cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Free cinema 14 day trial - but showing up as a £9.99 charge in my payments

I just clicked through from an email offering me a 14 day free trial of the cinema pass. The email has many, many buttons that say 'Start 14 day free trial'. In my account it still seemed to indicate I would get a free trial. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I didn't spot anything saying 'oh, you can't have this, we're going to charge you', but when I checked my payments, it looks like I've been charged £9.99 for a monthly pass, and that it will renew in 1 month's time.

How do I cancel this completely and make sure I have not been charged any money?

58 REPLIES 58
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Taylor.

Thanks.

I have sent a secure message and will wait to see what they say.

The worst they can say is "no" I suppose.

BB.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here. Not happy with this at all, I've emailed as well because they have taken money from me which I haven't authorised. I didn't see anywhere in the process saying I've already used a pass so I'll be charged also why did they send me a free pass if they know I've already used one ! Surely they're able to see that the account isn't eligible so they dont send a voucher. At the end of the process it even said well done on your free trial you'll be charged full amount on the 10th Jan.

Previous communications with Now TV support have been very good so we'll see what happens. But its a bit bad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've also been 'stung' by this.  Really annoyed.  Spoken to someone on chat and they insisted we will be refunded soon once the investigation is over.

I know it's our fault in not reading the terms and conditions properly - but the email should not have been sent to us.  My movies pass ended the week before so I presumed it was an incentive to try and get me back...

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

With respect you've been a registered member long enough to know how NOW TV billing system works... 

And just-so 'all' NOW TV customers know. Currently...

• All monthly NOW TV subscription(s) run for their full duration, even if they are cancelled after the first day.
  • All monthly NOW TV subscription(s) 'roll on' automatically if they're not cancelled prior to any 'free trial', 'retention offer', 'voucher pass' or 'monthly' subscription expiring!
  • If your preference is to use 'voucher code passes', you'll need to submit your new pass before your current pass expires
  • 'Free trial' subscribers are notified by email that they will be charged unless they cancel their subscription(s) prior to their 'free trial' ending. So keep a look-out, including your spam/junk mail!
  • While the NOW TV accounts system is attempting to collect payment(s) the grey coloured 'Canel' button will not be accessible.
  • While the NOW TV accounts system is attempting to collect payment(s) the 'Apply voucher' button will not be accessible.
  • New NOW TV voucher code passes can be added within the last month of your current NOW TV services expiry date. The new pass will commence only after your existing pass expires. So you don't lose-out on any days.
  • Setting up a payment PIN on your NOW TV account is advised. As it will be prevent others from purchasing additional NOW TV services without your consent!
  • Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the NOW TV subscriber to manage their NOW TV account!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SeeMoreDigital

With respect what are you referring to?  You're right that I know how NowTV billing works...

My movies pass had 'run out' or cancelled if you like the week prior.  Then I receive an email stating 'ho ho ho' free 14 days of movies.  I presumed it was a marketing tool to try and get me back.  

I click the button on my email and it brings up a screen mentioning the trial.  I click on something like 'apply offer' and it's only after that a screen comes up saying I've paid £9.99 etc.  there was no mention of the £9.99 until after clicking the apply offer button.

This is not how NowTV works - it's clearly an error on their part hence why so many of us on here are moaning.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too received one of these emails for the 14 day free cinema pass, luckily i am wise to these stupid emails from NowTV and checked the small print which stated new customers only. But it is not made obvious and is worded in a way that does make it sound like an incentive to come back.

Ho ho ho...here's a gift from us

Open up your Christmas premieres...

...with 14 days of Sky Cinema, on us

Plump up your sofa and get ready for four of our biggest premieres of the year.

Just grab 14 days of Sky Cinema, on us, and tuck into the feast of movies below. You'll also get access to:

A new premiere every day
Over 1000 movies on demand
11 Live Sky Cinema channels

Go on then, what are you waiting for?

If these emails are intended for new customers then why are existing customers being sent them? It is very missleading and doesnt reflect well on NowTV's image, and may even be a case for trading standards.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to test, i clicked the link in the email for this offer.  I know im not entitled to it as im not a new customer, but the page shown would make you believe you can get this free trial offer, you can see why people are being caught out by this.

Capture.PNG

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Oh dear, I see what you mean now. That's not good. And I apologise to @Anonymous User...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Oh dear, I see what you mean now. That's not good. And I apologise to @Anonymous User...

You can understand the frustration of everyone now I hope. The screenshot that @Anonymous User posted is as I remember it. I also don't remember seeing any button that said 'Pay now' or anything like that. I agree that if an offer is only for new customers then existing customers should not be able to take advantage of it. However, all I saw was a generous offer of a free two weeks to tempt me back to paying for movies in the future. It's Christmas, I thought, it would be great to have the option to watch a few movies since we have some time off. Maybe I'll cancel after the two weeks, maybe I won't. Maybe, like the entertainment pass I still had, I would forget to cancel it and pay for a month I didn't want.

At no point did it look like the offer wasn't intended for me, or that I would be charged immediately. If I can't get a refund I'll close my account and I hope other affected members will do the same.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Simon-J can you look into this? It seems several folk have mistakenly been given the impression that they can have free trial when they have previously had one. I think that there has been miscommunication.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.