cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stealing my money

I have been charged for a cinema pass that I didn’t even have which was £11.99 I don’t have that sort of spare money.

passes also keep getting added which I don’t do and am the only adult in the house. If I wasn’t to check I would of been charged. It feels like you are conning money from me

8 REPLIES 8
RoyB
Legend

When you say you are the only adult in the house, I presume this means you are not the only person in the house, and anyone with free access to NowTV on your TV and the ability to wield a remote can buy passes willy-nilly, perhaps not even realising they are doing it.

Go to My Account/Settings and PINs/ and set a Payment PIN that only you know. This should stop these mystery purchases from happening again.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cancelled subscription months ago. Now tv has taken 11.99 this month. I haven't re subscribed. What sort of scam is this? During covid season billing people and hoping they dont notice? Shame on you

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi T

You may not know this but Now TV have a hidden (generally unknown) policy of "helping out" (said in a sarcastic tone) customers who do not have any live passes in their account, i.e. they will apply a pass on your behalf, which in turn will trigger a monthly subscription.

So T, if you want to keep your account free of this help  you have to pro-actively patrol your account and cancel these helpful passes as and when you find them. 

UK Bob

starman73
Elite

I find that having a revolut account with £1.01 in it stops Now TV giving me passes without my knowledge.

If you have to provide a credit/debit card for any subscription use a Monzo/Starling/Revolut account with next to no credit on it.  You will never get charged.

Also Revolut has a cool feature you can pay extra for that changes the card number for every transaction. So you only pay once.

ukbobboy
Legend

@starman73 

Hi Starman

Sounds like the perfect way to stop companies dipping into your account without permission, especially those dodgy ring tone companies that charge mobile phone users a monthly subscription fee for nonsense.

I believe that, despite being against the Data Protection Act, mobile companies regularly pass information about their monthly contract users to these no-name "ring tone" companies.  And for this secret deal/collaboration the mobile companies get a regular "kick-back".

As I said before elsewhere, you can't trust anyone or any entity that has a hand in your pocket.

So a solution like Revolut is the perfect way to protect yourself from dodgy deal making companies that prey on working and vulnerable people.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This has also just happened to me. How do we get our money bank?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @starman73 

Hi Joanna

Unfortunately, you cannot and never will get your money back. Just because you know your mobile phone provider has a secret deal with a no-name ring tone company doesn't mean you'll ever be able to prove it, and both companies know this.

And what is worse, when you complain to your mobile provider they will insist that you're the one that struck up the deal with the no-name ring tone company (you've never contacted or even heard of). It's a legal form of daylight robbery or like being mugged every month.

From what I know, there are two ways to avoid this monthly scam/rip-off:

1) Pay As You Go = There is no monthly contract and nothing for mobile companies to pass on to their no-name ring tone collaborators.  However, PAYG  can be inconvenient for busy people and, in certain instances, leave vulnerable people out of contact from their loved ones.

2) Virtual credit cards such as Revolut, Monzo or Starling = That way you can top-up the card with just the amount you owe on your monthly mobile contract and leave nothing for the scammers to take.   But this will be something that has to be done regularly, in order to be effective, but some busy people may not have the time. 

Forum member Starman is more familiar with these cards, as I've never used them, and probably will share his experience with you, if asked.  

Personally, I use PAYG as the way to keep dodgy companies from sticking their "scammy fingers" in my pockets.

UK Bob

starman73
Elite

Using credit debit cards such as Revolut, Monzo or Starling

Very straightforward. Download the app. Sign up. And whenever anything happens (payments in/out) you get a notification. You immediately see if anything untoward is occurring.  Also if balance is low, the likes of Now TV or booking.com won’t be able to get money off you.

My son who is in further education puts his grant money into a normal Santander account and has a standing order of £50 into Monzo for his weekly spend.  I keep the Santander card so he isn’t tempted to use it. I use Revolut for all my online transactions as the card is a virtual card on my smartphone.