cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 Audio output ??

Hi there ....

Having had a lengthy 'web chat' with one of The NOW help persons, they assured me that the Black Now box should output a 5.1 Dolby signal .... Which I was failing to get, so .... After several hours of fiddling with settings on both my AV amp & resetting the Now box a couple of times, I'm still not convinced a 5.1 output is happening.

Within the settings/audio menu I've tried both the 'auto detect' ..... Which did as it said & recognised the HDMI could carry DD and DTS .... And also manually set the audio at DD (along with all the other settings) but alas all that is being fed from the Now box appears to be stereo.

Has anyone out there managed to configure a 5.1 output & inform if I'm missing something really simple & stupid !

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

NOW TV only supply stereo audio.  Hopefully 5.1 is something on their list for the future, especially moviesSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having finally upgraded my receiver, I am definitely missing 5.1 from NowTV....c'mon, sort it out!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Having finally upgraded my receiver, I am definitely missing 5.1 from NowTV....c'mon, sort it out!

Out of interest.... What make and model of receiver have you got?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Denon X2300W.  Cracking bit of kit for a decent price (in the whole scheme of things).  Tis slightly frustrating that 5.1 doesn't seem to be on the cards (just noticed the other thread..) when Netflix and Amazon offer this, as does Sky via the HD box and live broadcast.  Weird.  Assume it's a licensing issue maybe.  Dolby Surround and DTS:X upmix the soundtrack and that helps to a degree, but it's not the same as native....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear friends,

We need to keep our campaign going. Stuart Brown is the director, planning and strategy implementation at Sky, meaning he’s the dude that can deliver the things we seek. E-mail ([email removed]) him the below letter and let’s keep on moving in our efforts to make Sky Cinema on Now TV worthwhile.

We are a movement, guys. We can make Now TV a streaming service to be proud of. Just watch and see. (Include your Now TV user name on the e-mail to Mr Brown, that way he know we’re real customers. Also, cc the journalist Joe Cox over at What Hi-Fi to bring our campaign to his attention because he interviewed Mr Brown recently about his work at Sky and Now TV - [email removed])

I love you all.

Dear Mr Brown,

You may now be aware of the campaign on Now TV’s community forum asking for the implementation of Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound and 1080p HD picture on applicable films featured on Sky Cinema. The campaign is on going and is asking for films on Now TV to be shown the way filmmakers want their art to be broadcast on your service. Considering that the technical improvements we are seeking have been in operation on Sky Cinema via the Sky HD box for years, to extend such features to Now TV customers is perfectly reasonable, especially in this era of competitive streaming media services.

Alas, Now TV’s reluctance to upgrade its technical possibilities for Sky Cinema is greatly unreasonable, especially when one considers that Dolby Digital has been a standard home cinema sound format since 1995, while 1080p HD has become so routine that Ultra HD is now superseding it. These are not new technologies, thus for Sky to not extend such features to its Now TV subscribers reeks of misguided selectivity. It seems very myopic and not fair to film-loving users of your streaming services.

Sky Cinema should be a celebration of the artistry of films, a platform that presents movies in the best ways possible. Cinema is a director’s medium, and no esteemed filmmaker will approve of their work being restricted in its technical aspects because Sky is not recognising how times and expectations have changed for consumers watching Hollywood movies at home on services like Now TV.

As the director, planning and strategy implementation at Sky, you are in a position to actuate the improvements to Now TV your customers seek. Our campaign will sustain until Sky Cinema on Now TV honours the art of film and introduces Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound and 1080p HD picture.

I am copying Joe Cox of What-Hi-Fi on this e-mail to make him aware of the campaign.

Best wishes,

Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User I do read your posts with great amusement.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear bredrins,

If you want to e-mail the above letter to Stuart Brown, director, planning and strategy implementation at Sky, then e-mail him at (email removed), and cc What Hi-Fi’s Joe Cox at (email removed).

Now TV’s incomprehensible stance at withholding Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound has vexed me even further as last night I rented Independence Day: Resurgence for £3.50 in standard definition via Amazon, and they still threw in DD 5:1 sound for nowt. Sky ‘s resistance on this front signals nothing short of complete contempt for its customer base; a real hatred for those forgoing a fixed contract for its Sky Cinema output.

