cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 Audio output ??

Hi there ....

Having had a lengthy 'web chat' with one of The NOW help persons, they assured me that the Black Now box should output a 5.1 Dolby signal .... Which I was failing to get, so .... After several hours of fiddling with settings on both my AV amp & resetting the Now box a couple of times, I'm still not convinced a 5.1 output is happening.

Within the settings/audio menu I've tried both the 'auto detect' ..... Which did as it said & recognised the HDMI could carry DD and DTS .... And also manually set the audio at DD (along with all the other settings) but alas all that is being fed from the Now box appears to be stereo.

Has anyone out there managed to configure a 5.1 output & inform if I'm missing something really simple & stupid !

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

NOW TV only supply stereo audio.  Hopefully 5.1 is something on their list for the future, especially moviesSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jason-C, thanks for commenting.

The thing is that Dolby Digital is available on myriad blockbusters via Sky Cinema on the HD box. Therefore, why not extend that to Now TV customers? It's already there for the taking. There just has to be the will to do it. Are we second-tier clients to Now TV, perhaps?

There is a genuine want for this feature. Just read the comments on this forum. Now TV has issued a 5:1 and 7:1 ready box, therefore, the awareness is there.

Your content is great. Your technology ought to compliment that.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Commanda6... I agree with what you said about the Xbox...as I have only just started my free 14 day free trial and I was at it for a long time yesterday trying to get the 5.1 audio..but I downloaded the app on m,y PS3...and the display on my AV receiver said dobly digital..but it wasn't 5.1 one, every film I tried (appollo 13, locked in, the man etc) all came through my sound system but only came out my left and right channel..there was no center speaker dialogue..and now sound coming from any of my back speakers..it is a bit of a let down to be honest.. I will probably stick with it for a couple of months and probably drop now TV sorry to say as the multi channel audio is paramounr to me even more so than the the video quality.

Also I clicked on link that shows now TV features and it does say that "unfortunately now TV isn't currently available in 5.1 audio"...which of course is simply that, so no matter what hardware I have or what I buy...I will only get 2 channel sound using the now TV app on any kind of device.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...so no matter what hardware I have or what I buy...I will only get 2 channel sound using the now TV app on any kind of device.

Correct... Currently the NOW TV service only offers 2 channel (stereo) across all playback devices. Those of us with surround sound amplifiers tend to enable our amplifiers matrix audio options.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

yes I have done that too like DPLII movie setting...gives the impression of multi channel audio...which is better than stereo but nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Happy New Christmas, my fellow Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound and 1080p HD fans!

Have you all read about how Sky Television today had a serious panic attack commensurate with Paris Jackson’s absolute vitriol at its Arts’ channel depicting her late pop star father the comedy Urban Myths series? It turns out that Paris took major offence at Sky limning Michael Jackson as an oddity in the show, which, considering that the channel’s remit is in leftfield artistic expression, seems in keeping with what viewers like about it. Well, Paris’ lone lament (and some added petitioners) caused Sky to cancel the Michael Jackson episode (in which they have already spent hundreds of thousands of pounds) at seriously short notice, meaning that Sky will lose money in order to protect its corporate image.

Now here we are in 2017; Now TV subscribers still begging Sky to facilitate the introduction of Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound and 1080p HD picture on its Sky Cinema service. Whereas Paris Jackson managed to affect seismic change from Sky within hours, we the troglodyte Now TV consumers, have been campaigning for years, yet we remain hopelessly ignored and wickedly overlooked. It shows how little Sky thinks of its Now TV customers wanting the implementation of standard features already afforded to its satellite subscribers. We really are powerless, it seems.

One wishes we campaigners were on first name terms with filmmakers like Martin Scorsese, Christopher Nolan and Ridley Scott, just so that they can share our amazement at how Sky is neutering their art for no agreeable reason and perhaps petition with us to make Sky believe in better (get what I did there???) when it comes to Now TV customers wanting slightly improved features.

Campaign with me, homies!

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Nice to see you back @Anonymous User

Well you have a point, even the VHS tapes I bought back in the 80s had a Dolby ProLogic soundtrack on them.

image.jpeg

All the best for 2017! 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Irf

Your back and you still have that "raging fire", I'm still here and still mellow.

Anyway, remember when I said, "I would much rather all the possible facilities on the black box were activated, such as the USB and micro SD ports ....... those are readily achievable goals for most Now TV customers".

Well, as far as I understand, there is something Roku developed called the Roku Media Player which can also fully activate the USB port. All we need now is for NowTV to approve the RMP's use.

That is something which can be easily incorporated into the current NowTV boxes, readily installed from the App Store and, above all, used by NowTV box owners.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bredrins!

I fully support all of your wanton requests directed at Now TV. UK Bob, if it were up to me and I could speed dial Rupert Murdoch directly, then I’d order him to activate your Roku Media Player software post-haste. After all, you spent some shrapnel on purchasing it and ought to be valued for your custom. You should be delivered all of the latest developments as soon as they are ready for use. Now TV shouldn’t lag for the lag’s sake. Nay! Now TV must take its customers as seriously as they do the Michael Jackson estate. I am with you, son.

I myself use Now TV via an app on my smart television as there are already too many plugs occupied by set-top devices. It’s a good app, though, massively bereft of 5:1 sonic and 1080p HD glory. Now TV doesn’t care about my wanton needs, either. We must feel each other’s pain. Shame we’re not besties with Paris Jackson because I bet you Sky wouldn’t undervalue us then.

Oh, Andy, mate, what a VHS collection! Wow, kid. You are a true purveyor of the cinematic arts. You probably must remember a time when Hollywood made more than rubbish for overgrown infants that don’t read books. Modern times are indeed rubbish, but I do like contemporary movie stuff like Dolby Digital and High Def picture. Shame Now TV executives don’t read books either because if they did then profits will be second to artistic integrity.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My dearest 5:1 Dolby Digital surround sound and 1080p HD loving homies,

Our demand for upgraded audio on Now TV seems to have become deafened on this forum, as no-one has commented lately.

My campaigning troops onwards, though, one wonders if it is worth it. The reasons for my apathy are less to do with me, rather more, one wonders if Now TV is getting the chop soon.

You see, Sky Television had a major heart attack last year, as The Guardian reports that: “The pay-TV giant, which had an 18% plunge in profits at its UK business in the last six months of 2016 thanks to spiralling Premier League rights costs …. [Sky] is to make its full TV service of hundreds of channels available without the need for a satellite dish”

Jeremy Darroch, Sky chief executive, has announced that it would allow Sky to target up to 6 million households across Europe who cannot, or will not, have a satellite dish.

Sky Television is obviously on the back foot and against the ropes here. Therefore, one can reasonably speculate that there will be no more Now TV soon as Sky Cinema et al will supersede it, and 5:1 DD plus 1080p HD will just become a part of its streaming portfolios.

Sky Television had this coming, pals. If they had valued us and listened to our needs then stuff may have gone better for ‘em. They have been really blasé to our suffering. How we have endured, friends.

For shame.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why do you continue to moan and groan. If you are not satisfied, just leave.