cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080P update

I have seen a few posts wanting to know when the Now TV output will be upgraded from 720P to 1080P, so I contacted Now TV support today to get an update.

They confirmed that this is definitely being 'worked on' but they could not confirm when or if it will be available. They also could not confirm that it will arrive in 2019.

It sounds like it is not a quick & easy thing to do, otherwise we would have it already. 

My personal view is that we will get it eventually as there will be a strong commercial reason for it, because competitors are commonly providing 1080P or even 4K output now.

Hope that helps some of you. 

86 REPLIES 86
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5
Having seen clear differences of Now TV between my 4K tv and a standard 1080p TV I would say that it’s just being upscaled and not actually outputting at 1080p.

As much as I’d want it to be 1080p right now, I can’t see it happening unless you pay a bit extra.
It was suggested in a survey last year that 1080p along with 5.1 surround sound and 4 streams at once would come at a cost of £5 which would cover all passes.
Hopefully we see something happen in time for the Now TV launch on BT TV boxes, which is when I suspect it will.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

...and always has been.

Not a practical option for those of us who only occasionally subscribe. Like currently I do for GoT. (Though I'd regularly get Cinema if it was in 1080p with surround sound like the other services I pick flit between)

I just plain don't watch enough TV, so Sky/Now aren't interested in the thousands of us like that.

I'm sure Netflix and Amazon aren't complaining.

(Might be my imagination, wishful thinking or maybe something to do with bandwidth, but GoT tonight did look better defined)

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

It is a Sky owned company, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a chargeable add-on. 

Would like to hope they could add perks on that, say to double the streams to 4 instead of 2 and devices from 6 to 12.

5.1 surround sound should be in as default regardless of this possible chargeable addon

Thankfully I haven't had too many issues when watching football (although I don't often watch it. But I have seen it in poor action elsewhere so I would agree that it would be a waste if they couldn't improve on that. 

I have BT sport (thanks to a cheap add on via my EE Max Plan) on my Samsung TV, watched Hearts vs Hibs a couple weeks ago. The stream was completely flawless, also as default it was in HD. 

Hopefully it will be similar quality to BT sport on the dedicated TV app.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve got a feeling 1080p upgrade will happen just before the 2019/2020 football season starts and BT Sports channels will appear also. I think it will launch either July or August time.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Apparently call centre staff have been telling folk it's been delayed to October at the earliest. Don't know how much store I'd put in that though.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good news if it’s true but my guess is the testing will go on until Q4 of 2019, and then they will do a limited launch of 1080p on the NowTV 4K boxes with an increased monthly subscription charge and a one-off activation fee for upgrading to 1080p, and after another 6 months or so there’s a chance they might roll it out to other devices/ platforms with Apple TV presumably being the last given the app on there has not been updated for 4 or 5 years now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Doesnt matter what box or app you use, all the same rubbish 720 and poor frame rate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmmm, interesting. I just watched Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom and it looked like the usual 720P to me. And I had such high hopes... 🤔 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hmmm, interesting. I just watched Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom and it looked like the usual 720P to me. And I had such high hopes... 🤔 

Hi, I have Fallen Kingdom on as I text and it looks amazing, defo 1080p!! Sharp, detailed, lovely deep colours 😊 ( watching through NowTv latest box)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So is this telling us that 1080P can be achieved but only through the NowTV hardware? Seems possible. 

I watch via the PS4 app and it is definitely still in 720P (watched Curvature movie last night). Therefore it would have to be the case that the 3rd party apps (like smart tv and PS4) will need software updates to achieve the same output. Makes sense. 

Fingers crossed for that and let's see.