cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 Audio output ??

Hi there ....

Having had a lengthy 'web chat' with one of The NOW help persons, they assured me that the Black Now box should output a 5.1 Dolby signal .... Which I was failing to get, so .... After several hours of fiddling with settings on both my AV amp & resetting the Now box a couple of times, I'm still not convinced a 5.1 output is happening.

Within the settings/audio menu I've tried both the 'auto detect' ..... Which did as it said & recognised the HDMI could carry DD and DTS .... And also manually set the audio at DD (along with all the other settings) but alas all that is being fed from the Now box appears to be stereo.

Has anyone out there managed to configure a 5.1 output & inform if I'm missing something really simple & stupid !

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

NOW TV only supply stereo audio.  Hopefully 5.1 is something on their list for the future, especially moviesSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Hi Guys

@Anonymous User, you said "....Now TV ought to offer an upgraded package for those wanting and even willing to shell out a few bob more for 1080p HD and 5:1 Dolby sound...".  Well, if you guys want NowTV to start a two tier system, i.e. one with extra features, facilities, etc., and the other stay as normal, then put that suggestion in the Ideas Section and see how much support from the forum membership is actually out there.

You know, I, for one, would support that idea as long as my current package remains untouched, those who want to pay extra, providing there is enough support for it, should be allowed to do so.  

However, I hope you guys realise that for NowTV to make the "two tier system" happen will require a substantial investment and as long as you guys are prepared to shoulder some of that investment, and not have it spread amongst the wider customer user base that don't want the extras, then I too would be on board.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Hi Guys

@Anonymous User, you said "....Now TV ought to offer an upgraded package for those wanting and even willing to shell out a few bob more for 1080p HD and 5:1 Dolby sound...".  Well, if you guys want NowTV to start a two tier system, i.e. one with extra features, facilities, etc., and the other stay as normal, then put that suggestion in the Ideas Section and see how much support from the forum membership is actually out there.

You know, I, for one, would support that idea as long as my current package remains untouched, those who want to pay extra, providing there is enough support for it, should be allowed to do so.  

However, I hope you guys realise that for NowTV to make the "two tier system" happen will require a substantial investment and as long as you guys are prepared to shoulder some of that investment, and not have it spread amongst the wider customer user base that don't want the extras, then I too would be on board.

UK Bob

Playing extra for HD video and 5.1 audio is a silly idea, given that the standard Netflix subscription is already 1080p with 5.1 audio. Amazon go one better and have 4K video for no extra fee. Netflix 4k does cost a couple of quid extra per month, but it's still vastly better value than Now TV. 

Now TV is simply a poor product with very substandard video and audio and weak apps. It survives purely through its smattering of exclusive content, chiefly HBO shows.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User not sure I agree re content... Of course if you limit yourself to on demand content is more limited. However, Now includes live TV which neither Netflix or Amazon do. 

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:

@Anonymous User not sure I agree re content... Of course if you limit yourself to on demand content is more limited. However, Now includes live TV which neither Netflix or Amazon do. 

Hi @Anonymous User

I agree with @4268 on the content front. Sometimes I think the other thing that people forget is that not only do NowTV provide live TV channels, but they also provide catch up for current TV seasons, which is again something which Netflix or Amazon do not do. It often takes a year or two for seasons to appear on Netflix or Amazon so that you can watch them. As a general rule, the newer content is the more expensive it is.

You say NowTV has week apps. I have to disagree with you on this point on most devices. NowTV's general user interface is far better than anything Netflix or Amazon have come up with. The Netflix interface in particular is bad in my opinion. The vast majority of Netflix interface is based on suggestions which I determined by your viewing habits, which means unless you use Netflix a lot. The interface is useless to you and even if you filter by content category. The content seems to be listed in a completely random order, which makes things more difficult to find.

The one point where I do perhaps agree with you is that the fact that 1080p isn't available is starting to become an issue, though some people, particularly as older TVs can't upscale very well. Some can't upscale at all. I don't think the lack of 5.1 audio is necessarily an issue because you only get any real benefit from five point audio and certain types of content , mainly action and horror outside of that there is very little benefit to having 5.1 audio. 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

@4268 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

I agree with @4268 on the content front. Sometimes I think the other thing that people forget is that not only do NowTV provide live TV channels, but they also provide catch up for current TV seasons, which is again something which Netflix or Amazon do not do. It often takes a year or two for seasons to appear on Netflix or Amazon so that you can watch them. As a general rule, the newer content is the more expensive it is.

You say NowTV has week apps. I have to disagree with you on this point on most devices. NowTV's general user interface is far better than anything Netflix or Amazon have come up with. The Netflix interface in particular is bad in my opinion. The vast majority of Netflix interface is based on suggestions which I determined by your viewing habits, which means unless you use Netflix a lot. The interface is useless to you and even if you filter by content category. The content seems to be listed in a completely random order, which makes things more difficult to find.

The one point where I do perhaps agree with you is that the fact that 1080p isn't available is starting to become an issue, though some people, particularly as older TVs can't upscale very well. Some can't upscale at all. I don't think the lack of 5.1 audio is necessarily an issue because you only get any real benefit from five point audio and certain types of content , mainly action and horror outside of that there is very little benefit to having 5.1 audio. 

I'm not sure that live TV is relevant to many people anymore. It's also an odd thing for a streaming service to have, to be frank. Streaming is all about being able to stream whatever you want. whenever you want. Hence Netflix releasing entire series of new shows all at once. The notion is waiting for a new episode to air each week is incredibly antiquated, and won't last much longer.

