cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080P update

I have seen a few posts wanting to know when the Now TV output will be upgraded from 720P to 1080P, so I contacted Now TV support today to get an update.

They confirmed that this is definitely being 'worked on' but they could not confirm when or if it will be available. They also could not confirm that it will arrive in 2019.

It sounds like it is not a quick & easy thing to do, otherwise we would have it already. 

My personal view is that we will get it eventually as there will be a strong commercial reason for it, because competitors are commonly providing 1080P or even 4K output now.

Hope that helps some of you. 

86 REPLIES 86
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not even sure why in 2019 that Sky would say there would be any kind of issue broadcasting NowTv in 1080p.The competition have been doing it for some time and as Sky have always been leaders in the field of broadcasting in the UK it is simply laziness on there part.Netflix And Amazon only recommend 5mbps internet speed for 1080p and as most internet subscribers even BT will be getting an average speed of 6 to 9 mbps again laziness springs to mind.

cheers

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

I don’t have any Now Tv devices as I watch Now TV through my Samsung TV app.

The 1080p appears to be only on the Movies, perhaps when they did the price increase. I’m fine with that if they apply it to the Entertainment pass too. 

Still doesn’t take away that they need to add 5.1 surround sound and streaming more than 2 devices at once would be handy.

Plus don’t get me started on how poor the Sports passes are, far too much missing to justify even getting a day pass never mind a month pass!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

That being said I was watching Now TV through the Samsung app on the TV and not through a Now Tv device.

Doubt that would make any difference though.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008

Unless the Samsung is upscaling the image with its in-built software, maybe?

Forgot to say that Aliens SE is one of my all time favourites - those Sentry Units are awesome. Never understood why those scenes were cut from the 'standard' release.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's definately in 1080p now guys, just as i thought 😊 put Transformers The last night and it was the same quality more or less as the bluray, also had it confirmed on another forum that it went 1080p when the price went up, that aside i can clearly see that it's 1080p!! I put Now Tv through my smart Tv app and it did look softer, so probably need a Now Tv stand alone device. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

That's always good to know, as I have a few shows on Now TV to catch up on today. No doubt will end up watching a film too.

Will have a nosy to see if it still says SD next to the info, but it seems more of a bit rate improvement than a full move to 1080p. Would of course love to be proven wrong!

Perhaps, this is in line with the pending price increase for the movies pass in April?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I was also thinking the same thing that it may have something to do with the price increase 🤔 I haven't got an 'info' segment on my device (not like with Netflix) this is based on my own experience as a home cinema enthusiast 😁 I also watched the same couple of films on Netflix and NowTv and if I didn't know better I wouldn't be able to choose which was which 😯 it was that close!! Was just nice too see Now Tv on such better quality 😁