Scholar 5

Re: 5.1 Sound and 1080p

@Irf7

Well Irf

1) Maybe the capitalisation of your handle indicated some unhappiness with you at the time but I was not aware of it at the time of actual writing, it was probably an unconscious thing.

2) I admire your passion for your cause and your willingness to stick with it no matter what.

3) I guess the problem I have with your post is when you ascribe your passion to the majority of Now TV customers, that to me is stretching the truth just a little too much.

I came to this forum to get away from political-type exaggerations and spin doctoring, there's too much of that nonsense in the world already.

So please, continue your campaign, which you have a right to do, but remain on point and, above all, remain truthful. 

Peace.

UK Bob

Contributor 1

[ Edited ]

Yo, UK Bob, ta for your response.

You suggest that my campaigning is perhaps riddled with ‘spin’ and ‘exaggerations’ pertaining to what I perceive to be the wanton desire for 5:1 Dolby Digital sound and 1080p HD picture to be rolled out on Now TV’s Sky Cinema output; yet this is a pre-existing movement that outdates even me. The intrepid Now TV pioneer AdamJohn started this thread back in January, and countless others entered the fray to echo his sentiments, that the withholding of such technical features is baseless.

Mate, I am a newcomer to this campaign. Yet one just has to read through past comments of Now TV clients abjectly disheartened at having invested in myriad modern entertainment tech, only to be confronted with Now TV’s incomprehensible suppression of features that by now ought to be standard fare. We’re not asking for the world here. This thread clearly demonstrates an unmet need, son. To deny that is kind of disingenuous.

You are likely to claim that our collective passion is still a minority pursuit, as the majority of Now TV subscribers are content with the plenitude of material and easy about the mediocrity of technical quality. But don’t be so complacent, my brother. Now TV is offering movies that are all pretty much available to view free of charge on sites like ******** and in comparable quality. Now TV’s staunch passivity to such realities is alarming to me. You’re dealing with a generation that has few ethical qualms with illegal streaming, and Now TV has to be made aware of this. It needs to better its services and stop taking things for granted. It needs to differentiate itself by enhancing its streaming capabilities because its current trajectory will only see it so far.

We are having a cracking debate here, UK Bob. Now TV is lucky to have us. I reckon they may even do a Frost/ Nixon-type movie adaptation of our back and forth exchanges. Let’s keep it up until Now TV sees the light and recognises the error of its ways.

Scholar 5

@Irf7

Hi again Irf

You know, as I sip my beer and listen to my music, I can't help but admire your passion for this subject and, I must admit, I had a little laugh after reading your latest post.  As long as we do not let passion overflow into anger and mud slinging then I'm still with it.

OK, I think the reason why we have such a difference of opinion is simply because we are looking at things from our own personal perspectives which at this point are diametrically opposed (sorry, I think that's the beer talking).

Anyway, I believe that Sky/Now TV will upgrade their systems to include 1080p 5.1/7.1 surround sound when their marketing consultants tell them it's a viable (sub) sector to invest in. And Roku can design and make a new "next generation" box at a price point that Now TV customers will be happy with (mind you, it would make sense that such a "next generation" box with all the bells and whistles would already be on Roku's drawing board).

At the moment, (as I'm having another beer and bopping to my music) I am happy with  my little black box because it has allowed me to have facilities a few years ago would have been considered "pie-in-the sky".  This, I believe, is not settling for mediocrity but utilising your equipment for maximum (personal) benefit. You see, I've stopped chasing after the "next greatest thing" some time ago,  that race you can never get ahead of.  I would much rather all the possible facilities on the black box were activated, such as the USB and micro SD ports, before lookingt for something else. For me, those ports have possible facilities that can be immediately used, e.g recording programs for later playback, playing programs and music from portable media, etc. those are readily achievable goals for most Now TV customers.

Technology will always move on and I'm sure 1080p 5.1/7.1 will arrive but just not yet.

I hope what I've written is not too beer soaked.

UK Bob

PS. Irf,  you know it's not a good idea to mention pirate web-sites, you might upset some of the forum moderators.

Elite 3

@ukbobboy regarding illegal sites. Folk take a risk using them that files won't be preloaded with viruses.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor not staff so cannot help you with account matters I can just attempt to point you in the right direction.

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Us...

Devices I am currently using for Now: Android app on Moto E, Chromecast, LG TV, Smart box.
Scholar 5

@4268

Hi 4268

I agree with you but I believe mentioning pirate sites is one of the four subjects that should never be discussed, or even broached, in this forum, i.e. the other three are politics, religion and sex.

UK Bob

IP1
Occasional Poster

[ Edited ]

A product which states that it has Dolby Digital+ and DTS output but has no mention on the packaging or advertising that nothing is available to view with that audio could be considered downright dishonest. Especially considering Dolby Digital 5.1 is available and being broadcast on Freeview!! Needless to say this is one customer that Now TV has lost and who will be taking the box back straight away for a refund. And will also never touch anything Sky again.

Elite 5

[ Edited ]

IP1 wrote:

A product which states that it has Dolby Digital+ and DTS output but has no mention on the packaging or advertising that nothing is available to view with that audio is downright dishonest....

Hi @IP1,

The output capabilities of any hardware playback device does not mean that's what the NOW TV service offers too!

All 'smart' TV's support Dolby Digital Plus and some even support DTS but none of the UK TV broadcasters offer these flavour of audio!

By-the-way... Freesat offers 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. Freeview offers 5.1 channel AAC-HE audio (which is transcoded by your TV to Dolby Digital). And you'll find that ITV HD only offers 2 channel audio, regardless...

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you!

NOW TV Box = Model no: Smart box | Software: 7.0 Build: 4221 | NOW TV app: 3.8.71 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.15.3 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

IP1
Occasional Poster

Hi SeeMoreDigital

Dolby Digital 5.1 has often been available on Freeview films if a digital output is taken from a set top box to an AV receiver or decoder.

Scholar 5

@SeeMoreDigital @IP1

Hi SMD

I guess IP is one of those guys that has bought a giant beast but did not work out how he was going to feed it, then blames everyone else because there is no appropriate "food" available.

UK Bob

IP1
Occasional Poster

Thanks for reminding me UK Bob :-)