cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV vs Sky Cinema

Hi,

I've been trying to work this out for ages and can never seem to find out. So I have TalkTalk TV and I've had Sky Cinema added for ages. However a while back I noticed that sometimes I am unable to find movies on my Sky Cinema that a friend has on their Now TV Sky Cinema pass? Is this right? Do they both offer a different selection or are both supposed to be identical? I'm trying to work out whether to stick my my Sky Movies on TalkTalk or cancel and get a Now TV pass as my Youview box has a Now TV app.

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Not sure the difference between the Sky movie package from Talk Talk for movies on demand compared to the NowTV App on your Youview box when using a NowTV cinema pass. 

Where I know you can't watch live streamed Sky movies on the Youview box via the NowTV App (on demand movies only). 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't know if this is a big deal breaker for you, where currently movies via the NowTV App on the Youview box is streamed at SD picture quality.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah I see, yeah SD is a deal breaker. Wow I'm surprised in this day and age that they're in SD. I'll stick to Sky Cinema on my TalkTalk Youview box. They stream the live Sky Channels as well as the On Demand too. Currently paying £8 a month too for the next year or so. Mind I don't really tend to watch the live channels anyway but I guess showing in SD is just a big no for me. Thanks for your help.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Might be worth double-checking as I always thought the movies on the TalkTalk Sky Cinema Boost were SD as well.

There is definitely a difference in the on-demand catalogue, with some films missing from TalkTalk due to broadcasting rights on different devices from Sky On-Demand.

If you've never had a free trial of NOW TV Cinema Pass before yu can get a 14 day trial if you want to test it out and/or watch a specific film that's not available via TalkTalk. If you like the service you can get the cost down to £7.50pm by using gift cards.

Whilst NOW TV on YouView is SD, the advantage of NOW TV over TalkTalk is you can have up to four different devices registered to your account to watch your pass on, and the other TV-connected devices such as games consoles, Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, NOW TV boxes all stream in 720p.

Have a look at the following list of supported devices as you might find you already have something that you can watch entertainment on. If not, a NOW TV box or the soon to be released NOW TV Smart Stick is probably your cheapest option.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Supported-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for that info. I've already tried the 14 day but didn't really use it much, I'm not sure if TalkTalk's boost is HD and can't seem to find that anywhere. If it is SD then it's pretty good as I've never really noticed. I'd probably only watch Now TV on the Youview box, I do have PS4 and Xbox One so maybe on those now and then. Oh and that makes sense about the Youview license for films, that'll be why the on demand library is a bit different. I'll have to decide which one I'm going with as if I cancel my boost I'll lose my half price offer with TalkTalk. After my contract is up I may look at going fully with Now TV though.