cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080P update

I have seen a few posts wanting to know when the Now TV output will be upgraded from 720P to 1080P, so I contacted Now TV support today to get an update.

They confirmed that this is definitely being 'worked on' but they could not confirm when or if it will be available. They also could not confirm that it will arrive in 2019.

It sounds like it is not a quick & easy thing to do, otherwise we would have it already. 

My personal view is that we will get it eventually as there will be a strong commercial reason for it, because competitors are commonly providing 1080P or even 4K output now.

Hope that helps some of you. 

86 REPLIES 86
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Anonymous User
Not applicable

A lot of speculation and conjecture in that article, not atypical of the stuff usually found on that site.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Watching venom last night via a now tv smart box (the one with freeview receiver functionality) the TV showed the signal info as 1080p. So is the now tv box "up scaling" the 720p transmission to 1080p format? Or is it actually 1080p? Still crappy stereo sound - wish the movies choice was a bit better on netflix or prime
Anonymous User
Not applicable
My understanding of the NowTV box is that it is 1080P capable. When you connect to the TV it will therefore state '1080P' on screen. However, that does NOT mean that the stream you are receiving is 1080P. In the case of NowTV, it is still 720P although some TV's will upscale the output so that it looks better than that.

Hope that helps 😁
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Just stumbled across this post on the BT forum re Now TV. Seems to me that customer testing might begin in July hopefully on our end without need for YouView boxes (wishful thinking I know!).

Fingers crossed some official word comes out soon, the new football season is not far away and still no updates from either BT or Sky!

Message 16 of 16
Re: Full Now TV through the YouView box

Spoke to BT TV sales team today, looks like we will be informed next steps in July with the service hopefully starting in the first week of August this year.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

They aren't leaving much time for testing and the various updates that usually follow in the testing environment to sort out bugs etc.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5
An article has just surfaced for customers in Ireland.
https://www.balls.ie/other/sky-sports-distribution-deal-413148

In short Sky, BT and Premier Sports will be bundled together as one pack called Sports Extra. Prices yet to be confirmed.
Wonder if this goes for Now TV and to get Premier sports on Now TV would also be handy for the La Liga and some Scottish games.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

I'd be surprised if Premier Sports did a similar deal with Sky in the UK. The main reason Sky have taken up the Irish deal is due to Premier having the 3pm kick offs on a Saturday afternoon in the EPL, where of course no such scenario (3pm Saturday KOs) can happen on UK screens, therefore Premier would not be as tempting a proposition to Sky in the UK market.

That article you link to is an incredible piece of misinformation, eg. Moreover, the move also means the company will secure rights for the Champions League and the Europa League, as BT Sport currently hold both. Sky won't be 'securing rights' to the UCL/UEL, they are going to be selling BT Sport channels, BT of course still hold the rights to those tournaments, not Sky 😆

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Looks at those July 22nd 2019 is the launch date for BT Sports to appear on now tv boxes. If you go into google and type in new freeview channels forthcoming and click on forthcoming changes and it there.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Fingers crossed its true hopefully we will hear something from Sky or Bt very soon.