cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClockEnd
Advocate 1

Re: Price increase for monthly Cinema pass?

@Onelastrequest wrote:

....the passes are well over-priced compared to Netflix/amazon (except the entertainment pass) £9 to watch a day of sport? If you want to watch a specific football game, you could go to the pub,have a couple of pints and still save money!

i only (occasionally) use the movies in my bedroom and for my daughter. But she is more than happy with Netflix & amazon so I will be cancelling my pass from now on. I’m sure a lot of people will agree with most/all of my points and do the same, so I’m glad that poor service and a disgusting price rise from NowTV will actually cost them quite a bit of money in the long run 

Does anyone pay full price?  The only time I have cinema or entertainment is when I have a voucher that I had included with a stick on discount, an email offer from Now TV or the retention offer when I cancel.  Checking last 12 months, I have paid between £3 and £4 per month for either cinema or entertainment.   

Sports is different but again most I have paid in last 12 months is £13/month. As for going down the pub having a couple of pints and watching the games for less than £9, can you let me know where?  No pubs around here show Sky Sports anymore and in London it is hard to find pubs that do where a pint is less than £5. Wetherspoons perhaps, but they don’t show live sport.  When we went out to watch Wales v Ireland in football a few months ago, we looked up the sky pub finder and only in the third pub listed was the match showing. First pub was showing Germany, the second had closed.

Anyway, last weekend to get 31 days at £9.99/month. I agree,  £11.99 is too expensive and even £4/month is when I can rent new movies  from Chilli from 90p well before they turn up on Now TV and there is always something on Amazon Prime which costs £79/annum and has numerous other benefits.

0 Thanks
PaulNormanUK
Contributor 1

Now TV no longer supply paper passes with new hardware. This stops people buying the hardware only to take the passes and sell them on cheap on the likes of ebay etc. Buying hardware to get a cheaper monthly price is a waste of hardware and has an impact on the environment too. I noticed to that you can't buy monthly kids passes anymore from the likes of argos or currys? Before long your only option will to be pay the asking price displayed by Now TV. Cinema at £11.99 is expensive, I wouldn't pay £9.99 for it so Now TV don't have a hope in hell me paying £11.99 for it! I don't watch sport but if I did, I would do what the last poster said and go to the pub and watch it there and have a couple of pints and some change to spare.

At the end of the day, Sky, Virgin Media, Now TV etc charge what they do because some (the majority?) are willing to pay what these companies ask.

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Expert 2

@PaulNormanUK 

Paul

You said, "Before long your only option will to be pay the asking price displayed by Now TV."

Well, this is highly unlikely to happen because Sky/Now TV has a good business thing going with various retail companies, which is to sell them, at bulk discount and wholesale prices, huge amounts of passes. This not only put funds in their pockets but also offset some of the financial risk inherent in running an online TV streaming company.

Your idea, if it ever became reality, would cut them off from a huge, profitable and readily available source of income. And no company, in business to make money, would behave in such a reckless and detrimental manner.

And besides, if your idea ever did become a reality I would immediately stop being a Now TV customer.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
joemottershaw
Occasional Poster

This is actually a joke, right?

Like a late April Fools and we're all going to wake up tomorrow with the £2 back in our accounts?

I always thought £9.99 was steep for the content and lack of 1080p and 5.1 surround, but £11.99!? It's not even as if 1080p is modern technology either, or 5.1 surround for that matter.

The content has always been proper toilet as well, I just kept paying it these last few months for the odd film here or there, but it's literally cheaper and just as convienient to rent the films I actually want to watch from somewhere else. Plus I can literally watch Netflix in 4K with 5.1 surround sound for £9.99 a month and have WAY more content. Netflix churn out absolute belters every other day just for fun and they have done consistently for years.

I would love to see a timelined graph of active NowTV's Cinema subscriptions after all of this, I'd imagine it's just a picture of a backslash.

0 Thanks
joemottershaw
Occasional Poster

And to top it all off, Disney+ is being price at $6.99, for every Marvel film, every Star Wars film, all the newly announced Marvel and Star Wars spin off series, all of the Fox films and not just that, every Disney classic and live action movie.

For $6.99...

NowTV/Sky haven't got a change Smiley Very Happy

0 Thanks
Techno_Mystic
Occasional Poster

They've broken through the psychological £10 barrier for me.

I might go back to Cinema Paradiso, who offer unlimited DVD rental for £10 a month.  And I can buy my favourite films second hand on Amazon for a few quid each and keep them forever.

I used to think this pass was good value for money, but not so much now.

As somebody mentioned, this is because Comcast overpaid for Sky and now they are trying to get their money back.  Good luck with that.

MikeyFett
Contributor 4

NowTV just sent me an email saying they will refund me the extra £2 for this month's Cinema Pass. They never formally told me that the price was going up! Whoops.

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Expert 2

@Techno_Mystic 

Yeah TM

You said, "They've broken through the psychological £10 barrier for me." Well, me too.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
Paul201
First Poster

The price hike is absolutely ridiculous. I agree with a lot of the previous points. 

Why has the price gone up? I asked them on the online chat and all they could do was offer me a £2 refund! £2 extra per month is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things as long as there is justification but there's none...

- Same amount of movies

- Same 720p picture quality (in 2019!???)

- Same sound quality.

I wonder if the price will incraese even further if they improve on those three things? 

If that's the case or we do not receive adequet responce from NowTV then i'll also be cancelling this pass. 

0 Thanks
Chicotime
First Poster

People going on about moving to Sky etc and people talking about it as a separate company obviously don’t realise that Now TV is OWNED by Sky and if the Now TV subs have gone up then so will Sky at some point if it hasn’t already and then so will Virgin media to follow suit this is what always happens.

I use Now TV at the moment because it was convenient for me but after this hike in price will probably be moving to Netflix as it’s the best deal by far now.