As for 5.1, I couldn't disagree with you more. Sound is half the experience, so when you take away most of the sound channels the effect is hugely diminished. Moreover 5.1 or higher has been standard for decades now.  I get surround sound from every source I use - Netflix, Amazon, Blu-Ray, and PS4 games. Now TV sits with BBC iPlayer as services which are technically many years behind the competition. The BBC at least have an excuse in that they're perpetually short of money. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi there command, I can not find your reply saying that you do not hink 5.1 is an issue (I received it in an email)...I never use the speakers on my TV and have never done for years... I have spent as much as I Can afford on a surround sound set up..and it is a better than average honme cinema set up...so if I do niot have the ption to hear it that way it is a great disappointment...TBH I know what I am missing as it sounds great to have the sounds behond you and hear things a certain way...I wouldn;t have it any other way...so for me, the fact that NOWTV does not have 5.1 audio sure is an issue for me. In fact it is annoying in this day in age, I am reduced to stereo sound when I have all these speakers all around me...I love multi channel audio..I liseten to multi channel super audio CD's still and DVD audio discs with 5.1 audio and of course the HD master audio I get from my blu rays...which is...PHENOMINAL...so to have access to a list of films and they are all only available in stereo..sure is a pretty big issue to me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

Re: "...for NowTV to make the "two tier system" happen will require a substantial investment and as long as you guys are prepared to shoulder some of that investment, and not have it spread amongst the wider customer user base..."

Nah, baby, we're in this together. Profits and loss. Sky has overpaid for exclusive football and film rights, which has incurred greater subscription fees for all of its subscribers regardless of whether they watch sports or films or not. The only way to claw back that money is to hit us all, hence why their customer base has plummeted 18%. The consumer is king, love.

As I said, I'll be surprised if Now TV even exists this time next year, as Sky is going totally online with its content soon anyway. It will be both a satellite and internet/ streaming TV service.

The change is coming, bruv. There is no stopping it.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

You said, "...I'll be surprised if Now TV even exists this time next year, as Sky is going totally online...".  Well 'ol buddy, if that is the case then I'll be long gone by then because I have no intention of becoming a Sky customer.

You know, change is part and parcel of the tech world, but I'm hoping that NowTV will remains relevant to it's customer base and continue delivering what customers really want and not go off into "flights of fancy". 

@commanda6 said, "I don't think the lack of 5.1 audio is necessarily an issue because you only get any real benefit from five point audio and certain types of content , mainly action and horror outside of that there is very little benefit to having 5.1 audio."  And I totally agree with him because I think you guys have over played the point about this clamour for better sound and visuals, etc. Simply because there are a lot of NowTV users who do not have the latest TV sets and do not care for 5.1 surround sound.

However, If you want these facilities and are prepared to pay extra for them then you should have them, just as long as these extras can be voluntarily chosen and the extra cost of having them not foisted on the rest of us.

UK Bob

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Anonymous User

And @ukbobboy@commanda6@4268@Anonymous User

Glad to see you're still here, championing the cause!

We've no further news to share on this, but I thought I'd drop by anyway - we've still been feeding this back to whoever we can. 🙂

@Anonymous User I did want to ask where you're getting your stats of an 18% decrease in Sky's customer base and/or market share? This isn't presented anywhere (that I can see) and doesn't match the results on the last quarter.

They did report that operating profit was down £65 million this year versus last year (to "only" £679 million.) But as you point out, Sky paid £314 million for the Premier League in that timeframe, so this still seems pretty strong?

On topic, I wanted to say that NOW TV are still very passionate about the quality of experience. We've been working hard to reduce overall buffering and increase everyone's picture quality, without the need to increase bitrates or maximum resolution. This ensures a better and more consistent experience for all, so we'll have happier customers across the board. A lot of this is backend stuff so you likely won't see any press releases about it, but we're very pleased with the work we've done so far.

If and when we have news about things like surround sound or Full HD, you'll be among the first to know!

As to whether we'll still be here in a year's time, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I know where my money would be, but I may be somewhat biased. 😄

Thanks,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Jason-C

What up, Jason-C! One positively loves it when you post to our comments. It's like the ambassador venturing down from Now TV HQ, appeasing us commoners to calm down and not get ahead of ourselves by demanding luxuries like 1080p HD and Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound. There's something very gentlemanly about the way you do it, bruv. That takes real skill.

Yup, the figure I reported regarding Sky's fiscal performance did relate to an 18% plunge in its profits. It was extrapolated from Mark Sweeny's report in The Guardian, who also said "[Sky] looks to stem customer defections to rivals such as BT." He also reported: "Sky is also launching a loyalty programme to 'reward and recognise members' based on how long they have been a customer as part of its strategy to stem customer churn." Sweeney does report that Sky is losing subscribers.

Jason-C, mate, why can you not get word to the Now TV overlords about the need for 1080p HD and DD 5:1 sound? You're our man on the inside, after all. Why won't they respond? If they're so cagey about basics like this, what's to say they're keeping mum about the fate of Now TV, too? Just a thought, but Now TV's lack of transparency is concerning.

@Anonymous User is also correct about how crucial Dolby Digital sound is in today's viewing experience. Heck, I was just reading an interview with Netflix's CEO Reed Hastings, who said:[Netflix] is improving the video quality, supporting Dolby digital, 4k, HDR, amazing new video quality if you buy a new smart TV from Sony or Samsung or LG or Philips. Even on a mobile phone we’re pioneering with LG and others HDR (high dynamic range), where the colours are vivid, this will be available on mobile phones and televisions.

Geezers, it's 2017! Now TV cannot placate us though nominally improved buffering rates to its service. We deserve better. We deserve more ... much more.

@Jason-C please advocate on our behalf. Tell them what we're saying. Bang on their office doors. Write it on the corridor walls. Make them listen, son.