Legend 3

Re: Recommend a movie on Now TV

[ Edited ]

Great to a see 'When The Lights Went Out' appear on NOW TV.

It's a bit of a forgotten gem, having only a limited cinema release in 2012, and changes of distributors meaning it quickly disappeared from DVD distribution (and caused a bit of a rumpus when it disappeared from the iTunes Store leaving people who purchased the movie with no film and no refund) before reappearing repackaged a year or so later.

Set in 1970s Yorkshire its a loose retelling of the 'Black Monk of Pontefract' real-life haunting, affecting a young girl and her family. The scares are few and predictable, and the plentiful situational humour along with the more than ridiculous ending put this firmly in the 'Poltergeist' rather than 'The Exorcist' territory. But for anyone who grew up in the 70s there's loads of fun to be had watching this film and spotting the pop references (as well as the satellite dishes on the roofs when the shots are too wide). It also benefits greatly from believable performances from the youngsters

As long as you don't take it too seriously it's a solid evening's entertainment with the lights out, and one that has probably passed a lot of people by. It also doesn't outstay its welcome with a running time of 82 minutes.

Occasional Poster

Cant there are no good or up to date films, plenty of kids stuff to watch late at night when kids are in bed,

Occasional Poster

No i cant say there is, plenty of golden oldies,  apart from that nothing worth watching, plenty of kids stuff, at all hours of the night when they are in bed, work that one out

Occasional Poster

All seen it 12 times,  going to cancel my 10 a month really not worth it,  no up to date films plenty of golden oldies and kids stuff,  seen all they got before that is if i wanted to watch it, and its nearly all, 

Elite 4

All of the Disney stuff Smiley Very Happy

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? :-)
Occasional Poster

Edge of Tomorrow, fantastic action/sci-fi movie with Tom Cruise, clever, gripping and occasionally funny, I saw it in the cinema and planning to watch again on NowTV!

Contributor 1

Little miss sunshine
Expert 5

Andy wrote:

Great to a see 'When The Lights Went Out' appear on NOW TV.

It's a bit of a forgotten gem, having only a limited cinema release in 2012, and changes of distributors meaning it quickly disappeared from DVD distribution (and caused a bit of a rumpus when it disappeared from the iTunes Store leaving people who purchased the movie with no film and no refund) before reappearing repackaged a year or so later.

Set in 1970s Yorkshire its a loose retelling of the 'Black Monk of Pontefract' real-life haunting, affecting a young girl and her family. The scares are few and predictable, and the plentiful situational humour along with the more than ridiculous ending put this firmly in the 'Poltergeist' rather than 'The Exorcist' territory. But for anyone who grew up in the 70s there's loads of fun to be had watching this film and spotting the pop references (as well as the satellite dishes on the roofs when the shots are too wide). It also benefits greatly from believable performances from the youngsters

As long as you don't take it too seriously it's a solid evening's entertainment with the lights out, and one that has probably passed a lot of people by. It also doesn't outstay its welcome with a running time of 82 minutes.

@Andy  Shamefully, I only just noticed your post because I don't have a Movies pass right now and don't check the thread often.

This is still available, isn't it?  I'll have to check it out because I LOVED The Enfield Haunting.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Legend 3

@DarylM

It is indeed still on the movies pass!

Obviously I wrote my recommendation before The Enfield Poltergeist, but having watched that now, the tone of that was very similar indeed to When The Lights Went Out ... All those wonderful 70s recreations, the poltergeist activity in suitably creepy style, and the deliberate but light touches of humour throughout. You're basically getting more of the same, but set in Yorkshire.

If you loved The Enfield Poltergeist I'm sure you'll have a good night-in with When The Lights Went Out!
Elite 5

"Cold in July" is worth a watch, really enjoyed this movie.