cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

remove horror movies from menus -- safe for children

Hello,

Is there a function to remove horror movies form appearing in the cinema menus.   I have a nowtv box and when viewing lists of films it is really disconcerting that horror movies appear in the list with their graphic title image.  My children are the predominate users of NowTV.

If there is not a function already -- can I ask that you consider implementing a children safe login or area; or the ability to totally hide via pin or unsubscribe from certain content appearing in the menus.

Kind regards

J

18 REPLIES 18
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy I think it would be neat because it could separate the kids stuff to say the horror movies like this post suggests. 😉

Maybe we could have a password to enter into the proper NOWTV app (optional of course). 

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I'm of the opinion that the 'Kids' service has the potential to be bigger than it is now. Along with providing some basic and learning games.

I'd also like to think that if the 'Kids' service was available via a separate 'app' there might also be an argument for it not to take up a device slot, so we could stop recommending to people that thay should create a separate NOW TV account 😉

Cheers

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

It's definitely an interesting discussion and not an easy one when you think about it.

I can't see NOW TV going into creating learning games and resources, it's something BBC have a history of doing when they used to have more money but I can't recall Sky ever being interested in it, they just want to sell the channels. Also, whilst tablets are great devices for young children to engage with intuitively, a NOW TV remote control doesn't lend itself to more than very rudimentary games (if you've ever checked out the Games section on Roku you'll get the idea!)

A separate app could definitely separate out the content more clearly, especially if it allowed access to the U certificate movies from the Cinema Pass so they don't need to go back into the NOW TV app for those, but unless you're going to do it for all devices you end up with one system for the box, another system for everything else, and I'm not sure that's the experience NOW TV want to create. Also it's still too easy to access the rest of the content, especially once children discover what the NOW TV button on the remote does.

As for device limits on kids passes, well that would be nice on any pass but as we know that's all down to carrier arguments over piracy and I would have thought Nickelodeon will be just as protective as FOX over their live channel content. Still, imagine the uproar on the forum when entertainment pass holders find out kids pass users don't have a device limit! Could be fun!

For me, I still reckon some kind of user profile system like Netflix uses is the easiest way to stop accidentally browsing unwanted content, it's simple and it's built into the one app so it's the same experience on all devices. Children can still find other content, but they have to go looking for it rather than accidentally coming across it, which I think was the point the OP is making (ie you can't currently hide it away somewhere with NOW TV). In fact, the Netflix system seems so simple I'm surprised other services don't follow it (I don't think Amazon do either, do they?) which makes me wonder if they have some kind of patent on it.

Casey might have just about struck the nail on the head with a passcode to get into the NOW TV app - maybe we could have two choices on opening the app, Kids (no passcode needed which leads straight into the kids area plus Cinema U/PG films for those with a Cinema pass) and Adults (or whatever you want to call it) which leads into the normal NOW TV experience. If a parental PIN is set this needs to be entered to get into Adults, but unlocks full viewing rights so adults don't have to keep entering the PIN every time a show exceeds the PIN (which has been another gripe on the forum). Now if only entering a passcode was easier with the NOW TV remote!

Mind you, I'm sure if there was a simple solution NOW TV would have implemented it by now, and not having children myself I'm sure I'm missing some obvious pros and cons for all the suggestions, as well as a few great ideas that simply haven't occurred to me.

Like I say it's an interesting topic for discussion, let's hope NOW TV have been having those discussions behind closed doors and have some plans up their sleeves!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

Mind you, I'm sure if there was a simple solution NOW TV would have implemented it by now, and not having children myself I'm sure I'm missing some obvious pros and cons for all the suggestions, as well as a few great ideas that simply haven't occurred to me.

The simplest solution would be for NOW TV customers who have Kids to have a dedicated NOW TV box just for them. Which could be configured especially for them when first setting-up/initialising the box 😉

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital that would work if we are talking about a bedroom setting, but not for communal areas. 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I think it's time for NOW TV to review the development of their 'branded' products.

Roku already manufacture a remote control with six coloured 'app' buttons, which could be coded to provide direct access to each one of their services. And make the 'smart' box more user friendly...

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User totally agree the pin is ridiculous in terms of secrecy when you use it. @Tony-D can you move this to ideas?

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why is this still on and why is Now Tv doing nothing about it? I have purchased a fire stick this weekend with the aim to maybe finishing with Now TV...DO SOMETHING BEFORE YOU LOSE CUSTOMERS!!!

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hello,

Is there a function to remove horror movies form appearing in the cinema menus.   I have a nowtv box and when viewing lists of films it is really disconcerting that horror movies appear in the list with their graphic title image.  My children are the predominate users of NowTV.

If there is not a function already -- can I ask that you consider implementing a children safe login or area; or the ability to totally hide via pin or unsubscribe from certain content appearing in the menus.

Kind regards

J

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Perhaps there could be an option to not show included to not show the thumbnail images, either all on or all off.  That way the majority of us won’t be inconvenienced.