NOW TV Essential Planned Works 27/04/2017 Affecting Broadband Click here for more info
Elite 5

Re: 5.1 Sound and 1080p

[ Edited ]

Acheron wrote:

The ONLY way to get 5.1 sound through NOW TV presently is to watch the service via an XBOX - as long as it's rigged to an amp and the output set to 5.1.

Watching NOW TV via the NOW TV box gives only 2.0 sound.

Hi @Acheron

Actually that is incorrect. NowTV does not provide 5.1 audio on any device Smiley Sad

When you set an Xbox one to use audio out, either via optical or HDMI. You can either choose between Dolby Digital or DTS, but that does not necessarily mean that 5.1 audio is being output. There is a stereo variant of Dolby Digital at best an Xbox one would be transcoding the audio feed to suit the audio settings that have been selected. But as all of NowTV's sources are stereo and not 5.1. 5.1 output is by definition impossible.

It's true that surroundsound can sometimes be simulated when using some devices with an AV receiver by using Dolby pro Logic, however, due to the way an Xbox one handle sound, it does not allow you to do this. The device you're using to play the content has to allow your AV receiver to have significant control over the way audio is output in order for Dolby pro Logic to be used on Xbox one does not give AV receivers that control. It's worth noting that when surroundsound is simulated using Dolby pro Logic it's nowhere near as good as real 5.1 audio.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Subtitles

The help article link above will confirm that now TV does not support 5.1 audio on any device.

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution. Thanks

Click here to go to nowTVs main YouTube channel
Click here to go to the nowTV help YouTube channel
Occasional Poster

My AMP, when connected to the NOW TV box, shows Dolby Digital / PCM in 2.0.

When I connect the XBOX and it starts streaming NOW TV content, it shows Dolby Digital 5.1 / 3.2.

The sound coming out is definitely Dolby Digital 5.1 surround because the two rear speakers have separate signals. It most certainly is not Dolby Pro-Logic.

Elite 5

[ Edited ]

Acheron wrote:

When I connect the XBOX and it starts streaming NOW TV content, it shows Dolby Digital 5.1 / 3.2.

The sound coming out is definitely Dolby Digital 5.1 surround because the two rear speakers have separate signals. It most certainly is not Dolby Pro-Logic.

Hi @Acheron

It would be normal for your AV receiver to show that when you're using now TV on Xbox. just because it's showing that it does not actually mean it actually doing it. I would actually recommend you don't trust the display on on the front of your AV receiver when you're using your Xbox because the AV receiver can only allow what your Xbox allows it to show it doesn't have any real control over the audio. It is your Xbox that has control the AV receiver just outputs the audio feed nothing more. For example when I'm screaming BBC iPlayer on my Xbox one and have audio output set to DTS my AV receiver will still show that DTS 5.1 audio is being output despite the fact that BBC iPlayer is definitely not DTS 5.1 and iPlayer uses stereo sources just like NowTV.

Just to clarify, when you say Xbox. I knew using an Xbox one or Xbox 360 because what I have been advising is based on how Xbox one handles audio

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution. Thanks

Occasional Poster

I'm using an XBOX 360.

If I played something from the XBOX that is in 2.0 sound, the display on my AMP changes dynamically to reflect that. If I then play something in 5.1 sound, the AMP changes to reflect that also.

Also, I can tell the difference between the two sound outputs. One is flat and only coming out of the front two speakers. The rest is full-on 5.1.

Champion 1

Acheron wrote:

I'm using an XBOX 360.

If I played something from the XBOX that is in 2.0 sound, the display on my AMP changes dynamically to reflect that. If I then play something in 5.1 sound, the AMP changes to reflect that also.

Also, I can tell the difference between the two sound outputs. One is flat and only coming out of the front two speakers. The rest is full-on 5.1.

Hi @Acheron,

It sounds like your Xbox is performing some 'on-the-fly' 2Ch PCM -to- Dolby Digital 'audio transcoding'. I can do much the same with some of my gear! 

Cheers

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Occasional Poster

I don't believe it is. My XBOX is capable of putting out Dolby Digital
signals dependent on the source material.
Expert 2

Prologic 2 creates seperate Rear channels from AAC 2.0... Prologic 1 creates 1 rear channel split to both rear speacker... 

All consoles can TRANSCODE... AAC to DDPL2 for optical Dolby Digital from AAC 2.0  

I Do not work for SkyUK or NowTV...

As I No longer live in the UK, I no longer run the NowTv boxes... So am an Ex Community Contributor user

SIEE Beta Tester since PS2. Rejected PSP and VITA day one...

Currently own and run these devices PS3, PS4, Chromecast, Sky+HD box, Quad OS boot HP Laptop, Amazon Fire tablet and TV box
Elite 5

@GraphiteGB Hi 

I believe you're half right where the Xbox one is concerned, based on what I've seen, (I have an Xbox one) it does appear that it can transcode AAC to Dolby Digital, but it does not allow surroundsound to be simulated, using Dolby pro Logic which means if you're dealing with stereo source you were only get Dolby stereo as of course there is a stereo variant of Dolby Digital.

Expert 2

commanda6 wrote:

@GraphiteGB Hi 

I believe you're half right where the Xbox one is concerned, based on what I've seen, (I have an Xbox one) it does appear that it can transcode AAC to Dolby Digital, but it does not allow surroundsound to be simulated, using Dolby pro Logic which means if you're dealing with stereo source you were only get Dolby stereo as of course there is a stereo variant of Dolby Digital.

They won't do it via HDMI. I know that as DD is Lower quality than PCM... So the consoles leave the AAC in PCM 2.0 with PLII mix coding... and wont downgrade the audio...

Ok...

I Do not work for SkyUK or NowTV...

As I No longer live in the UK, I no longer run the NowTv boxes... So am an Ex Community Contributor user

SIEE Beta Tester since PS2. Rejected PSP and VITA day one...

Currently own and run these devices PS3, PS4, Chromecast, Sky+HD box, Quad OS boot HP Laptop, Amazon Fire tablet and TV box
Occasional Poster

[ Edited ]

Just keep watching here, in time we should at least see 1080i and then who knows 4K ? 😊

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality