NOW TV Essential Planned Works 27/04/2017 Affecting Broadband Click here for more info
Contributor 3

Re: 5.1 Sound and 1080p

[ Edited ]

People have been pleading for higher quality encodes for the last 4 years.. yes, 4 years. Apparently that either isn't enough time to put higher bitrate encodes into place, or they literally have no interest in increasing the quality of their offering. I'd be happy to pay extra as well, so it isn't like Now Tv don't have an incentive either. 

Champion 1

xsmackosx wrote:

Apparently that either isn't enough time to put higher bitrate encodes into place, or they literally have no interest in increasing the quality of their offering....

I disagree. The 'bit-rate' (stream quality) of the on-demand movie service has steadily increased this year alone. Indeed it's currently over 4400kbps for the newly added movies. And as such the visual quality has improved.

The Martian looks great on my 65" LG television using its in-built NOW TV app.

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Contributor 1

It's simple.... Because they only care about money... Worse quality means more money for them.. I've said it many times that this service is a complete rip off, the picture definitely is not HD it's SD and the no DD5.1 is absolutely ridiculous... If you watch on a TV you won't really notice but I like to watch in surround sound and no DD5.1 just makes the movies sound bad and less enjoyable... The audio is just terrible everything sounds squashed.

A lot of people on this thread are saying movies on TV aren't in 5.1 which is just not true... ITV yes.. All the others are nearly always in DD5.1... I use a TiVo box and can always choose the audio track which is either stero or DD5.1... Even a lot of TV shows are as well.

Same goes for Netflix and Amazon... Netflix pretty much everything is 5.1... Amazon a lot is 5.1

Now TV is twice the price of the competition and offers quality from a decade ago.... You can get better quality for free
Champion 1

AG1986 wrote:
...I've said it many times that this service is a complete rip off, the picture definitely is not HD it's SD...

And you've been asked 'many times' to confirm which device you are using. Because the 'on-demand' movie service is currently 720p. Which is HD.

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Contributor 1

I've been asked many times? Errrm no. I use the PS4 PS3 and 4K Sony Bravia... If you think that's good HD quality you need to go spec savers.. That is not 720p! I have some of the same movies on Blu Ray which I set to 720p and they look much much better. TBH I'm not mega fussed about the picture it's the awful audio that puts me right off...
Contributor 1

I don't understand why we still do not have 5.1 audio.

I've come to accept that we won't get 1080p but it isn't the 90's and Stereo doesn't get anyone excited anymore.

I'm sure the Sky Player App I used years ago was 1080p with 5.1 streams though.  NOWtv is basiaclly the same thing, so why is it so inferior?

Contributor 2

It s actually a real travesty that Now TV Cinema isn't streaming in Dolby Digital 5:1 sound, especially when one considers that that exact sound source is avalible on Sky Cinema via the HD box.

Comperable streaming competitor services already provide Dolby 5:1 on modern blockbuster aquisitons, yet Now TV remains reluctant to do so. This is unacceptable and indicative of a second class service with A-list content. Heck, we're shifting into the soundscape of Dolby Atmos on movies, but try telling that to Now TV.

Now TV's technical profile is embarrassing and needs serious upgrades. Upgrading its content to better HD quality picture and 5:1 sound is actually tecnically very straightforward (trust me on this), and Now TV not doing so is more of a business decision.

Fellow consumers, revolt!

Contributor 2

Fellas, forward this message via e-mail to Now TV:

Dear Now TV,

I subscribe to your Cinema service via an app on my [model/ make] television.

As marvellous as your film catalogue is, the actuality that Now TV is not offering Dolby Digital sound on applicable movies, and doesn't stream in 1080p HD picture, makes me very disappointed in your service priorities.

Your competitors are leagues ahead of you on both these fronts, which makes me question why Now TV has such a lackadaisical approach to elevating its technical profile. You have positioned yourselves as the home of quality cinema, yet your shortfalls will ire filmmakers who want their films shown in the best possible print and sound available: as it is meant to be. It is important to them and important to me as film buff that you rectify your low standards. You need to seriously get on top of this. You owe it to us and yourselves. We both love cinema.

Right now, Now TV Cinema is a second class service with A-list content. Surely that must embarrass you as a provider of valuable content.

You can do better. You must do better.

Best wishes,
[Your Name]

Elite 5

SeeMoreDigital wrote:

xsmackosx wrote:

Apparently that either isn't enough time to put higher bitrate encodes into place, or they literally have no interest in increasing the quality of their offering....

I disagree. The 'bit-rate' (stream quality) of the on-demand movie service has steadily increased this year alone. Indeed it's currently over 4400kbps for the newly added movies. And as such the visual quality has improved.

@SeeMoreDigital 4.865Mbps to be exact (4865Kbps) Smiley Wink  At least according to the stream quality indicator on my LG TV anyway.

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution. Thanks

Click here to go to nowTVs main YouTube channel
Click here to go to the nowTV help YouTube channel
Champion 1

commanda6 wrote:

@SeeMoreDigital 4.865Mbps to be exact (4865Kbps) Smiley Wink  At least according to the stream quality indicator on my LG TV anyway.

Yep, the images via the NOW TV 'on-demand' movie service look very clean now. Better than Wuaki.tv (Rakuten) and TalkTalk TV (Blinkbox) services Smiley Wink