cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080P update

I have seen a few posts wanting to know when the Now TV output will be upgraded from 720P to 1080P, so I contacted Now TV support today to get an update.

They confirmed that this is definitely being 'worked on' but they could not confirm when or if it will be available. They also could not confirm that it will arrive in 2019.

It sounds like it is not a quick & easy thing to do, otherwise we would have it already. 

My personal view is that we will get it eventually as there will be a strong commercial reason for it, because competitors are commonly providing 1080P or even 4K output now.

Hope that helps some of you. 

86 REPLIES 86
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Not at all, I don’t have. Now TV stick or box and the movies was definitely 1080p or near as damnit.

my guess is that it’s just a rollout they could be doing. 

Either way it is another small step in the right direction 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I hope you are right there. I would be interested if you perceive 1080P on every single movie, including some of the older back catalogue. 

When I watched Leave No Trace it looked like 1080P, but the two movies I watched after that were certainly 720P.

Would be good to gather some more evidence of what is going on...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I hope you are right there. I would be interested if you perceive 1080P on every single movie, including some of the older back catalogue. 

When I watched Leave No Trace it looked like 1080P, but the two movies I watched after that were certainly 720P.

Would be good to gather some more evidence of what is going on...

Funny you should mention 1080p being on all movies as I thought the same, a lot of the older ones were in 1080p and up to now I haven't come across any that looks 720p, so fingers crossed, also the LIVE movie channels are also in 1080p which is good as I was a bit sceptical they'd only be restricted to catalogue titles.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I watched Ocean's Eight last night, via the PS4 app and it was in 720P. Definitely.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Where are people getting this 1080p from, nothing has changed, its running at 720p as normal and the bit rate is 4865, you can see the bitrate on the samsung Tv's, I have tested on now tv box and 2 Tv's, nothing has changed. I actually have sky movies via sat which ends in a few weeks, nowhere near as good as that.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

For me I had noticed an improvement on the usual pciture quality from the movies on my Samsung TV app. Would say it was wishful thinking that it was bumped up to 1080p. 

Either way its still better than Standard Definition.

The usual from Now TV/Sky, no updates on when 1080p is officially getting released. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I watched GOT 2 nights ago on my samsubg TV, looked decent, bit rate was exactly the same as I did check that, I'll need to try a movie tonight. I tried sky sports news and it was the usual awful, really not fit for purpose.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it possible that the Samsung TV is somehow upscaling the image, using its own Samsung software? Does it say anything about that in the manual? 

My new Sony 4k HDR TV does not - PS4 Now TV app outputs at 720P and 4865 stream quality. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there, its still running at same resolution and same bit rate on samsung.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well, I just watched the movie 'Blue Iguana' and the picture looked almost 1080P to me. Most confusing... 🤔