cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 Audio output ??

Hi there ....

Having had a lengthy 'web chat' with one of The NOW help persons, they assured me that the Black Now box should output a 5.1 Dolby signal .... Which I was failing to get, so .... After several hours of fiddling with settings on both my AV amp & resetting the Now box a couple of times, I'm still not convinced a 5.1 output is happening.

Within the settings/audio menu I've tried both the 'auto detect' ..... Which did as it said & recognised the HDMI could carry DD and DTS .... And also manually set the audio at DD (along with all the other settings) but alas all that is being fed from the Now box appears to be stereo.

Has anyone out there managed to configure a 5.1 output & inform if I'm missing something really simple & stupid !

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

NOW TV only supply stereo audio.  Hopefully 5.1 is something on their list for the future, especially moviesSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
Legend 5
Legend 5
@ukbobboy regarding illegal sites. Folk take a risk using them that files won't be preloaded with viruses.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@4268

Hi 4268

I agree with you but I believe mentioning pirate sites is one of the four subjects that should never be discussed, or even broached, in this forum, i.e. the other three are politics, religion and sex.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A product which states that it has Dolby Digital+ and DTS output but has no mention on the packaging or advertising that nothing is available to view with that audio could be considered downright dishonest. Especially considering Dolby Digital 5.1 is available and being broadcast on Freeview!! Needless to say this is one customer that Now TV has lost and who will be taking the box back straight away for a refund. And will also never touch anything Sky again.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

A product which states that it has Dolby Digital+ and DTS output but has no mention on the packaging or advertising that nothing is available to view with that audio is downright dishonest....

Hi @Anonymous User,

The output capabilities of any hardware playback device does not mean that's what the NOW TV service offers too!

All 'smart' TV's support Dolby Digital Plus and some even support DTS but none of the UK TV broadcasters offer these flavour of audio!

By-the-way... Freesat offers 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. Freeview offers 5.1 channel AAC-HE audio (which is transcoded by your TV to Dolby Digital). And you'll find that ITV HD only offers 2 channel audio, regardless...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi SeeMoreDigital

Dolby Digital 5.1 has often been available on Freeview films if a digital output is taken from a set top box to an AV receiver or decoder.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...Dolby Digital 5.1 has often been available on Freeview films if a digital output is taken from a set top box to an AV receiver or decoder.

Actually no it's not! 

As I mentioned before... Freeview offers 5.1 channel AAC-HE audio which is transcoded by your TV to Dolby Digital, prior to being sent to your surround sound amplifier.

Depending on the make and model of your television, when you press the 'info' or 'option' button you will see the term 'HE-AAC'. Indeed, I'm currently viewing 'Planet Earth 2' on BBC 1 HD which is currently offering 5.1 Dolby Digital via Freesat. But, via Freeview it's 5.1 HE-AAC.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't actually use a television The output goes straight from the Freeview box to an AV decoder enabling 5.1 audio. Just a shame NOW TV doesn't do the same.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I don't actually use a television the output goes straight from the Freeview box to an AV decoder.

Then that means your Freeview box is performing the HE-AAC to Dolby Digital 'transcoding'... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly. It's just a shame NOW TV can't do the same.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's been nice chatting. Bye now and all the best.