cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Top 10 Halloween Movies to watch on NOW TV

For no other reason than it amused me for a couple of minutes (and I miss the Halloween blog posts) here are my top 10 suggested films to watch on NOW TV this Halloween.

1 Halloween - the original and the best
2 Lights Out - short, sweet and definitely freaky
3 Carrie - revenge is red coloured
4 The Witch - dripping with menace, beautiful to look at and nail-bitingly atmospheric
5 The Sixth Sense - you know the ending, now look for the clues
6 Rosemary's Baby - like your horrors full of paranoia and dread, this is the one
7 The Birds - Hitchcock's one and best horror effort, still a masterpiece
8 The Conjuring 2 - based on the Enfield Poltergeist, the most famous paranormal incident in England, and full of jump scares to boot
9 Ouija Origin of Evil - because everyone loves Ouija boards (and it's so much better than the first film)
10 The Monster Squad - because you're too scared to watch any of the other 9

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy

Not much of a horror nut, but must agree about John Carpenters Halloween from 1978 has the best Halloween movie ever made IMO Smiley Happy 

I am more of a Sci - Fi movie fan, where i don't mind a bit of horror thrown into the mix Smiley Happy

Looking at the NowTV Halloween list, the only other movie that i really enjoyed is John Carpenters "The Thing" Smiley Very Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps When it comes to sci-fi horror it doesn't come any more horrific than the Transformers movies, pick any one .... no, seriously, ANY one! 😄

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

I 100% agree! Halloween was and still is a great horror movie. They don't make them like they used to. 

I've seen Hitchcock's The Birds, and you really don't appreciate how terrifying birds can be until you watch this Movie!

I'm suprised Psycho hasn't made this list..... What are your thougts on that @Andy?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Karl-F wrote: 

I'm suprised Psycho hasn't made this list..... What are your thougts on that @Andy?

@Karl-F aha, I did umm and ahh a bit on leaving Psycho out. In the end I think of Psycho as more of a very black comedy with psychological drama, a descent into madness if you like, whereas for me The Birds is an outright journey of horror, so for Halloween I went with The Birds (also my personal favourite Hitch film). That combined with being attacked by a raven as a kid means I do have a genuine dislike of big black birds!

I'm actually a big Hitchcock fanboy tho, the shower scene is without doubt an unforgettable moment in cinema history, particularly in light of the difficulties Hitch had coming up against the censors of the day. I loved the way he dictated how it was to be advertised in cinemas, no late entry, no giving away the ending etc etc. 

Don't know if you like your Hitchcock or not, but I'd recommend giving Frenzy a go as well, for his take on Jack the Ripper style serial killers.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ah I see... that's a fair judgement. 

I do like a good Hitchcock film, was great to study as a Media student. 

I haven't seen Frenzy so I'll give it a watch. My fav has to be Rear Window. Disturbia with Shia Labeouf came close to replicating the same idea but you never beat an original. 

Jason-C
Community Administrator
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Karl-F Rear Window is another favourite of mine, such a simple concept so cleverly done, plus Grace Kelly always looks amazing! Did you know there was also a remake with Christopher Reeve (after the accident which left him paralysed).