This brings me on to a serious point, fellas, that of legality. For the first time, rights on digital content have been set out in legislation. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 stipulates that: “There are now also new, clear rules for what should happen if a service is not provided with reasonable care and skill or as agreed.” Sky Cinema is broadcast in DD via the HD box, yet that care and skill, for the vey same product, is not afforded to Now TV customers. Now TV is unreasonably treating its customers and I encourage you all to contact Consumer Services to bring it to their attention.

Furthermore, Sky Cinema via Now TV, does not offer any subtitles, thus in breech of the Equality Act 2010, where the provision of services must meet the needs of those with protected characteristics. Disabled people with sight and hearing problems are put at a disadvantage because of Now TV’s policies; therefore it is breaking the law. All this can be legally contested.

Now TV is taking liberties here, folks. We have a legal case. Fight with me.

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Irf7

As above, I appreciate your passion on this!

Fortunately, if you hadn't already seen, we do have movement on subtitles: We understand that support for these is an oft-requested addition, and Sky announced earlier this year they would become available across a range of their products - including NOW TV. Please Click Here for the press release.

To clarify, there is currently no legal requirement to provide either surround sound or subtitles on NOW TV.

On 5.1, we are aware of the call for it from this thread, and I have fed this back to the relevant teams. As before, I'd love to see some research on surround sound enabled households in the UK, as that would give a great idea of who we'd be catering for.

@4268: The addresses are publicly available, so it's okay to post them like that. We mostly disable the hyperlinks to protect any personal data customers might accidentally share. 🙂

Thanks,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Whilst I'm sure research showing the percentage of households that have surround sound capabilities would be useful, I'm not sure how relevant it is to whether it's available on NowTV or not.  After all, Sky's other services provide it for many films and TV - whether over broadcast or on catch up/download.  I doubt whether similar market research was carried out before providing it then....

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like a licensing or cost issue to me - installed base for Sky Cinema via STB is probably considerably higher than NowTV subscribers, therefore it's worth it to pay the licensing or pay for the encoding....

I'll see what's out there re households with 5.1 though, just out of interest...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Back at ya, Jason C!

You’re a diamond geezer for engaging in dialogue with me on the issues I’ve raised. Ta for feeding back my heartfelt plea for 5:1 Dolby Digital to be rolled out on Now TV to your relevant teams.

I feel, as a lover of cinema, like I have a real stake in Now TV’s development. After all, cinema is Sky Cinema’s raisons d'être, and to cut corners by not deploying maximal technical gusto (within reason, of course) on Now TV’s output leaves me feeling undervalued as a consumer. You guys have the movies, therefore I want to subscribe; however, I honestly believe that we as customers deserve at least the quality those receiving Sky Cinema via satellite get. We’re paying good money like them. It may be a few quid less here or there, but unlike them, we have eschewed expensive infrastructure by purchasing our own smart televisions and set-top boxes. We’re saving Sky money, dude.

Jason, mate, the 5:1 research you seek is above my pay grade. I’m just some bloke on his computer, you’re a part of Rupert Murdoch’s empire, and therefore, you have the resources to commission the aforementioned research if you want the data. The thing is, 5:1 DD is as standard on Sky HD: did you guys do research on that front or was it just implemented? What makes Sky HD a special case and Now TV exemption? Heck, there isn’t even an option for improved services via Now TV.

I cannot decipher any justifiable reason why the Sky Cinema we stream via Now TV is curtailed in ways that it is. It just seems so wrong and punitive.

Jason, pal, I ain’t gonna stop campaigning on this issue. I just can’t. It may seem mad to many of you, especially when, as a society, my efforts are probably better spent writing to MPs to better the lives of disabled people or abolish the need for food banks in Britain. Yet here I am, campaigning for 1080p HD and 5:1 DD on Now TV. Either I’m shameful or just want a fair deal from Sky. Either way, I’m campaigning and here to stay.

Much love, bro.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, so as you might expect, market research on such things is quite hard to pin down for free.  But there are a few links below that give a flavour...

In 2015, households with Surround Sound rose by 51%

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/about-us/news/gadgets-add-%C2%A3600-million-uk-energy-bill#_ftn1

And the shape of home cinema is changing:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/av-analysts-reveal-shifts-in-home-entertainment-market/...

Whilst according to that, traditional 5.1 set ups are declining, I don't think that changes the desire for 5.1 output - in fact, it may increase it.  As the price point for decent soundbars that do pump out 5.1 comes down, so you're likely to see greater demand. 

Or something. 🙂