cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Cinema = Sky movies is having a shake up..

Sky movies to do a shake up of the service...

Introducing Sky Cinema, the New Home of Sky Movies

From 8 July, we're revolutionising the way you watch movies by launching Sky Cinema – the new home of Sky Movies.

Don't worry, you'll still get all the features of Sky Movies you know and love.
We're just changing our name and adding exciting new improvements to make it even better. All at no extra cost to your current subscription.

So sit back, fire up the popcorn and prepare to experience movies like never before.

Welcome to Sky Cinema

Sky Cinema: what's new?

Spectre

More blockbusters closer to cinema release^

Catch the latest movies before other subscription services.

Find out more >

Minions

A new premiere every day

Wake up to a new movie every day.
From Spectre to Minions, there's something for everyone.

Find out more >

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation

Our biggest line-up of movies on demand*

With over 1,000 movies at your fingertips, watch more than ever before – whenever you want.

Find out more >

Antman

Improved HD and sound for movies on demand**

Enjoy a crisper picture and movies with sound closer to cinema.

Find out more >

All titles shown are available on Sky Cinema this July.

Find out more about Sky Cinema >

SkyUK Dish Box service is having a shake up this will effect NowTV... 

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous User
Not applicable

More blockbusters closer to cinema release^

Major films available 8 months after cinema release and over a year before you can watch them on any other subscription service

So about 4 months to DVD/Sky Store and then another 4 to Sky Cinema

Big Short: Release : January 22, 2016 (United KingdomDVD Release Date: 23 May 2016

Spotlight: Release : January 29, 2016 (United KingdomDVD Release Date: 23 May 2016

Late August would have been exciting if I hadn't already purchased them.  Well, truth is they were free via a Sainsbury's Entertainment offer.

I suppose more interesting will be the response from Amazon Prime (and maybe Netflix).  I wouldn't bet against an Amazom Prime Plus which allows members to stream new releases at a discount or possibly free.  Effectively an enhanced Love Film.  

I suspect the competition will be good news for streamers like me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix has given up on Films a long time ago... They stopped getting in to bidding wars over flims many years ago... and dumped another  film distrobution deal very publicly... last year... Netflix is about TV show creation now not Films...

Amazon Prime allready block films releasing on Sky UK dish... that nothing new and they do get exclusives allready that delay the title from releasing to skyUK dish...

The issue will be if Amazon will be able to still go a head with Adverted funded version of Prime video they had planned to get there service more veiwers... as the hit and running ( one month only usage per year )has got realy bad. and they want to still release in bulk not the weekly release system that reduces hit and running...  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

The issue will be if Amazon will be able to still go ahead with Advert funded version of Prime video they had planned...  

I was reading an article about how Amazon Prime members are responsible for 60% plus of the total spend on Amazon.   They pay the annual fee of £79  and then go on to spend a lot more.  And those who renew are even bigger spenders.   Amazon could offer something at the £99 mark for SD rental of all movies/tv shows which would be equivalent to their Love Film offering.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The issue isn't Amazon, it's that the Studios completely dictate what is and isn't available at any given time, and for what price. That's the reason why whether it's Sky Store, iTunes, Google Play or Blinkbox, they all charge exactly the same for renting new releases. £3.49 in SD, £4.49 in HD. 

Also, for anybody wanting to sign up to LoveFilm now, it's a completely poor option compared to what it is for current subscribers. £7.99 for ONLY 4 discs a month now, no unlimited option. Safe to say we won't be getting anything like an all-you-can-eat new releases service for a long time coming.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

The issue isn't Amazon, it's that the Studios completely dictate what is and isn't available at any given time, and for what price. That's the reason why whether it's Sky Store, iTunes, Google Play or Blinkbox, they all charge exactly the same for renting new releases. £3.49 in SD, £4.49 in HD. 

Also, for anybody wanting to sign up to LoveFilm now, it's a completely poor option compared to what it is for current subscribers. £7.99 for ONLY 4 discs a month now, no unlimited option. Safe to say we won't be getting anything like an all-you-can-eat new releases service for a long time coming.

Amazon give away a lot of digital credit, so the films cost nothing. Sainsburys do much the same and have a rental of the month at £1.99 or 99p.  And google play have a more or less constant 75% off rental  and half price purchase email.  In addition, google play often have free movies to keep.  There is a fair amount of competition and I haven't paid more than a pound for any new movie.

There is a 2 disc at a time option with love film,  but it is not the monthly trial.  You switch to it after a month.  

I suspect that there will be an online love film in the not too distant future. Spotify for movies anyone?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cancelled LoveFilm a while ago thinking I may go back to it later. I won't be now. Amazon have got greedy big time, putting Games behind the prime wall was the last straw for me.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I still have lovefilm but yes Amazon have gotten greedy. Luckily, I still pay £7.99 monthly for unlimited rentals but when I cancel, I will not pay £8.99 for 4 rentals a month if I rejoin.

@Anonymous User I'm pretty sure before Amazon Video was, well Amazon Video, it was LoveFilm streaming (or something similar to that title).

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

I'm pretty sure before Amazon Video was, well Amazon Video, it was LoveFilm streaming (or something similar to that title).

@caseyb1993

You are correct the orginal service was LoveFilm which had both the online streaming service and DVD rental service before Amazon bought out LoveFilm.

I subscribe to both services, 3 number Blu-rays / DVD at any time (£12.99/month) billed under LoveFilm Rental (Amazon) and Amazon Instant Video streamng service (£5.99/month).

Apart from the DVD Rental by Post costs had a big price hike during February, my only other gripe with the LoveFilm service is some of the studios (not all of them) will not allow the latest blockbuster movie rentals to be released to their rental customers the same date that they can be bought from the shops (sometimes certain studios will hold back the rental disc for somewhere around 4 to 6 weeks later).  

BTW before that i was with Blockbuster DVD Rental Postal service (which was excellent imo) before they went bust a few years back.

**Apologise GraphiteGB for going off topic**

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Oh yes, the glorious days of BlockBuster 🙂

Every Friday night, going to rent a movie and/or game with a pick n mix 🙂

I remember the last movie I rented from their store was Monster in Law.

As for LoveFilm, I think the studios want to milk as much money as they can from purchases before letting their movies out to rent. It's understandable really. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