cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Recommend a movie on Now TV

If there is a movie on Now TV which you feel is worth recommending to other users, please post a reply in this thread.  Or subscribe if you would like to see what users are recommending.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

214 REPLIES 214
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I was looking for films with an alternative take on the end of the world and I found Goodbye World and Aftermath.

I went with Goodbye World.  It's one of those indie movies where a group of friends gather together to discuss their lives and relationships.  Compared to their personal issues with each other, the collapse of civilisation is a bit of a sideshow.

Depending on your taste, this approach will either infuriate or provide a greater sense of realism.  It stars Ben McKenzie (who plays James Gordon in Gotham).

If anyone has seen Aftermath, please let me know if it's any good.  Thanks.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Fans of The West Wing will probably enjoy Knife Fight.  It's a political drama about 3 election races with Rob Lowe managing all 3 campaigns.  There are various dirty tricks involved about what it takes to win and discredit the opponent.  Richard Schiff has a supporting role.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Great to a see 'When The Lights Went Out' appear on NOW TV.

It's a bit of a forgotten gem, having only a limited cinema release in 2012, and changes of distributors meaning it quickly disappeared from DVD distribution (and caused a bit of a rumpus when it disappeared from the iTunes Store leaving people who purchased the movie with no film and no refund) before reappearing repackaged a year or so later.

Set in 1970s Yorkshire its a loose retelling of the 'Black Monk of Pontefract' real-life haunting, affecting a young girl and her family. The scares are few and predictable, and the plentiful situational humour along with the more than ridiculous ending put this firmly in the 'Poltergeist' rather than 'The Exorcist' territory. But for anyone who grew up in the 70s there's loads of fun to be had watching this film and spotting the pop references (as well as the satellite dishes on the roofs when the shots are too wide). It also benefits greatly from believable performances from the youngsters

As long as you don't take it too seriously it's a solid evening's entertainment with the lights out, and one that has probably passed a lot of people by. It also doesn't outstay its welcome with a running time of 82 minutes.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

It's a bit of a forgotten gem, having only a limited cinema release in 2012, and changes of distributors meaning it quickly disappeared from DVD distribution (and caused a bit of a rumpus when it disappeared from the iTunes Store leaving people who purchased the movie with no film and no refund) before reappearing repackaged a year or so later.

Set in 1970s Yorkshire its a loose retelling of the 'Black Monk of Pontefract' real-life haunting, affecting a young girl and her family. The scares are few and predictable, and the plentiful situational humour along with the more than ridiculous ending put this firmly in the 'Poltergeist' rather than 'The Exorcist' territory. But for anyone who grew up in the 70s there's loads of fun to be had watching this film and spotting the pop references (as well as the satellite dishes on the roofs when the shots are too wide). It also benefits greatly from believable performances from the youngsters

As long as you don't take it too seriously it's a solid evening's entertainment with the lights out, and one that has probably passed a lot of people by. It also doesn't outstay its welcome with a running time of 82 minutes.

@Andy  Shamefully, I only just noticed your post because I don't have a Movies pass right now and don't check the thread often.

This is still available, isn't it?  I'll have to check it out because I LOVED The Enfield Haunting.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@DarylM

It is indeed still on the movies pass!

Obviously I wrote my recommendation before The Enfield Poltergeist, but having watched that now, the tone of that was very similar indeed to When The Lights Went Out ... All those wonderful 70s recreations, the poltergeist activity in suitably creepy style, and the deliberate but light touches of humour throughout. You're basically getting more of the same, but set in Yorkshire.

If you loved The Enfield Poltergeist I'm sure you'll have a good night-in with When The Lights Went Out!
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

"Cold in July" is worth a watch, really enjoyed this movie.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@Andy  I finally got myself a Movies Pass and watched this.  Decent little chiller with a fine cast.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM

Glad you enjoyed it, I've seen how much you enjoyed The Enfield Haunting so I'm not surprised you liked When The Lights Went Out in fact I enjoyed the film more than Enfield - Enfield was well done but all the supernatural guff about Maurice's daughter put me off - I can understand why they did it, given that in reality there was no conclusion with just a gradual cessation of events, but still that kind of feel good ending spoilt it for me. Will be interesting to see how TheConjuring tackles the subject next year!

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I really enjoyed Life Partners.  It's an American indie film abot two women whose friendship is tested when one of them meets a guy.

I must admit that these low-key but well-made films which probably never got a cinema release in the UK are my favourite kind of films to watch on a Sunday afternoon at home.

They're a little bit more difficult to seek out now that I can't browse the shelves of Blockbuster.  This is where having trailers on the listings pages of individual films would be useful.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Movies should be offering the latest and greatest,

Some good suggestions but I am also reading old movies, whilst they may be good movies they are movies pretty much many of us have seen therefore no real benefit to people to subscribe.

Now TV needs to keep up with the Market (Both legal and illegal market)
Whilst Now TV cannot offer movies that are on illegal websites, it needs to make those movies available as soon as legally possible.

Whilst ISPs have been instructed to block access to these sites many crop back up with a new IP address / Domain therefore always one step behind, that and Proxy server accesses and VPN to bypass the ISP firewalls

Its supply and demand.
Also websites such as Youtube are offering more and more movies both old and new so this type of service really needs to step up its game if it wishes to survive as a business otherwise risks failing

Only a suggestion and tip otherwise this service may end up as OnDigital did
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Digital