cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Movies - picture quality

I've been watching Movies for a couple of months via NOW TV and have to say the picture quality has never looked anything better than SD. I understand that watching 'Live' Movies will only stream in SD, but when I select a Movie from the catalogue they appear to be in SD too.  I have streamed in 720p from other sources / devices, so can tell the difference and these look infinitely better than anything I have seen on NOW TV. My (pathetic) broadband connection is capable of streaming 720p (though would struggle to stream 1080) - I have approx 3 - 3.5 mbps Sky Broadband.

Is there anyway to check the quality I am streaming Movies in NowTV, or tell if it is being restricted in some way?

10 REPLIES 10
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've been watching Movies for a couple of months via NOW TV and have to say the picture quality has never looked anything better than SD. I understand that watching 'Live' Movies will only stream in SD, but when I select a Movie from the catalogue they appear to be in SD too.  I have streamed in 720p from other sources / devices, so can tell the difference and these look infinitely better than anything I have seen on NOW TV. My (pathetic) broadband connection is capable of streaming 720p (though would struggle to stream 1080) - I have approx 3 - 3.5 mbps Sky Broadband.

Is there anyway to check the quality I am streaming Movies in NowTV, or tell if it is being restricted in some way?

Hi @Anonymous User

The OnDemand movies are 720p, but the minimum required connection speed for 720p is 3.1 Mbps because you are either right on the edge of that bar can only just achieve it. The system may be deciding not to give you 720p, thereby making sure that you are always able to stream. If your connection, sometimes unstable, for example do you suffer from high ping times of packet loss? Either of these issues may affect the systems ability to calculate/determine the correct bit rate for your connection.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

The 'live' movie streaming service offers a maximum 'stream quality' of 2500. What are you obtaining?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

By the way, how would I know what my stream quality is?

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Certain devices mainly the

• LG (Big-screen devices)
  • PS3
  • PS4

have the bit rate indicator and will show you the current bit rate of the stream you're watching. You are able to say the bit rate by bringing up the play controls when watching content by pressing okay on LG device remotes and by pressing X on PlayStation.

This is a feature that I would like to see introduced other devices as it can be good the troubleshooting purposes that sadly it's not available on all devices and I'm very surprised it's not available on the now TV box or Roku yet. Can someone pass that on to the relevant team?

What device are you using? As mobile devices (phones and tablets) . Silverlight on PC and Youview are restricted to SD 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

By the way, how would I know what my stream quality is?

Which make and model of Now TV playback device do you have?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have to agree that the picture quality is poor, I can get 720 but it certainly doesn't appear to have the bandwidth of other providers and the fact it has no surround sound I can't forgive.

Apart from having newer movies i cant see any benefits of the Now tv service.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have to agree that the picture quality is poor, I can get 720 but it certainly doesn't appear to have the bandwidth of other providers and the fact it has no surround sound I can't forgive.

Out of interest... Which make and model of Now TV playback device do you have?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the latest now tv box, not sure of its number, and I also used Now tv via the latest Apple TV.

It's not the box, it is the poor quality stream used by Now TV that is the issue. I fully understand that it is a cut price Sky movies service and lets be honest why would you pay circa £20/month for a 12 month Sky movies package when you can get the now tv package for £10/ month with no commitment if the quality was the same.

My original post was the poor nature of the picture and sound for the benefit of anyone thinking on trying Now TV. If neither bother you and you are watching it on a small TV then the quality isn't and issue. I personally was watching it on a projector in a dedicated home cinema and it quite simply isn't good enough quality

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for posting, thank you for the feedback. Sorry that you feel the quality isn't great. We can appreciate it isn't 1080p but the box isn't designed to be projected onto a big screen home cinema set up.

We hope you can come back if you're willing to watch on a 50" TV 😉

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team