (hense why I've certainly not entertained paying Sky an extra £12 a month for the privelage of the odd smattering of 4k when it isn't even HDR yet. As things stand I'll just stick to renting 4k and Blu-ray movies on disc online, and when Now Tv Sky Cinema actually becomes a decent proposition I'll pick up another Movie Pass. For now the service does for the background fodder my partner likes to watch, and Sky Sports News. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just out of interest on this topic, I recently watched Deadpool 2 on DVD (not Blu-ray) via PS4. With the upscaling added by the console, the picture quality was at least as good as the NowTV 720p streaming.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wasn't sure if Now Tv had gone to 1080p at first sight earlier, as the movie quality looks to be a lot sharper than usual 🤔 there is certainly an improvement I'd say ( Now Tv box set to 1080p) in fact it's the best quality I have seen Now Tv, either that or my eyes have improved 🤔 Anybody else notice this?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Haven't noticed anything different, from what I remember as part of last years survey that he 1080p would be an add-on from the 720p at a price. 

Unless that is changed and its now 1080p as default, I supect that perhaps the 720p stream has improved slightly?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help