cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Champcar59
Scholar 3

Re: 1080P update

@Fellapb wrote:

I watched the latest episode of GOT on now tv last night it was ok but had to turn off as it was just to dark to watch.

I ended watching it today on a friends TV that had sky in 1080p and I could see it fine.

Something look ok, Billions looks good but its Not 1080p

It should be 1080p and I thought it would be now, I use the built in app on Samsung. 

Is the now TV 4k box worth buying is the quality better.

The Now Tv 4K Box has NO bearing on anything shown on Now Tv it is only useful for Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Another misrepresentation by Now Tv for anyone not doing there homework before buying one.

gavs82008
Expert 2

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/now-tv/147996-now-tv-plus-1080p-streaming-service-launching

Link confirms that trials are going ahead for 1080p on Now TV. Although and unsurprisingly there is no release date when it is coming out, apart from "later" this year. 

@gavs82008 

As per the link Full HD streaming option so more than likely a chargeable addon. Let's hope it's 50fps otherwise it will be a waste of time.

gavs82008
Expert 2

It is a Sky owned company, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a chargeable add-on. 

Would like to hope they could add perks on that, say to double the streams to 4 instead of 2 and devices from 6 to 12.

5.1 surround sound should be in as default regardless of this possible chargeable addon

Thankfully I haven't had too many issues when watching football (although I don't often watch it. But I have seen it in poor action elsewhere so I would agree that it would be a waste if they couldn't improve on that. 

I have BT sport (thanks to a cheap add on via my EE Max Plan) on my Samsung TV, watched Hearts vs Hibs a couple weeks ago. The stream was completely flawless, also as default it was in HD. 

Hopefully it will be similar quality to BT sport on the dedicated TV app.

UKTVPlayapp
Expert

I’ve got a feeling 1080p upgrade will happen just before the 2019/2020 football season starts and BT Sports channels will appear also. I think it will launch either July or August time.

kmahmood
Scholar

Good news if it’s true but my guess is the testing will go on until Q4 of 2019, and then they will do a limited launch of 1080p on the NowTV 4K boxes with an increased monthly subscription charge and a one-off activation fee for upgrading to 1080p, and after another 6 months or so there’s a chance they might roll it out to other devices/ platforms with Apple TV presumably being the last given the app on there has not been updated for 4 or 5 years now.

@UKTVPlayapp 

Apparently call centre staff have been telling folk it's been delayed to October at the earliest. Don't know how much store I'd put in that though.

Champcar59
Scholar 3

If they start charging for full HD it’s Ta Ta to Now Tv 

Highlighted
kmahmood
Scholar

Well Sky have for years been charging extra for HD channels, so no surprise if they do on Now TV also when this update happens - I’m curious if they might also give an option to watch sports in 50 FPS if you pay another few quid extra for something marketed cleverly as UltraSmoothMotion or something like that. 

0 Thanks
Flaggy69
Mentor

This is all an absolute joke. 

Last year the official line was "by the end of this year (2018)"

It's clear that there is a chargeable upgrade, and that is subscribing to Sky proper.